tbaac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 18-135 mm F/3.5-5.6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 60D

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hi

Sorry to start another 'should I buy this camera' thread, but...

Do most people on this forum who have a micro four-thirds camera use it as a second camera for times when they want to leave the DSLR at home?

I'm not a professional, and not planning on being one.

I plan on enjoying taking photographs, and working through Tony's SDP book.

I have a limited budget and want a newer camera.

As you'll see in my signature I have a Lumix G1 and a couple of lenses.

I'd planned on selling those and putting it towards a D3300 and perhaps a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 lens, possibly both bought used.

Then I thought maybe I'd be as well buying a G6 body instead.

Presumably the Sigma lens is going to be noticeably better than the Lumix 14-45mm, but then selling the 14-45mm and buying the Sigma will have a price difference, one that I could otherwise put towards another lens for the G6.

So, would it be silly to buy a G6 over a D3300?

Regarding the G1, I enjoyed using the EVF but found it sluggish in low light.

Thanks.

#2 tbaac

tbaac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 18-135 mm F/3.5-5.6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 60D

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:56 AM

Okay, its probably not comparing like-with-like.  I mentioned a heavier lens on the DSLR (the Sigma) and if could have a D7200 for the price of a D3300 I would so obviously its not the small size that is the main selling point.

As I said I like the EVF but that's probably not enough to outweigh advantages of the cheaper DSLRs.

Sorry

#3 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

I don't see anything wrong with going fully m43 instead of a DSLR, especially if you aren't going to be shooting wildlife (i.e. with a big telephoto). I have both a Canon 60D plus a Oly E-M10, but for most photography which one I use is kind of a toss-up,

Rich

#4 seaoftime

seaoftime

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:16 PM

You really need to look at what type of photography you like to do, the total investment you want to put into it, and whether or not you will make many large prints.

Regarding prints, a lot of people think they will make large prints (20x30 inches and up) but few rarely, if ever, do. MFT looks fine up to 16x20 buy I almost never print anyway and look at nearly everything on a monitor or tv. Neither of which is close to MFT resolution anyway.

Regarding cost, any system can get really expensive very quickly but unless you are going to invest in really good glass for an aps-c or the ridiculously named "full frame" systems you will probably get better quality for the money (in my opinion) with MFT lenses, plus using adapted lenses on MFT is great fun. I have an Olympus OMD em5 (the original not the new one) as well as a Nikon d7200 and I much prefer using the Em5. Yes the d7200 takes beautiful images but it's big and heavy, the lower end Nikon glass can't take advantage of the sensor, it's loud, and it's not all that fast to use. It is my go to whenever I need good subject tracking however or if I need to shoot a long time and changing batteries would cause problems. I avoid it completely for video.

You will likely see a big improvement in the EVF of a newer MFT camera although perhaps some people's eyes just never adjust to them. The em5 I use is getting on in years but its EVF has never bothered me, in fact I'd much prefer it to everything just looking dark through a glass pentaprism.

It's really going to come down to what makes you the happiest when you use it. Also, consider buying used or even renting something for a day or two. The expense might be worth it if it helps you discover a camera you were sure you'd love just doesn't work as well for you as you thought it would.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users