• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Lenses:Tamron 70-300mm vc
    Sigma 105mm f2,8
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D300

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hey there ! 

This was on Mafia Island, Tanzania. I was doing a volunteering project about marine ecosystems, which involved a lot of diving. I loved it and had the chance to use my friends camera. I would just love to do more underwater photography, because it just involves two of my favorites hobbies. I can't effort a underwater housing for my Nikon D300 (I am a Student of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna) Does anyone have experience with those expensive housings? Is it worth the money ? 

Love to read some comments about my pictures!

Greeting from Austria, 

Sarah

Attached Files

#2 Bart Soons

Bart Soons

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAntwerp, Belgium
  • Lenses:Canon:
    50mm 1.8
    17-55mm 2.8 IS USM
    70-200 2.8 IS II USM
    2X Extender III.
  • Flashes:Canon 600 ex-rt
    Inon S2000 (UW photography)
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 600D
    Canon G12 With Canon UW housing

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

For the price of an UW housing for your dslr you can get a decent compact camera with UW housing and an External strobe.  And it is much more versatile than a dslr.  You can't switch lenses under water with your dslr. (you can try, but that's gonna cost you even more.  ;-)  )

the colors are going to be so much better with that external fash, but it takes time to get used to it (backscatter, angles, strobe power, ...)

And also, if your UW housing floods, you will still have your dslr.  it is cheaper to buy another compact camera then to buy the dslr with lens

hope this helps.

#3 cchandle1

cchandle1

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 70D

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:52 AM

I just use an Olympus TG-2 iHS and get decent shots underwater. (its waterproof up to 15m) and generally get OK results. It doesnt do Raw but does have f/2 and aperature priority mode (which is limited). Here is a couple shots from Maui.

PB300082
PB300036
PB300034

• Bart Soons likes this

#4 tomtaylor905

tomtaylor905

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOn Top of a Hill in Wisconsin
  • Lenses:Sony 18-105 G E-Mount
    Bunch of prime Canon FD lenses and E-mount adapters
    Canon Macro 60mm
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 600ex-rt
  • Camera Body or Bodies:SONY A6000
    Canon T2i

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Sarah,

I think your shots are great. With an adjustment layer and the levels eyedropper ( the nutral eyedropper ) you can click on a neutral color the whitish coral or the last fish's stripe.

Then work on the color balancing top down.

You can open .jpegs in Camera Raw and work on them there also  starting with the white to get more red then the temperature. Last add a slight vignette to draw the eye in.

I learned these techniques from Matt Kloskowski at Photoshopelementsuser.com. I have been a paid user of theirs for some time now and until I retired and took photoshop at a local community college I was an elements user.

FixOne, Fix "Em All is the adjustment layer technique and the adjustments can be easily applied by moving the layer to similar photos and Fix Color in Underwater Photos is a Camera Raw technique.

When I learned to dive in 1971 the dive shop owner was an avid underwater photographer. He put together dive trips where he rented pro gear and had an employee to take care of it and get the proof sheets and  images processed. I sure couldn't afford that kind of fun. the only way to go. Then I got drafted.

I once had some fun shooting underwater with a Hanimex Amphibian and a Nikon Nikonos IV-A. Both are 35 mm film and I have no idea where the print are as that was over 40 years ago.

You get to know distance to your subject real well. Getting up close slowly and having, a say 15mm X 15mm with a 5mm x 5mm center target finder to look through is the trick. This is DIY stuff and that is why the Hanimex. Today you have some great model airplane (RC) internet suppliers and silver solder and epoxy. This is a knucklehead way to have a bit of fun on the cheap. Both cameras are on Ebay.

Leave your good gear topside in a waterproof floatable bag and you will have it for trips to one of my favorite places,  Obersdorf and the Breitachklamm gorge.

• TerryLowe likes this

A truck ran over me, oh, 'twas a shame, I think it had two tons of wet sand in it.
Stars flashed, bells rang and ambulances came Life changed for me all in a tragic minute.
I waked and saw a nurse who held my head The plasters and the bandages adorning,
And then she grinned a broad grin as she said: "Did you see what Will Rogers said this morning?"
ANONYMOUS

Will Rogers pioneered slow motion photography to record his incredible trick roping fetes and fancy lariat skills. Movies "Judge Priest" ( Director John Fords favorite movie), "Ropin Fool and "Bacon, Beans & Limousines" newsreel.Look it up buy the CD then visit Claremore, Oklahoma. There is more in his bio by Yagoda and the book The Real Wild West Michael Wallis

Want to learn about Hollywood, Motion Pictures start here!

http://www.amazon.co...l rogers yagoda

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0312263813

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users