3 replies to this topic

#1 Jstorm_57

Jstorm_57

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington, USA
  • Lenses:Canon: 24-105mm f/4.0L Macro, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 400mm f/5.6L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZE
    Lensbaby Composer & Scout with adjuncts
  • Flashes:2x Canon 600EX-RT, Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, 60D, EOS Rebel

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

I have a few questions for the group and thank you all in advance for your comments. Feel free to be critical if it is constructive.

This was a once in a lifetime shot. Since I took this photograph, the dock has been rebuilt and is no longer accessible to the general public. I plan to exhibit this image in a show next year if I can work it up to where I am satisfied with the end result.

1. I removed several artifacts from the sky but the lens flare in the upper right still remains. Does the lens flare from the overhead lighting detract too much from the image?
  2. There are many contradictory lines in this shot. Are my horizons and lines straight enough and pleasing to the eye? Did I miss anything?
  3. On board the tug, should I try to bring down the highlights on the floodlights? 

Details: Taken October 2014 at 2330 hours, Canon 60D, ISO 100, 24mm, f/4.0, 5 second exposure. Post using PS and Nik Silver Effects Pro

Attached Files

• dking1981 likes this

"I'm just tryin to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less." Gus McCrae - Lonesome Dove

#2 dking1981

dking1981

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMobile,AL
  • Lenses:Kit lens that came with the Nikon D3300
    18-55 AFS VRii
    55-200 AFS VRii
    "Nifty Fifty" 50mm AF-S
  • Flashes:2xYongnuo 560iv
    1xYounnuo 560TX
    1xYongnuo 468ii
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D3300

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

So I think that this is a very good pic in the terms of composition and quality. This will come down to what is pleasing to you and will make you happy. I would really bring the exposure of the lights on the ship way down and try to recover some lost details from where they are blowing out different parts of the boat.  As far as lens flare goes, I like it a lot. It is not distracting for me at all. It helps drag my eyes around the picture more. Horizon of the shot looks level to me, but you can put it through the lens correction in LR and see what it does to it. I would like to see some more of the water on the left hand side unless that was not caught in the camera. 

Overall, I have to say that I love this picture. It would probably look great printed on a metallic type paper.

"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one" -Bruce Lee

#3 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:21 PM

I really like the image and personally would not change it except to see if bringing the exposure down on the two stern lights is possible. The lens flare is not a distraction for me.

• Jstorm_57 likes this

#4 Jstorm_57

Jstorm_57

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington, USA
  • Lenses:Canon: 24-105mm f/4.0L Macro, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 400mm f/5.6L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZE
    Lensbaby Composer & Scout with adjuncts
  • Flashes:2x Canon 600EX-RT, Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, 60D, EOS Rebel

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

dking1981 & John W - I'll work on the stern lights and see if I can bring them back into the photo. Thank you for the suggestion and compliments. Unfortunately, in this particular image, I don't think I had room to spare on the left margin. I'll go back and look at the original and see if I can bring in more negative space on that side.

Thank you both,

John

"I'm just tryin to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less." Gus McCrae - Lonesome Dove

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maritime, Washington, Tugboat, Night Photography, Black and White

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users