Canon 85mmF/1.8
    Canon16-35F/2.8L II
    Canon 70-200F/2.8L II
    Canon 24-70F/2.8L
    Canon 100mmF/2.8L
  • Flashes:580EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5dmkIII

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Photography is a loved pastime and like most of you I'm sure, I get requests from friends/family to do events for them, which I tend to graciously refuse.  But I will, at their request, bring my camera along and get some candids.  I love taking pictures at weddings but I don't have the courage to be response for someone's special day.  I had a bad photographer for my wedding and many of my captured memories are horrible (she even missed focus on our first kiss)

I see alot of people with cameras at weddings and their behavior is generally not acceptable, IMHO.  I feel there should be some Rules of the Wedding Guest Photographer.

1.  You are not the paid photographer.  Get out of their way and sit down.  Don't you dare use a flash mid ceremony because you might ruin the actual photographer's capture.  I bring only my body and a fast lens (typically 85mm f/1.8) and just deal with it.  I don't bring my 70-200 because I feel that it will get too much attention and I'm trying to lay low.

2.  Sit down and stay seated.  I've seen people walk down the isle to get pictures and block everyone else's view including the paid photog.  Please see Rule #1 and get out of everyone's way.

3.  Only bring your camera if you have permission.  I've been to weddings where the photographer or venue required no other shooters during the ceremony.

4.  Don't forget to have fun.  One of the main reasons I don't want to shoot my friend's weddings is I would rather be having fun.  

Now that I have that out of the way here are a few from a wedding last week.  CC is welcome as I know I have aways to grow.  On the first picture I know the Groom's face is OOF and I knew it would be because they were walking down the isle beside me when I took the shot.  But, I didn't care I wanted to capture that look on her face and I got it!  I wish I could have gotten them both but I'll take it.  

Attached File  mcpic-5.jpg   75.63KB   0 downloads

Attached File  mcpic-9.jpg   123.39KB   0 downloads

Attached File  mcpic-4.jpg   104.57KB   0 downloads

Attached File  mcpic-3.jpg   148.11KB   0 downloads

• OliverBPhotography likes this

#2 jbranchiv

jbranchiv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Canon 40mm STM
    Nikon AF 28-80
    Nikon AF 70-200
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART
    Sigma 24-105f/4.0 ART
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Nikon N80
    Polaroid OneStep Closeup 600
    Vivitar PS:10 Point & Shoot

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

This is a great post and I love the topic.

I actually have a friend getting married soon and I was going to take some guest photos myself. I'm actually getting in contact with my friend to see if I can get in touch with the photographer themselves because the last thing I want to do is step on anyones toes. 

Thanks for the tips anyone else have any feedback on this?

#3 bellephoto

bellephoto

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma 10-20mm 1.4, Canon 70-300mm, Canon 18-135 Kit Lens
  • Flashes:Canon 430EX II Speedlight
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 60D, Canon Rebel

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

I fully agree... I actually have a "clause" in my contract called the UNWIRED WEDDING clause... basically I ask the Bride/Groom to sign off on asking their guests NOT to allow guest photography during the major moments of the wedding... I explain why (using the example of a guest stepping into my line of view during a major point in the wedding i.e. kiss, cake, groom seeing bride for first time... most brides/grooms are up for the idea... and would rather have piece of mind knowing the shot is going to happen rather than getting a picture of Uncle Ed holding his iPad up in the middle of the aisle.... If they do NOT agree at least I have put it out there and it covers my butt for the "missed shot" if god forbid that should happen... 

As far as photographing AS a guest, be respectful and go for the fun shots the photographer might get but from a different perspective. If using a flash be SURE your flash does not interfere with the photographer's flash and settings... I've had that happen as well... 

GOOD LUCK !

• Bill Peppas likes this

#4 tjyoung

tjyoung

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Lenses:Nikkor AF-S DX VR Zoom 55-200mm f/4-5.6G w/shield
    Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G w/ shield
    Nikkor AF-S 18055mm f/3.5-5.6G
  • Flashes:built in
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D3100

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

I think you are right on the money with your advice.  Nothing more annoying as a guest to have other people block the ceremony or shoot a flash in your face.

That being said, I wouldn't mind some advice for my niece's bridal shower.  There will be no professional photographer there (lol).  I was going to bring my camera at an attempt to capture her party.  But I am also a guest / helper. 

Any thoughts on how to photograph the indoor party, high high ceilings, blah lighting, 50 guests (I know!), and remain discrete about it?

Oh, and I want to enjoy the party myself. 

Should I invest in a good flash with diffuser?

Thanks for the input!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users