austitalbrecht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:24-105 f/4
    50mm f/2.8
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7d mark II

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

I have had someone ask to take pictures at their wedding. I have never done that before so I am wondering what equipment I should have. I am willing to rent and/ or buy stuff. I need some suggestions. Do I need an external flash? 2 cameras? Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts
  • LocationMandeville, LA
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:02 PM

The first thing I would ask is how big is the wedding?  If it's fairly involved, you might want to either beg off or find someone else to shoot with you.  If it's a small affair, you can probably be okay.  But there's a couple of things to keep in mind.  First, you need to meet with the parties involved and find out exactly what they want and write it down....and write it down.  Sorry for the drama, but my son is a pro wedding shooter and I can tell you, if you don't iron out the details, you're in for a long and miserable day.

Remember that for some, the pre wedding stuff is as important as the service itself.  Bride/groom/Mom/Dad getting ready, that sort of stuff.  The venue; you need to visit it prior to the shoot.  What do they expect from you as far as the finished product goes?  It's a lot to ask of one photographer.

Equipment:  I recommend two cameras and at least one that's equipped with TWO memory cards; insurance.  Lenses...a good 24-70 f2.8 and a good 70-200 f2.8.  An on camera flash with a diffuser for the reception.  Bounce flash may be useless due to high ceilings.  No flash in the church, hence the f2.8.  Set the camera's shutter to quiet mode if you can.

Wedding are high drama for the client and can be rewarding....or a disaster for the shooter.  I don't want to make anybody mad at me, but the bride's mother will be your best friend or your worst nightmare.  She HAS to be at the meeting(s).

I'm sure you'll get more advice.  Suffice it to say, because of the one of a kind nature here, it's really important to get it right.  Good luck!!

David

And don't forget, an 8 hour wedding will result in three or four days in front of the computer sifting through shots!!

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#3 austitalbrecht

austitalbrecht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:24-105 f/4
    50mm f/2.8
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7d mark II

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for some advice! I do not know all the answers yet I still need to get together with the couple. Another question I have is how much money should I ask for?

#4 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Canon 17-40 mm 4.0 L
    Canon 50 mm 1.8
  • Flashes:Bolt VX-710C
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon Rebel 7D Mark II
    Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

This may be a good starting point. Good luck!

http://www.njwedding...CFYcWHwod5HQDOQ

#5 ebit

ebit

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma Art 35mm F1.4
    Canon 85mm F1.8
    Canon 24-70mm L F2.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm L F2.8 IS II
    Fuji XF 16-55mm f2.8 LM WR
    Fuji XF 56mm F1.2 R
    Fuji XF 35mm f2 WR
    Fuji XF 50-140 LM OIS WR
    Fuji XF 1.4X TC
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT 2x
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 5D III
    Fuji X-T1
    Fuji X-T2
    Fuji X100T
    Sony RX-100

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

Don't do it!! hahah its a lot of work (before, during and after).  anyways, if you are set on doing it, like David suggested,

two cameras, two lenses (24-70,70-200 at 2.8.. or the crop sensor equivalent of the 24-70 if you have a crop camera).  You can pretty much shoot an entire wedding, almost any size with those two lenses.

as for pricing, it depends.. I would factor in the cost of rentals (easy to price), cost of gear maintenance (probably not that much if you end up renting lenses), cost of time (easy to cost out)/talent (purely subjective and depends on experience), and cost of travel.

I would get a shot list from the client, and make SURE the client has an MC or someone to coordinate the orderof the shot list and to gather people..  its not your job to do that, but if you do not communicate that prior to the wedding, you will be expected to do that.

as for lighting, depends on venue.  high ceilings, you may need an off camera flash with diffuser, or an on camera flash with a diffuser depending on your style and comfort with lighting

different people are going to have different opinions on gear, but for me, the two zooms work fine.  primes are not a necessity, and same with macro lenses.  You could always shoot and crop for the detailed shots anyways since its highly unlikely your client will print and enlarge those pictures.  Primes, I may get a lot of flack for this, is more of a luxury.  Yes you have wide apertures, but you will find you won't really go wider than 2.8 or else you start really losing DOF.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wedding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users