• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:18-55mm IS kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 40mm f/2.8, EF75-300 f/4-5.6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:T3i

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hello,

I just noticed there is a significant difference between my image browser and when the photo opens in PS. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make them look the same?

Thx.

Attached Files

Shanta @
P.U.S.H.life Photography
POWERFUL. UNLIMITED. STRONG. HEROic. life.

#2 Chad Bailey

Chad Bailey

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Lenses:Tamron 28-75, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 18-55 kit lens, Canon 55-200mm kit lens
  • Flashes:Sunpak DigiFlash 30000, Quantaray PZ40X II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon T3i, Canon Rebel XT (350D)

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

You'll experience this a lot through many photo viewing programs... Usually the problem is the color space, and the conversion thereof.

In your case, it looks like you may be viewing a raw file on the right. Just keep in mind RAW files are a whole different animal, and sometimes the interpretation and representation of data can vary widely between one program to the next. I don't think you'll be able to fix that if you are referring to a RAW image file.

Another thing to consider is that photoshop takes advantage of your graphics processor which could affect tonal quality (maybe not necessarily in a bad way, photoshop is likely the more accurate representation).

At any rate, I would think it is most likely related to your color settings and the conversion of color space. On windows, I use the command CTRL+SHIFT+K. I would imagine it is command+shift+K for Mac.

Try changing your "Working Space RGB:"  setting from "Adobe 1998" to one of the sRGB options. You can also get into your more advanced settings and change your Engine field to a different one.

It is likely you'll be able to get the images to match using this settings dialog box, but I don't recommend it depending on your equipment. I edit in sRGB myself, but if my monitor supported a wider gamut, I would be viewing in adobe 1998. You will be surprised the differences in how programs interpret images when you begin putting them under a magnifying glass. Different choices in color spaces is pretty common. Also, automatic adjustment of photos to make them "look better" is more common than you might think.

When it comes to editing, you always want to favor on the side of accuracy. If you begin with an accurate edit, any changes a particular program might apply to an image will be consistent with all of the other images viewed in that same program so it should inevidably look like it's supposed to.

I hope my ramblings were helpful lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users