• Lenses:Canon EFS 18-55
    Sigma 70-300
    Canon 100-400
    Canon 24-105
  • Flashes:DC 952AF
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon XSI
    Canon 7D

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

I was just looking into getting the Adobe CC for $9.99 a month. Am I missing something here? In the licensing they state:

Licenses to Your Content in Order to Operate the Services. We require certain licenses from you to your content to operate and enable the Services. When you upload content to the Services, you grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sub-licensable, and transferrable license to use, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, modify (so as to better showcase your content, for example), publicly perform, and translate the content as needed in response to user driven actions (such as when you choose to store privately or share your content with others). 

They are pretty much in line with Win 10 saying that they can use our content for anything they want or am I miss reading things and this is really nothing? Not that I would ever have pictures good enough for others to want but this stuff kind of concerns me. 

Am I just not reading things right?? I know this is the way things are heading.

Thanks for shedding any light on the subject as this would be my first venture into anything cloud.

Terry

#2 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF 17-40 mm 4L USM
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:10 AM

Adobe doesn't take your work and use it however they please. What they're talking about is if you use their cloud storage service that comes with a subscription they reserve the right to modify the file as part of the storage. They are not taking your content and selling it or using it for advertising. People would have a fit.

• Bill Peppas likes this

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:39 AM

I suspect it is all in the interpretation... Your lawyers vs theirs. (-: You missed out the paragraph about you giving them rights to your first born child.... (-:

#4 Bill Peppas

Bill Peppas

Your friendly moderator :-)

• Administrators
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece
  • Lenses:14-24 f/2.8
    18-35 f/3.5
    24-70 f/2.8
    50 f/1.8
    70-200 f/2.8 VR II
    70-300 f/4.5-5.6G VR II
    105 f/2.8G IF ED Macro
    12-24 f/4
    18-55 f/3.5 VR
    55-200 VR
  • Flashes:Nikon SB-910
    Yongnuo YN-568EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:D810
    D600
    D5200

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:14 AM

Adobe doesn't take your work and use it however they please. What they're talking about is if you use their cloud storage service that comes with a subscription they reserve the right to modify the file as part of the storage. They are not taking your content and selling it or using it for advertising. People would have a fit.

Spot on.

Awards Bar:

#5 Armitage

Armitage

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Lenses:Nikon 20mm f/2.8D
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D
    Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
    Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3
    Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 DX
  • Flashes:Nikon SB-400
    Nikon SB-700 (2)
    Nikon SB-900
    Yongnuo YN-560 IV (3)
    Yongnuo YN560 TX Trigger
    Yongnuo YN-622N Triggers
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Nikon D7200

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

That's still a terrifying amount of rights being signed away.

#6 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:27 PM

That's still a terrifying amount of rights being signed away.

It's a technical requirement for storing and displaying content. You're basically giving them permission to compress your stored images if they choose or convert them to a different format if you're going to use their tools to host your images somehow.

What it all says in non-legal terms is "I give Adobe permission to take the images I upload to their stuff and make the necessary changes in order to display and store the content as I've requested."

#7 Terry W

Terry W

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida
  • Lenses:Canon EFS 18-55
    Sigma 70-300
    Canon 100-400
    Canon 24-105
  • Flashes:DC 952AF
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon XSI
    Canon 7D

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

Doug I know you are much more knowledgeable than I am when It comes to computer however that is not what it says. It says they can do what ever they want to how ever they want to.  "We require certain licenses from you to your content to operate and enable the Services. When you upload content to the Services, you grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sub-licensable, and transferrable license to use, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, modify (so as to better showcase your content, for example), publicly perform, and translate the content as needed in response to user driven actions"

Whether they choose to or not does not really matter much to me. What irks me is that they can just do what they want.

Although you are most likely correct stating that they my only change things to store however I am not too keen on giving up all for the sake of using their software. I guess I am old school (and old) and have not yet grasped giving up my left nut just to borrow something. I know the time will come when I have to upgrade but for now I will just be keeping the software I own.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Terry

#8 P Bender

P Bender

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,994 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Lenses:EF 600 f 4.0L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 2.8L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 5.6L USM
    EF 28-300 f 3.5-5.6L IS USM
    EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II
    EFS 18-135mm IS USM
    EF 16-35MM F 2.8L USM II
    EF Extender 1.4 iii
    EF Extender 2.0 iii
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX ii speedlight
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DsR
    Canon 7D Mark ii
    Canon 7D
    Van Guard 283 CT Tripod
    Induro Stealth CLT 403 Tripod
    4th generation Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal Head

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:24 PM

My two cents, no way, no how would I agree to that! Thanks for bringing that to our attention Terry.
Paul

Photos are a moment in time, that can only be captured once.

#9 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:30 AM

No, they can't... OK, so everyone knows what's going on, you can read the full terms of service here. It's not long, it should take you a few minutes.

You're talking about sub-section 3.2 which has that passage. Sub-section 3.1, the section directly above it, explicitly says Adobe hold no rights of ownership over your work in any sense and that you retain full and sole ownership of anything they might have access to. They also state this at the very end of the first paragraph introducing the document. Right away that severely restricts what they can do. It limits all their rights to only those explicitly given by you to them and they've acknowledged that fact twice.

In 3.2 they keep saying they retain rights to do a bunch of stuff in order to facilitate "services" but if you go to the top you'll see that simply means Creative Cloud features and related services. It's very common in contracts to define terms at the beginning and then simply use that term as stand-in rather than repeating the entire thing every time. So every time they say they need these rights in order to facilitate the use of various services it means the stuff you're paying for.

The fear you guys seem to have is that Adobe is going to take your images and use them without paying you or giving you credit and you'll have no recourse against them. They can't do that. This agreement does not give them that authority. It explicitly states that a user (you) action is a requirement before any of the licensing agreement kicks into effect and that further use of that content is predicated on being a direct consequence of that action. In other words, they're saying that in order to do some of the things you might ask them to do they'll need certain kinds of permission and they're taking your action as granting that permission.

But permission to do what? Let's run through an example scenario: If you tell LightRoom to upload your images to Flickr then Lightroom is going to need to convert all your RAW files into something more manageable, connect to Flickr's API and upload the images to their servers along with any requisite metadata. Or, in order, they need access to your files, permission to use them, permission to hand them off to a third party, permission to modify them to valid filetypes, permission to pass along information about them and permission for Flickr to display them on the site where people can see them (if you set them as public).

Read through the rest of the document, nowhere else does it imply in any way that they can do what they want with your work. It's also important to remember this ToS isn't new, it's been around for years. People other than us have looked it over and been satisfied. Not just photographers and web designers like us, but legal teams of multi-million dollar advertising agencies. The art departments of large education institutions. Police departments and hospital medical imaging teams (two industries that looooove Photoshop). The idea that for the last 10–15 years we've all been secretly signing away our work so Adobe can use it as soon as they please and somehow no one's noticed just doesn't make sense to me.

• Bill Peppas likes this

#10 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:36 PM

Correct. And it would ensure no one used their software.
  • Bill Peppas likes this

#11 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

Correct. And it would ensure no one used their software.

Yeah. Photoshop may be the best game in town but I bet GIMP would find a whole lot of random investment and new pull requests in pretty short order were Adobe to pull something like that. In my experience we creatives are a touchy bunch at the best of times, haha. :D

Still wish someone would give Adobe a real run for it's money on that front... I keep hoping Pixelmator will be that app, or that someone will overhaul GIMP so the UI isn't worthy of an exorcism...

#12 Marco Stu

Marco Stu

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland / Liechtenstein
  • Lenses:Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8
    Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
    Nikkor 70-300mm f3.5-5.6
    Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Marco
  • Flashes:Some Speed Lights
    Elinchrom Studio Flashes
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D5000

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

this anyway only applies to files which are uploaded to the adobe cloud.
your nromal files at home are not affected - so whats the fuzz?

#13 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:14 PM

this anyway only applies to files which are uploaded to the adobe cloud.
your nromal files at home are not affected - so whats the fuzz?

If Adobe really was trying to lay claim to my files in any way in any context I'd be pretty incensed.

• Bill Peppas likes this

#14 captain_slow

captain_slow

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm F1.8D
    Tamron 28-75mm F2.8
    Nikon 18-140mm F3.5-5.6 VR II
    Sigma 18-35mm F1.8
    Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 II
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 VC
    Canon 24mm F2.8
    Canon 40mm F2.8
    Sony 16-50mm PZ
    Sony 16mm F2.8
    Mamiya 100-200mm F5.2 C
    Mamiya 65mm F4.5 C
  • Flashes:Nikon SB910
    Canon 270 EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D5300
    Nikon D7100
    Nikon F100
    Nikon F5
    Nikon F4s
    Nikon F3HP
    Canon SL1
    Sony NEX 5T
    Sony NEX 3N
    Mamiya RB67 Pro SD
    Rolleicord III
    Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:09 PM

seriously if you read word for word every EULA you WILL find something ridiculous. 

just stop worrying about it. 

#15 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:06 AM

seriously if you read word for word every EULA you WILL find something ridiculous. 

just stop worrying about it. 

I did read the whole EULA. Their's is actually surprisingly reader-friendly. And pretty reasonable, oddly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users