• LocationLouisville Ky
  • Lenses:Tokina 12-28mm F4 AT-x12-28 PRO DX
    Sigma 18-125 F3.5-5.6
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS
  • Flashes:Used Sigma EF-500
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

I've been asked by some friends to do their engagement photo's, "in the snow."

I've never done portrait shots, much less "in the snow".  

I do not have any flashes, reflectors etc, and may not need them... "in the snow".

Anyone have any suggestions or point me to some decent do's/do nots?

#2 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Canon 17-40 mm 4.0 L
    Canon 50 mm 1.8
  • Flashes:Bolt VX-710C
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon Rebel 7D Mark II
    Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:02 AM

There are videos included with the SDP book that discuss portrait photography as well as one on exposure issues when photographing in the snow. It would be silly for me to try to recap Tony's detailed tips but I can touch on the broad principles:

With snow, the camera will tend to underexpose by trying to convert the white into 18% grey. If you are shooting in aperture or shutter priority, you will need to use exposure compensation of +1 to +2 stops.

Choose the background carefully; you don't want anything distracting, For a portrait (head shot) it is generally recommended to blur the background. You can accomplish that by using a large aperture (small f stop number). You will get more of a blurred background by moving back and zooming in.

#3 TinaW249

TinaW249

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationEast-South Central part of United States
  • Lenses:Canon 28-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon EF 135mm 1:2.8 soft focus,
    Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 (nifty fifty),
    Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III,
    Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8,
    Canon EFS 18-55mm IS Kit lens
    Canon 35-80mm (was on my very first Canon Film camera)
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlight 430EX III-RT
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon Rebel t3i

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:47 AM

HI Dave. Be sure to ask your friends to be VERY SPECIFIC in what they're wanting for these Engagement photos. Do they want the L'ville skyline in the background? If so....do you know a good place to achieve that? If not, message me. I'm from the area. You're aware that downtown has the horse drawn carriage rides....maybe they'd like a photo in the carriage, warm blanket on their laps w/ some key L'ville backdrop? Maybe even the Gentleman helping his soon to be bride down from the carriage? What about the Belle of Louisville who have day & night Cruises for compelling photos??

After speaking w/ the couple, and finding out venues they'd like to use....I'd go to these places beforehand to check out lighting, traffic trouble spots, any rules or regulations prior to using, spot any possible key objects to keep OUT of the photos OR vice versa. If they want some night photos, remember the lighting on the Kennedy Bridge....& there's the new walking bridge as well w/ some pretty cool different colored lighting.

I hope that w/ these ideas, one of the other members can give you specifics on dealing w/ these issues of lighting, etc, that is, IF the couple should happen to choose any of these ideas.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

~Tina

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationMandeville, LA
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

What Tina said.  Before you worry about cameras and settings and the like, get every detail you can think of on paper....everything.  My son shoots this sort of thing and has contracts that fit each situation.  You don't want to be at the location and have them tell you that this isn't what they had in mind, friend or not.  You have to base this on your time.  Very, very important.

David

• P Bender and TinaW249 like this

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#5 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Canon 17-40 mm 4.0 L
    Canon 50 mm 1.8
  • Flashes:Bolt VX-710C
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon Rebel 7D Mark II
    Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

Excellent advice by David and Tina; you need to know what it is that they expect from you. If you still want ideas of your own, google "snow portrait photography," choose "images" and you will see a number of examples.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users