• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMethuen, MA
  • Lenses:Canon 100-400 f/4-5.6 LII
    sigma 8-16
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7DII
    Sony A6300

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

So I am going to buy either the A6000 or A6300 and for some reason I'm just not understanding the flash situation. I want A flash I can put on the camera and bounce or use it straight on. I am also trying to get into some off camera flash, I have stands and umbrellas. Im looking at the HVL f20l but I need to know if I can take it off the camera and set it up with a stand and umbrella? is it powerful enough to do that? Some of the reviews say that it is not much more powerful than the on camera flash? 

My canon 430exII could be set up off camera and I could use the on camera flash to trigger the speedilte. I would like to do something similar with the sony. do i have to buy a radio trigger or can i set it up the same way as my canon?

Does anyone have experience with these flashes? Which flash would be best to use off camera? and if the hvlf20 isn't the right choice for off camera is it worth still buying for family candids etc while using on camera or would a flash card do the trick for bouncing/diffusing?

Thanks for any help.

#2 JBGreene

JBGreene

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Lenses:Canon 500mm
    Sony ZEISS 55mm 1.8, Sony ZEISS 35mm 1.4, Sony 90mm Macro,
    Sony 70-200mm
  • Flashes:YONGNUO YN-560III x3
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony a7rii
    Canon 7D Mii

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

I use the Yongnuo 560 with their wireless controller. They work great and are a fraction of the name brand cost. I would definitely wait for reviews of the 6300 before pulling the trigger.

Hope that helps, didn't have any experience with the flashes you listed.

They work on or off camera with my Sony.

#3 pitboss3

pitboss3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMethuen, MA
  • Lenses:Canon 100-400 f/4-5.6 LII
    sigma 8-16
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7DII
    Sony A6300

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:25 AM

Awesome thanks. It seems a lot of ppl use those yongnuo flashes and like them. For some reason I thought the a6000 had a wireless trigger built in but I must be wrong. As far as the a6300 goes I am waiting for reviews but it seems nobody has one yet? I think it ships March 10 so I would think reviews would be coming very soon? Don't people like the northrops get them before everyone else for that reason?

#4 JBGreene

JBGreene

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Lenses:Canon 500mm
    Sony ZEISS 55mm 1.8, Sony ZEISS 35mm 1.4, Sony 90mm Macro,
    Sony 70-200mm
  • Flashes:YONGNUO YN-560III x3
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony a7rii
    Canon 7D Mii

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

I'm not sure if they will get one prior to release but I would bet they have a video up shortly after if not. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users