• Lenses:Canon EFS 18-55
    Sigma 70-300
    Canon 100-400
    Canon 24-105
  • Flashes:DC 952AF
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon XSI
    Canon 7D

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

I am like a lot of others in that I like to purchase my software not rent it.

I own LR 5 and Corel X7 which has Corel Photo Paint x7. I really like it however as I try and gain some post processing experience and want to try other effects such as panorama's and other photo manipulation I have issues with my current software.

I have Photo Paint set up in LR so I can go edit and the problem I have is that it locks up the program all the time.

I have also read people having some issues upgrading LR 5 to LR 6 cc???

So, from the folks that have upgraded, was it worth it? Any drawback to the upgrade? I know the last time I had to upgrade major software seems my computer was too outdated (only 2 years old) to even run the new software. So had to get new computer as well.

Adobe is making it pretty easy right now as the photo bundle which includes LR CC and Photshop CC for $9.99 a month.

Anyone that has upgraded have a recommendation one way or another. I have searched here with no luck and the net is all over the place.

Thanks for any help.

Terry

#2 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF 17-40 mm 4L USM
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:21 PM

Are you a professional or a hobbyist? If you're a pro, you should really upgrade. If you're not, you're probably fine until it gets to the point of OS incompatibility.

As a pro, you want the best performance and stability you can get. In theory, the latest software tends to offer that. You also by paying that fee get access to customer support if something goes wrong, you don't have that for old software. And when running a business, the math is actually really simple. You take how much you make an hour vs. how much time you think this can save you. Take that time and find out how much that equates per your hourly rate. If it's more than the cost of the software, upgrade. If it's not, stay where you are. Only exception to this rule is when compatibility, stability or security start to play a part. Then you should just be upgrading for safety's sake.

If you're a hobbyist, though, it really doesn't matter what you use as long as it works so go with whatever makes you happy. Is CC going to drastically change your life? Not really. I went from Photoshop CS6 to CC a couple of months ago and the upgrades are nice but as a general statement they behaved about the same. I needed to upgrade because I'm a designer and I was getting PSDs that would only work with CC, something that drives me nuts. I was also getting a crash a day. Were it not for those two things I wouldn't have upgraded.

#3 Terry W

Terry W

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida
    Sigma 70-300
    Canon 100-400
    Canon 24-105
    Canon 7D

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:45 PM

Thanks Doug

Just a hobbyist. Yes I completely understand about having to upgrade for work. I do etched glass and rock and was getting all kinds of drawings in newer versions so had to upgrade. I have been using Corel for years and it's all I need for what I do at work but the photo editing (corel photo paint) locks up my computer and it takes a very long time to clear it and shut down the program. 

I do have LR 5 and really like that but would like to get into some work with layers and stuff. Corel photo paint will do what I want if it doesn't lock up things. Maybe I'll just have to try and find a remedy there.

Thanks for help

Terry

#4 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

If it's not working like that? $9/month is pretty doable for most people. Especially those of us with this hobby (I'm a hobbyist photographer too). You get a month trial, give it a go and see what you think. You can run LR5 and LR CC on the same machines at the same time so no worries there.

#5 Terry W

Terry W

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida
    Sigma 70-300
    Canon 100-400
    Canon 24-105
    Canon 7D

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

That was one concern I had. I read a few places that people had issues trying to go back to LR5 after the trial.

Terry

#6 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

That was one concern I had. I read a few places that people had issues trying to go back to LR5 after the trial.

Well, so let me qualify my statement. There's nothing stopping you running them simultaneously. It doesn't overwrite the other. However, they both use the same library so I don't know if it's going to make changes to that which LR5 might not be able to accept.

#7 Terry W

Terry W

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida
    Sigma 70-300
    Canon 100-400
    Canon 24-105
    Canon 7D

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:45 PM

Thanks. I'll give them a call and see for sure if there are any issues. If it updates everything to cc format and I want to go back to LR5 I may not be able to open images anymore in LR5. I'll have to find out for sure.

Thanks again

Terry

#8 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

The images will likely be fine. I doubt it's going to update file containers or formats. The real concern is the database files for the catalogue. Might update to a new version of whatever database they're using and make it incompatible. But yeah, call them and get their opinion.

#9 P Bender

P Bender

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,994 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Lenses:EF 600 f 4.0L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 2.8L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 5.6L USM
    EF 28-300 f 3.5-5.6L IS USM
    EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II
    EFS 18-135mm IS USM
    EF 16-35MM F 2.8L USM II
    EF Extender 1.4 iii
    EF Extender 2.0 iii
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX ii speedlight
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DsR
    Canon 7D Mark ii
    Canon 7D
    Van Guard 283 CT Tripod
    Induro Stealth CLT 403 Tripod
    4th generation Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal Head

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:32 AM

Good luck calling adobe, not very responsive to their customers!
Paul

Photos are a moment in time, that can only be captured once.

#10 Armitage

Armitage

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Lenses:Nikon 20mm f/2.8D
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D
    Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
    Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3
    Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 DX
  • Flashes:Nikon SB-400
    Nikon SB-700 (2)
    Nikon SB-900
    Yongnuo YN-560 IV (3)
    Yongnuo YN560 TX Trigger
    Yongnuo YN-622N Triggers
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Nikon D7200

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

That's polite.

#11 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

Good luck calling adobe, not very responsive to their customers!

Yeah... Though, if it makes everyone feel better it doesn't matter if you're a few hundred seat site license account or just an individual. They treat everyone like crap. 'Cause Adobe...

Seriously, if someone make something as good as Photoshop I'd happily jump ship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users