• Lenses:Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    Tamron AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 (IF)
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN468-II Speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:NIKON D3
    NIKON D7100

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hey fellow Stunners,

I just finished creating the mock up of my first portfolio, after watching Tony and Chelsea's video on squarespace and after researching other hosting sites I decided if I really want to make my photography develop more I needed to make this step.

I would appreciate your opinions, critics, etc. I have tough skin and completely understand the need of CC4. Please don't hold back.

Thank you! I have until the 3rd of January to decide if I am going to launch this live. I'd love to hear from you before then. Feel free to reply to this post or you can also message me.

I have purchased a domain but haven't been able to link it yet to the squarespace site. I have also set up a business email with my domain name ([email protected]) to make it more legit. The domain I own is also www.gooddogphotos.com.

Thanks again, I appreciate your insight!

willy-harris-6vmx.squarespace.com

website and portfolio (www.gooddogphotos.com)

Facebook Fan Page (www.facebook.com/gooddogphotography)

Twittley Tweet Twitter (www.twitter.com/gooddogphotos)

Instagram (http://instagram.com...dogphotography/)

#2 pnnylnskywlkr

pnnylnskywlkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    Nikon 18-55mm f 3.5-5.6
    Nikon 70-300mm f 4.5-5.6
  • Flashes:Neewer TT560 Speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Nikon D60

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

The link says "Squarespace trial accounts are not visible to the public."

Kristina

#3 willdog26

willdog26

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIdaho
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    NIKON D7100

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

The link says "Squarespace trial accounts are not visible to the public."

There should be an option to view as a visitor, click on the visitor tab, it will then ask you to enter in the 5 digit code on the screen, and then you should have access to the site.

I hope this helps, thank you for trying to look at it :)

#4 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas
  • Lenses:Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 55-210mm f/3.5-5.6, Sony 16-55mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Flashes:2 Yongnuo 600RT, Rovelight 600, AB800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, Sony a6000

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:44 AM

Willdog, may I ask your intentions with your site?  The reason I ask as it seems a little disorganized, and this may be because you haven't learned all the ins and outs of Squarespace yet.  Your portfolio should represent your BEST work, and should be organized as such.  I really like the baseball shots, but I think you have a bit too many.  What I would suggest, would be to have a "Sports" section with your best shots and then you can have individual galleries of the games that you capture.  In the sports section provide some diversity and different angles, captures, etc.  I think that your section "Jordanelle State Park" is just a bunch of snapshots and doesn't really represent the product that you want to offer.  So personally, I would remove it.  To put it bluntly, take a step back and look at the overall feel of your site; ask yourself, Does my site represent my style?, If I were a family, where would I go to see those picture styles?  Is my best work represented?  I like your dog photos, but again, there are some in there that I don't think represent your best work.  Please feel free to visit my site and notice how I have it organized.  Most people have stated that my site is rather clean and simple and easily navigated.  I also don't bombard people with tons of photos to look through, and have them organized accordingly with only about 12 pictures in each section.  I hope this is CC4 enough for you and I hope that it does not come across as "My site is better than yours" attitude.  I have worked very hard on my website though and made many iterations of it and am still tweaking.  Just My Two Cents!  Thanks for Sharing! :) :) <Team Smiley Face>

Be sure to visit and comment our users section:

Flickr:  http://www.flickr.co...os/[email protected]/

“There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes.” 
― Abraham Lincoln

#5 willdog26

willdog26

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIdaho
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    NIKON D7100

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

Willdog, may I ask your intentions with your site? The reason I ask as it seems a little disorganized, and this may be because you haven't learned all the ins and outs of Squarespace yet. Your portfolio should represent your BEST work, and should be organized as such. I really like the baseball shots, but I think you have a bit too many. What I would suggest, would be to have a "Sports" section with your best shots and then you can have individual galleries of the games that you capture. In the sports section provide some diversity and different angles, captures, etc. I think that your section "Jordanelle State Park" is just a bunch of snapshots and doesn't really represent the product that you want to offer. So personally, I would remove it. To put it bluntly, take a step back and look at the overall feel of your site; ask yourself, Does my site represent my style?, If I were a family, where would I go to see those picture styles? Is my best work represented? I like your dog photos, but again, there are some in there that I don't think represent your best work. Please feel free to visit my site and notice how I have it organized. Most people have stated that my site is rather clean and simple and easily navigated. I also don't bombard people with tons of photos to look through, and have them organized accordingly with only about 12 pictures in each section. I hope this is CC4 enough for you and I hope that it does not come across as "My site is better than yours" attitude. I have worked very hard on my website though and made many iterations of it and am still tweaking. Just My Two Cents! Thanks for Sharing! :) :)

Joe thank you for your feedback, I appreciate your opinion and value your expertise. I will be tweaking the site over the next two weeks. I am also playing with a photoshelter trail right now too. I'm leaning more towards that service as it will be a little. Ore user friendly and the functionality of the store I feel better aligns with my goals in the long run.

I will add the link to the photoshelter site next week. Thank you again, I appreciate you and the time you took to look at my portfolio and to provide some great feedback. You are why I enjoy this community.

I think you may have looking at my shutterfly page, which isn't my portfolio page. I was confused a bit when you said, jordanelle pics. That site is just for fun. Below I've copied a link to the squarespace page.

https://willy-harris...squarespace.com

http://gooddogphotos.photoshelter.com/

#6 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas
  • Lenses:Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 55-210mm f/3.5-5.6, Sony 16-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Willdog, I was looking at the wrong site! LOL!  However, some of my statements still hold true.  I think you should reduce the number of pics in each of your galleries and pick your absolute best.  Maybe have someone else pick them for you.  This site is much better organized though and feels like you have a purpose.  :) :) <Team Smiley Face>

― Abraham Lincoln

#7 Dreamjar

Dreamjar

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTennessee
  • Lenses:Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED
    Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED
  • Flashes:Nikon Speedlight SB-600
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D-40

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have only recently built my own site so I am not an expert but another pair of eyes is usually a good thing.  Starting with your reel on the home page I think you need to get rid of the dog with glare in his eyes (or edit it), also the two shots with people walking (the one on the beach and in the tall trees), lastly the one of the baseball player dropping in the bat.  I would replace them with the baseball player being tagged out with one hand on the ground (I like the sliding one too but prefer the other), the boat with the moss growing on it, and the one with the yellow flowers and the mountains in the back ground.  These were all sharp eye catching images.

Your portfolios inside needs what Joe said above unless your goal here is just to have a place for your friends and family to see what you have been up to.  It looks as though you are selling images.  Are they for the players and their families or stock photography?  If they are for the players you may want to have a private page site if they are for stock you may need to water mark them.

• willdog26 likes this

#8 willdog26

willdog26

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIdaho
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    NIKON D7100

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review my website build as it has been in the process. I have updated the site now, almost at 80% completion. I am hoping to have it 100% ready by the first of the year. Please take a look around and let me know if you like the changes I have made from your suggestions, I also welcome more feedback and comments on how user friendly the site is.

I did want to pose a question for you all though. I spoke with a sports photographer who has shot tons of athletic events on the professional level, I think something like 4 world series, a handful of NBA finals, NCAA final 4, etc. He has been published on over 50 sports covers. He was telling me he thinks $8.00 is appropriate for 500 px personal use download (i.e. facebook, twitter, and other social media outlets). I am charging a little less on my site ($4.95) and I saw on Joe's site you are currently running $.39 for a download. There seems to be such a wide spectrum here. What are all your thoughts?

http://www.gooddogph...hotoshelter.com

Thanks,

Willy

#9 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

Willdog, I will be upping my prices very soon as well.  I do not have a pricing structure that I like as of yet, so I am still playing with it.  I think really it depends on what people are willing to spend and what you feel your work is worth.  Also, this is not my main source of income, so I price it accordingly.  I went to another photographer's pricing and he charges $500 minimum for a CD, so it's still all over the place.  My main selling point is that I do not offer packages.  I charge $125 per one hour session for up to 3 people and then they can pick and choose what pictures, prints, or files they want from the site, ala carte.  So I make my money up front and still make some money off the prints and downloads.  Hope this helps! :) :) <Team Smiley Face>

• willdog26 likes this

― Abraham Lincoln

#10 willdog26

willdog26

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIdaho
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    NIKON D7100

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Willdog, I will be upping my prices very soon as well.  I do not have a pricing structure that I like as of yet, so I am still playing with it.  I think really it depends on what people are willing to spend and what you feel your work is worth.  Also, this is not my main source of income, so I price it accordingly.  I went to another photographer's pricing and he charges $500 minimum for a CD, so it's still all over the place.  My main selling point is that I do not offer packages.  I charge $125 per one hour session for up to 3 people and then they can pick and choose what pictures, prints, or files they want from the site, ala carte.  So I make my money up front and still make some money off the prints and downloads.  Hope this helps! :) :) <Team Smiley Face>

I totally plagiarized your structure on my site :) I agree with prices being all over the place. I decided on my pricing after meeting with the big time professional guy. I figured I am not at his level so my prices needed to be lower for sure. I am also shooting a unique demographic so I will need to play with the event fees for sure. I am hoping the prices will secure me some jobs. I too am doing this on the side to earn some extra income, make money doing what you love right!

Thank you again for all your input and advice, you are a great Stunner for sure!

• Joe Baker likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users