• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CanonSniper

CanonSniper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMonroe, NC
  • Lenses:Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM; Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EFS 18-135mm f/3.5~5.6
  • Flashes:Canon 580EX, Profoto Acute2R w/ 2 D4 Heads (3x4 softbox, 2x2 softbox, white umbrella)
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:35 AM

I'm starting this because while we all know, or at least many of us, that Canon remade their mount in the '80's we don't really consider some of the technical ramifications of that change.

First up, I'm sure most of us have realized that Canon made their new mount much larger. This allows Canon to be able to design their lenses in ways others can't, and I believe this may be why Canon's 70-200 lens doesn't have the focus breathing problem that other manufactures' 70-200 lenses have. I could be wrong, so it might bear some research, and this also might mean that the other companies are out of luck making a truly comparable lens.

Next, why does Canon not let you put EF-S lenses on full frame bodies? I'm pretty sure that I read in some of Canon's documentation, somewhere, that the reason for this is that for at least some of their EF-S lenses, they place the back element further back in the mount to place the lens closer to the sensor. In an APS-C camera, the smaller mirror won't hit the lens, but if placed on a full frame which has a larger mirror, the mirror will hit the lens. I'm fairly certain that generally speaking, it's better to put the lens as close to the sensor as possible, so this is probably an overall good thing, though it does cause the problem of not being able to make use of the EF-S lenses on full frame bodies when shooting video. There's always a compromise.

Comments, corrections, other ways Canon's mount effects photography, and so on are welcomed!

#2 Chimpy

Chimpy

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationLiverpool England
  • Lenses:Canon 70-300 mm IS L
    Canon 100 mm IS L Macro
    Canon 24-105 mm IS L
    Canon 100- 400 mm IS L MK II
    Canon 50 mm f1.8 STM
    Canon 1.4 TC MK III
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 1DX MK II
    Canon EOS 1DX
    Canon EOS 7D MK II
    Canon GX5
    Canon SX240 HS

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:28 AM

What's your point of this post?

Chimpy.

#3 CanonSniper

CanonSniper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMonroe, NC
  • Lenses:Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM; Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EFS 18-135mm f/3.5~5.6
  • Flashes:Canon 580EX, Profoto Acute2R w/ 2 D4 Heads (3x4 softbox, 2x2 softbox, white umbrella)

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

There are people, Tony for one, who would like to have a proper Nikon equivalent to Canon's 70-200mm lens. I know enough to know that the larger Canon mount might be impacting this. It may be that the smaller Nikon mount may prevent Nikon from ever making a true equivalent of that Canon lens. And this may not be the only lens where this is the case, and information like this could be important to people in deciding to go with Canon vs some other brand. Personally, one of the reasons I went with Canon was the mount. I felt that Canon gave itself room to grow early on in ways Nikon and other companies didn't. They have been very big in innovations in photography. Removing the auto focus motor from the body and putting it in the lens was brilliant. it got rid of the clunky mechanical connection and made their auto-focus faster. The mechanical aperture connection was also removed, which meant no bent arm to mess up the aperture opening correctly and potentially messing up an exposure. It also meant the lenses could be more fully sealed against dust so that they can last much longer before needing to be cleaned out. Back when the Digital Rebels came out, I could buy a battery grip that gave me access to the shutter button, command dial, and Aperture/Exposure compensation button so that I could operate the camera almost the same way vertically as I could horizontally, while holding the camera the same way. On Nikons, even the high end ones, you typically didn't have more than the shutter button on the battery grip. Canon was the first 35mm format camera company to make a full frame camera (at least to the best of my knowledge) the 1D, which was 11MP, back around 2000 when most other high-ends were only 8, and were an APS-C size. It was stuff like that, that led to my decision to shoot Canon. I know, right now, their sensors are trailing the Sony sensors. But, they were one of the few using CMOS while everyone else was using CCD. I like the feel of a Canon in my hand, I love the layout they use, it's very easy and intuitive to me. Understanding a companies decisions, and what they are doing with them is something I feel people should know when deciding what to choose. For Tony, Nikon not having an equivalent 70-200mm was a deal breaker for switching to Nikon for portraits. Is this a result of Canon's mount, and if so, are there others we should know about that might effect our decision, and should that information effect our decision?

• Reciprocityrules likes this

#4 Chimpy

Chimpy

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationLiverpool England
  • Lenses:Canon 70-300 mm IS L
    Canon 100 mm IS L Macro
    Canon 24-105 mm IS L
    Canon 100- 400 mm IS L MK II
    Canon 50 mm f1.8 STM
    Canon 1.4 TC MK III
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 1DX MK II
    Canon EOS 1DX
    Canon EOS 7D MK II
    Canon GX5
    Canon SX240 HS

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:18 PM

Cheers Milton, very good PR for Canon, you are preaching to the converted lol. Post some photos up.

Chimpy.
  • David Pavlich likes this

#5 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationMandeville, LA
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

Welcome to the site!  Sounds like a good post for DP Review.  We like gear here, but the technical stuff isn't real high on the list of topics like it is on DPR.  We like pictures here more than anything else.

David

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#6 P Bender

P Bender

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,994 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Lenses:EF 600 f 4.0L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 2.8L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 5.6L USM
    EF 28-300 f 3.5-5.6L IS USM
    EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II
    EFS 18-135mm IS USM
    EF 16-35MM F 2.8L USM II
    EF Extender 1.4 iii
    EF Extender 2.0 iii
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX ii speedlight
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DsR
    Canon 7D Mark ii
    Canon 7D
    Van Guard 283 CT Tripod
    Induro Stealth CLT 403 Tripod
    4th generation Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal Head

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

Welcome to the site Sniper, I will echo what David said, most of the regulars have enough gear to cripple a strong mule. We are more interested in seeing what great shots you have taken. Post, and let us enjoy your work, looking forward to some nice ones!
Paul

Photos are a moment in time, that can only be captured once.

#7 CanonSniper

CanonSniper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMonroe, NC

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'm sure most of you do have plenty of gear. I figured that there would be some people new to this forum like me, and that some of them, thanks to Tony and Chelsea's books might be new to photography and curious about gear. Plus there are people like me who do like the techy stuff. I will keep you guys in mind though with future posts, and I'll try to get some photo's up. I noticed a gallery option on my profile, but can't seem to use it, not sure why, and not sure where the best place on here to post photos would be. I haven't had as much time as I would like to peruse this place. I'm getting married in August, and between that and work, I've barely had time to even post. I do have a couple photos up in regards to my flash photography post if anyone is curious, and more will be coming. You can also check out my site: http://www.mwphotographyii.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CanonMount, crop lenses, 70-200, focus breathing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users