• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:mzuiko 25mm, 45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm
  • Flashes:none
  • Camera Body or Bodies:olympus omd-em10

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

A newbie question for sure. 

I just got the olympus omd-em10

As I scroll through setting in the menu system there is an option for hdr....however I am unable to highlight it and turn it on. 

Is there some setting I must turn on first which then allows me to turn on the hdr setting?

#2 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Canon 17-40 mm 4.0 L
    Canon 50 mm 1.8
  • Flashes:Bolt VX-710C
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon Rebel 7D Mark II
    Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

One suggestion would be to find the online product manual, probably in PDF format. The advantage would be that you can search "HDR" and quickly find all references too it

#3 malway

malway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:mzuiko 25mm, 45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm
  • Flashes:none
  • Camera Body or Bodies:olympus omd-em10

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

I have been looking through the manual. Just figured it out though. If the camera is set to auto and you go into the menu system you have some choices unavailable. If you go to P, A or S for example THEN the full menu becomes available. 

The manual is not clear that if you want to go into the menu system it makes a difference which setting you are on. 

#4 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Canon 17-40 mm 4.0 L
    Canon 50 mm 1.8
  • Flashes:Bolt VX-710C
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon Rebel 7D Mark II
    Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

I am glad that you figured it out. Good luck!

#5 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

Glad you figured it out too. I also have an E-M10 and like it a lot.

I do not like the way the HDR option works, however, and wrote the following note to myself. I later even set up a Myset to automate the entire thing - one click of the shutter and it takes 5 bracketed HDR shots. Hope this helps:

The "HDR" option on the camera is not very useful for 2 reasons.

1) it only allows 2 f-stop changes between shots. So, for example you can take 3 shots, one normal, one 2-stops above, one 2-stops below. Or you can take 5 shots, one normal, one 2 stop above, one 4 stops above, one 2 stops below, one 4 stops below. I have always felt that ONE f-stop is the correct increment to use with HDR.

2) The shooting mode selection is greyed, so you cannot use anti-shock or the self-timer to prevent camera shake on a tripod.

So, the best option is to use Bracketing instead of HDR. Bracketing allows you to take as many as 7 shots, with varying exposure bracketing. So, to get what I want - 5 shots (one normal, 2 above, 2 below) with 1 f-stop between them, you set up bracketing with those settings. The problem is that you have to press the shutter 5 times (in single mode) or if you try a burst mode, it will work but if you take too many shots you will have restarted another bracketing sequence.

The way to handle this is to also set up a Custom self-timer, set to the same number of shots (5) as the bracketing. You can even give it anti-shock of 0, and a starting self-timer delay (.5 seconds is the minimum time between shots).

As I said, these settings (5-shot bracketing, plus the 5-shot custom self-timer) can then be set to a Myset setting and then you can do it with one shutter click.

Rich

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users