• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington State
  • Lenses:Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8L
    Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8L
    Canon EF 50mm 1.8
    Canon EF 400mm f4 L
    Tamron 150-600mm f5.3-6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 6D, Panasonic Lumix FZ150, Leica V-Lux 2

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Here is a shot from this weeks high school game. C&C please and welcome.

Attached File  JStout_Jackson vs Getchel_20150912_359.jpg   517.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  JStout_Jackson vs Getchel_20150912_66.jpg   795.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  JStout_Jackson vs Getchel_20150912_244.jpg   859.71KB   0 downloads

• hippi likes this

#2 P Bender

P Bender

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,994 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Lenses:EF 600 f 4.0L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 2.8L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 5.6L USM
    EF 28-300 f 3.5-5.6L IS USM
    EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II
    EFS 18-135mm IS USM
    EF 16-35MM F 2.8L USM II
    EF Extender 1.4 iii
    EF Extender 2.0 iii
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX ii speedlight
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DsR
    Canon 7D Mark ii
    Canon 7D
    Van Guard 283 CT Tripod
    Induro Stealth CLT 403 Tripod
    4th generation Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal Head

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

Good shots jrst, like the first and last shots.
Paul

Photos are a moment in time, that can only be captured once.

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,530 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Pity about the black football strips, bright colours would have made for more interest..? That along with the sun being at the players backs in No1 . For me there is too much background detail in 2 and 3 which detracts a bit from the main subject matter...?   I have not tried any such subjects, though I think that isolation of the important subject may work better,  like whoever has the ball..?   There can be just too much action on the sports field at any one time and trying to capture too much of it may cause issues that reduce the impact of any one pic..... But then, what do I know, other than that which I like.   Thanks for posting.

#4 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Canon 17-40 mm 4.0 L
    Canon 50 mm 1.8
  • Flashes:Bolt VX-710C
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon Rebel 7D Mark II
    Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:33 PM

Good action shots! I really like the first one but in my opinion the highlights need to be brought down (so that the turf looks green) whereas the shadows need to be lightened so that the central figure (quarterback?) does not look underexposed
  • jrstout55 likes this

#5 missystambaugh

missystambaugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Lenses:Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-35 f3.5-5.6
  • Flashes:Xit Elite Digital Power Zoom AF
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D Mark II

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:26 AM

I think these are fantastic, jrstout55!  I also shoot high school football and I can't hide my jealousy right now at the fact that you had such amazing lighting!!!  I find myself having to stop taking shots at half time due to the light...  unfortunately, I have not been able to upgrade enough to handle high shutter speeds and an acceptable (to me) ISO level; so as you would imagine I get a lot of grainy shots in the second half of the game, and as a personal preference, am not the biggest fan of grain.

I have also received some of the same advice as you have in this thread; try to isolate the player with the ball or at least the player you are attempting to capture.  I find it extremely difficult in such a high contact sport as football (baseball was much, much easier :) ), with all of the action generally revolving around the athlete carrying, catching or otherwise attempting to "get the ball".  IMO you've done a really great job with that... however, I am nowhere near proficient in the extremely difficult art of photography; simply a football mom :) In fact, I would like to know if you have any secrets on capturing more of the "play" with less of the background?  I still struggle with that a great deal.

I think you've done a wonderful job capturing "that" moment of the game... the catch, interception, tackle or other moment in the game that actually "makes" the game of football, the game of football.

I love the shot of 72 (your left tackle maybe?)!  The determination on his face awaiting a would be defender... priceless :)

Any tips on isolation are definitely welcome and very much appreciated!  Thanks again for sharing!

#6 jrstout55

jrstout55

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
    Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8L
    Canon EF 50mm 1.8
    Canon EF 400mm f4 L
    Tamron 150-600mm f5.3-6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 6D, Panasonic Lumix FZ150, Leica V-Lux 2

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:12 AM

Good shots jrst, like the first and last shots.

The last photo is of my son. 

I think these are fantastic, jrstout55!  I also shoot high school football and I can't hide my jealousy right now at the fact that you had such amazing lighting!!!  I find myself having to stop taking shots at half time due to the light...  unfortunately, I have not been able to upgrade enough to handle high shutter speeds and an acceptable (to me) ISO level; so as you would imagine I get a lot of grainy shots in the second half of the game, and as a personal preference, am not the biggest fan of grain.

I have also received some of the same advice as you have in this thread; try to isolate the player with the ball or at least the player you are attempting to capture.  I find it extremely difficult in such a high contact sport as football (baseball was much, much easier :) ), with all of the action generally revolving around the athlete carrying, catching or otherwise attempting to "get the ball".  IMO you've done a really great job with that... however, I am nowhere near proficient in the extremely difficult art of photography; simply a football mom :) In fact, I would like to know if you have any secrets on capturing more of the "play" with less of the background?  I still struggle with that a great deal.

I think you've done a wonderful job capturing "that" moment of the game... the catch, interception, tackle or other moment in the game that actually "makes" the game of football, the game of football.

I love the shot of 72 (your left tackle maybe?)!  The determination on his face awaiting a would be defender... priceless :)

Any tips on isolation are definitely welcome and very much appreciated!  Thanks again for sharing!

Thank you for the critique. As for #72, that is my son and he is playing right offensive tackle. This was his first high school varsity game as a starter, just a 10th grader... proud papa. This game was easier to shoot as far as having light as it started at 1pm. The sun did get a little troublesome in some shots, like the first one because of the side of the field I was on, especially as the sun moved throughout the day. You as well as others mentioned the background. As a football lover, the atmosphere is as much a part of the scene for me. It distracts some but it is all a part of the game for me. I try to minimize how much is in the photo when I can though. I played football for several years so I kind of have an idea of what I am looking for when taking photos. Not all the time as lucky as I was this past weekend with some of the shots that I got. Thanks for the comments about #72... I am very proud of him.  :)

#7 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,399 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB, Canada
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

All nicely done, but I like the third shot the best.  If I were #72, I'd like to have that shot cropped down a bit more and have that printed.

David

• jrstout55 likes this

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#8 jrstout55

jrstout55

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
    Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8L
    Canon EF 50mm 1.8
    Canon EF 400mm f4 L
    Tamron 150-600mm f5.3-6

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:01 AM

All nicely done, but I like the third shot the best.  If I were #72, I'd like to have that shot cropped down a bit more and have that printed.

David

As a matter of fact David.. I printed it on a 16x20.  

• missystambaugh likes this

#9 Earl

Earl

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, Colorado
  • Lenses:canon 50 1.8, 14-40L, 28-135, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Canon 100-400L; Panasonic 100-300, 20 1.7, 12-35 2.8, 35-100, 2.8 14-140, 14 2.5 Olympus 75, 1.8. Several Canon fd lenses
  • Flashes:Canon 580ex, Panasonic fl360l
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic gh2, Panasonic GX7, Sony rx100, Panasonic FZ200, Sony rx10 II, Panasonic GH4, Canon 7dII.

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:49 AM

I have three grandsons all playing football.  I have been taking game photos "forever."  I have come to the conclusion that I need a faster focusing camera and a longer lens.  I can do pretty well when taking video, but my keepers on stills almost all have too much of the action.  Can't even see my grandsons unless they wear pink socks  :lol: .  I need to tighten way up on my subjects.  Seems it has taken way too long for me to come to this conclusion.  I plan on getting a 7d II soon, and hope to get a 70-200 lens for it.  Your pics are great and have convinced me that this is the way to make my shots better.  I do have an fz200, and it has a lot of zoom, so I will try it for awhile until more money comes in.

Thanks.

• missystambaugh likes this

#10 jrstout55

jrstout55

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
    Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8L
    Canon EF 50mm 1.8
    Canon EF 400mm f4 L
    Tamron 150-600mm f5.3-6

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

I have three grandsons all playing football.  I have been taking game photos "forever."  I have come to the conclusion that I need a faster focusing camera and a longer lens.  I can do pretty well when taking video, but my keepers on stills almost all have too much of the action.  Can't even see my grandsons unless they wear pink socks  :lol: .  I need to tighten way up on my subjects.  Seems it has taken way too long for me to come to this conclusion.  I plan on getting a 7d II soon, and hope to get a 70-200 lens for it.  Your pics are great and have convinced me that this is the way to make my shots better.  I do have an fz200, and it has a lot of zoom, so I will try it for awhile until more money comes in.

Thanks.

Earl, 

You mentioned that you have the FZ200. I have the FZ150 and have used it to shoot some football with. the shots came out pretty good too. I use the 70-200 mostly and I also use the Tamron 150-600 and it takes good shots as well. 

#11 missystambaugh

missystambaugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Lenses:Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-35 f3.5-5.6
  • Flashes:Xit Elite Digital Power Zoom AF
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D Mark II

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

Thanks.

Earl, Just wondering if you've had the chance to purchase the 7D Mark II yet??  I had the wonderful opportunity to do so this past December and was wondering your thoughts/opinions, if any?  I simply love it and after MUCH research, had come to the conclusion that, without purchasing a full frame dslr, the 7D MII had everything (and more) that I was looking for.  I've yet to be able to shoot any football, obviously, but am looking forward to this fall!  My oldest son will be in his senior season and my youngest will be in fifth grade (many seasons left with this guy at least  :)), so while I can't wait to get out shooting football again this fall, it's also bittersweet to watch my baby play his final year of high school football...  with any luck though, we'll be seeing him play in college  ;)    

So far the 7D MII is everything that I expected and more, and in fact, I am still learning about all that this camera has to offer!  Because I live in Michigan and purchased the camera in December, I haven't had a huge opportunity to get out and take the amount of shots that I'd like; however, with baseball season well under way, I'm getting in much more practice!

#12 JBGreene

JBGreene

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Lenses:Canon 500mm
    Sony ZEISS 55mm 1.8, Sony ZEISS 35mm 1.4, Sony 90mm Macro,
    Sony 70-200mm
  • Flashes:YONGNUO YN-560III x3
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony a7rii