• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Samantha Schannon

Samantha Schannon

SDP Team Member

• Administrators
  • 178 posts
  • LocationConnecticut Shoreline
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S FX, Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS, Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Wide Angle, Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S, Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART DG HSM, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-468 II i-TTL Speedlite, Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight, AlienBees B800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D700, Nikon D750, Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G7 Mirrorless

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

pricing is not easy, and takes a lot of calculating.  When I first started out I was charging gas money because I wanted to shoot a lot and I needed and wanted the practice.  As I got busier and in higher demand (cause I was charging $40 lol) I realized I needed to charge more.  I slowly increased as I felt my skills improve.  When I made the decision to do this for a living the numbers drastically changed because now I had to figure in a multitude of new expenses.  I've attached a sheet to help figure out your cost of goods and how to calculate your worth.  I use Smugmug for my website and square for credit cards.  I am currently in transition from being a "shoot and burn" photographer, to an in person sales model.  I have ordered samples of the wall art I want to offer and plan to do an ordering presentation after the session.   In your beginning stage, I think you need to figure out what your time is worth.  If you want to make $25 an hour for example, calculate your travel time, edit time, time you speak to the client, shooting time etc. and divide it out.  If your more interested in gaining the practice than charge less.  Your pricing model will continue to change as you get better so it only gets more confusing as you go further haha.  I'm nodding off so hopefully this made some sort of sense.  :)

Attached Files

Samantha Schannon
Samantha Annette Photography

www.SamanthaAnnette.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SamanthaAnnettePhotography
Twitter: @CT_Photographer
Instagram: CT_Photographer

#22 Billy

Billy

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Lenses:Sigma 19mm/2.8, Sigma 30mm/2.8, Panasonic 45-175mm, Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN560-III
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic G3, Olympus E-M10

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

Fantastic, Sam!

• Samantha Schannon likes this

#23 Boosted240

Boosted240

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Lenses:Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
    Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS
    Rokinon 135mm F/2
    Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f/1.4
    Helios 77m-4 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 24-105mm F/4 IS
  • Flashes:Nissin i40
    Neewer TT850 Li-Ion x2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony Alpha A7RII

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

I'm also on the verge of "charging" for my work, I've setup the website, (I also use Shootproof) business cards, even started forward with the LLC.   BUT the pricing is *killing* me.  I can't figure it out to save my life. 

Best I've come up with so far is:

Base fee on arrival to location, paid via card or cash (paypal)

Proofs uploaded after post, then enough charged for prints or (small res) digital downloads to cover the rest of my time.  I'm using ProDPI.  (I'm in love with their quality and pricing)

I'm sort of stalled (with the business) due to being stumped. (and winter honestly) I also do video, and that's really blowing my brain.

This thread has been insanely helpful.  Thanks to everyone involved!

• Stov3top likes this

#24 Samantha Schannon

Samantha Schannon

SDP Team Member

• Administrators
  • 178 posts
  • LocationConnecticut Shoreline
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S FX, Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS, Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Wide Angle, Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S, Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART DG HSM, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-468 II i-TTL Speedlite, Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight, AlienBees B800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D700, Nikon D750, Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G7 Mirrorless

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:35 AM

Try using this to help calculate your costs. Someone linked it to me just today actually.  Pricing is a struggle for everyone, don't feel bad!!

https://nppa.org/calculator

Samantha Schannon
Samantha Annette Photography

www.SamanthaAnnette.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SamanthaAnnettePhotography
Twitter: @CT_Photographer
Instagram: CT_Photographer

#25 Markb_wi

Markb_wi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 180mm f2.8
    Nikon 24-85mm G
    Nikon 50mm 1.4

Sony 50mm 1.8
    Other Sony
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN560III x6 with 560TX controller and 2 RF603 triggers

Minolta 5600HS
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D810
    Sony NEX-7

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

For market research purposes go to google maps. Zoom in to your town.  Search for Photography, portrait studio, photo studio etc. and see what pops up.  Go to each website and try to find rates.  

Repeat for nearby towns.

I made a matrix in excel with the following columns:

Location (city)

Name

Website

Skill 1-3 (1 is beginner, 2 is same as me, 3 is better than me)

Active yes/no

Then created columns to matrix out which market areas they cover

Wedding

Headshot

Portrait

Boudoir

Seniors

Couples

Pets

Babies

Children

Families

Maternity

Events

Fitness

Sports

Professional

Then rates

1hr

2hr

4x6

5x7

8x10

11x14

16x20

20x30

24x36

Digital

then notes

Under the grid you can figure how many of your competitors provide which services.  For example, none of my competitors list Fitness as one of their niche areas.

For those who list prices you can figure the average and median prices for your area.

This takes some time but it's going to give you an education.

• Billy and redcat like this

#26 michael cawley

michael cawley

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:Tamron 18-270, Sigma 55-200, Canon 28-105, Canon 80-200
  • Flashes:Canon 550
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon reble t2i, canon 10D

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

anyone have a template for there contract that i could use i am getting my business started and need to get one started.

#27 BeniLupu

BeniLupu

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationWaco Texas
  • Lenses:Canon 85mm f1.2 ii
    Canon 70-200mm f2.8 mark ii
    Canon 70-200mm f4
    Canon 10-22mm
    Canon 50mm f1.4
    Tamaron 24-70mm f 2.8 SP DI VC
    Tamron 90 mm f2.8 macro
  • Flashes:Genesis 692sp
    2-Yongnuo 600ex-rt
    With transmitter
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5D Mark iv
    Canon 7D Mark ii
    Canon 6D
    Canon 60D
    Canon PowerShot SX110 IS (first camera) LOL

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

pricing is not easy, and takes a lot of calculating.  When I first started out I was charging gas money because I wanted to shoot a lot and I needed and wanted the practice.  As I got busier and in higher demand (cause I was charging $40 lol) I realized I needed to charge more.  I slowly increased as I felt my skills improve.  When I made the decision to do this for a living the numbers drastically changed because now I had to figure in a multitude of new expenses.  I've attached a sheet to help figure out your cost of goods and how to calculate your worth.  I use Smugmug for my website and square for credit cards.  I am currently in transition from being a "shoot and burn" photographer, to an in person sales model.  I have ordered samples of the wall art I want to offer and plan to do an ordering presentation after the session.   In your beginning stage, I think you need to figure out what your time is worth.  If you want to make $25 an hour for example, calculate your travel time, edit time, time you speak to the client, shooting time etc. and divide it out.  If your more interested in gaining the practice than charge less.  Your pricing model will continue to change as you get better so it only gets more confusing as you go further haha.  I'm nodding off so hopefully this made some sort of sense.  :)

Very cool of you to share!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users