• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationQuebec city (Canada)
  • Lenses:Nikkor AF-S 35mm 1:1.8G DX
    Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 F4.5-5.6G IF-ED
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

Wanted to share with you these shots taken last thursday night with a friend of mine.
Loved the experience but Wow what am I getting into .... hehe got a lot of practice to do before getting good shots.
It confirmed to me that I DEFINITELY need a wider lens (35mm on DX isn't wide enough to get a good wide sky view)

Please be indulgents as I post these here not to "show off my skills" (VERY not indeed) ... but to get you an idea of where I am starting from for my future posts =P

So here is the very first shot taken after setting my focus ... was surprised I got a shooting star right off the bat =)
No stacking here ... only some adjustements tried "randomly" on LR 
26275088734_ff53e4a85e_z.jpgFirst try

Here I hope you will regonize Cassiopeia and Andromeda (5 shots stacking and LR adjustements)
26846460866_a3eeb07669_z.jpgCassiopeia & Andromeda

Have lots of things and ideas to try on my next tries.
Hope you enjoy.

#2 Valleyman

Valleyman

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationWales, Pontywaun
  • Lenses:Canon 50mm
    Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6
    Canon EFS 18-55mm
    Canon ES 400mm
    Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Tamron 90mm Macro
    Canon 10-18mm
  • Flashes:Ring Flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D MK11

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:19 AM

Always a favourite is the moonwhich will be at its best for a photo in 6 days as it moves from New moon to first qtr during the next seven days.

Also you have got Jupiter sitting in Leo at the moment and will be visible from dusk. it will just about be due south from you and about 45 degres above the hoizon.

One for the future and always a favourite is The Orion Nebula. will be back with us in about 6 months time.

Also good to get is M13 a star cluster in Hercules again a bit of a wait for that to come back.

Download a programme called Stellerium. It is free and gives you real time sky so you can always see what is going on up there

Pat

#3 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

What the...???

A shooting star first time ??

Clearly you have "the gift" B)

I like both your photos a lot.

There's a really helpful bloke called Ian Norman on youtube and also at www.lonelyspeck.com who has some fantastic vids on using PS to process astophotographs.

I've found him of great help.

#4 emorri7

emorri7

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationQuebec city (Canada)
  • Lenses:Nikkor AF-S 35mm 1:1.8G DX
    Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 F4.5-5.6G IF-ED
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

Orion Nebula will definitely be part of my next target but as you say won't be back until fall.
We have observed Saturn but it was just a little too cloudy to get good shots at it.
I've got the app Sky Map but I'll take a look at that Stellerium program you mentionned.

So you say that starting from new moon I got around 7 days worth going out for stars?

Also ... I didn't realized before getting into it how much at mercy we are about the weather. Perfect conditions about moon phase and cloudless sky will be a "challenge".

You guys have any suggestion about a decent wide lens on DX for shooting star (on budget) ??

Thanks again for your comments I really appreciate

#5 Valleyman

Valleyman

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationWales, Pontywaun
  • Lenses:Canon 50mm
    Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6
    Canon EFS 18-55mm
    Canon ES 400mm
    Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Tamron 90mm Macro
    Canon 10-18mm
  • Flashes:Ring Flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D MK11

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

you can go for stars for 365 days but during the 1st Qtr to 3rd Qtr just aim northward away from the Moon.

You will be amazed just how much we are dependent on the clear skies we don't get many here in South Wales.

I would keep your exposers to below 10 seconds to avoid star trails. and take plenty of shots and stack them.

Get Registax  for free, just google it.

when I was doing Astro, I used the Canon EOS software for and connected the Camera to the PC, See you got a Nikon so not sure they do a software for remote control?

The good thing about doing remote you can set it up to do hundreds of timed shots while you are indoors keeping warm :)

A good favourite during bad moon times is to do a star trail round Polaris.

just point to Polaris select bulb "click" and wait for about a hour and pray for a clear sky :)

Pat

#6 mapleleaf-mick

mapleleaf-mick

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon Saskatchewan
  • Lenses:Pentax 12-24mm, Pentax DA 18-55mm, Pentax DA 50-200mm, Pentax DA 35mm AL, Pentax FA 100-300, Pentax A macro 50mm, Pentax A 50mm, Tokina AF235 II 20-35mm, Tokina 28-70mm Pro II, Tamron 70-200mm, Sigma (Bigma) 50-500mm, Pentax DA 70mm Limited, Pentax FA 77mm Limited, Pentax FA 100-300mm Macro, Tamron-F AF Teleconverter 1.4X Pz-AF MC4
  • Flashes:Metz
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Pentax Program Plus, K10, K5 and K3

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:35 AM

love your shots. I am going to give it a shot. I am up here in Canada. I am lucky with clear sky's and unlite locations. I am thinking of trying an F1.8 35mm on a cropped sensor Pentax K3.
love your shots. I am going to give it a shot. I am up here in Canada. I am lucky with clear sky's and unlite locations. I am thinking of trying an F1.8 35mm on a cropped sensor Pentax K3.
Sorry for the duplication. Couldn't see/know how to edit. Must have hit enter twice...😣

Michael J. Costello FCGA

I wish I was half the man my dogs think I am

#7 Alpinpilot

Alpinpilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:18-55 kit lens /55-250mm kit lens
  • Camera Body or Bodies:canon 70d/500d

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

On new years eve I tried Astrophotography for the first time!

What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users