Nikon 50 1.8 d
    Tamron 24 70 2.8 VC
    Nikon 200 500
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 565ex
    Jessops 360afdn
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100
    Nikon D700

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Has anyone tried Irfan View? I ask because it is rarely if ever mentioned anywhere in the photography community but personally, mainly because Lightroom is a little slow on my PC and because it's great for quickly browsing and culling files pre-Lightroom import or Photoshop editing I find it indespensible.

Some of the functions I find useful are..

it recognises all Nikon, Canon and Sony Raw files (as long as you have plugin pack installed).

It quickly renders your image at 1:1 with one key press.

It runs in an uncluttered full sized window and you can browse in a full sized screen.

It can be configured to move/copy files to different folders with a multiple key press.

It has batch conversion, resize, rename, copy and move functions.

I can be configured to export to Photoshop (with it's edit in external editor function) with a multiple key press.

It displays Exif data with a key press.

It's a small and completely clean install (just uncheck any boxes that sugget installing chrome or avg on the initial install).

It's completely free.

Draw backs are that the built in image editing functions are minimal and pretty much pointless.You need to spend a little time configuring it.

If you have a lightning fast PC that imports quickly and browses through files in lightroom or bridge without any rendering delays you probably wont benefit from it too much but if you don't and you want to keep your lightroom catalog imports as small as and as fast as possible or you want a picture browser that will quickly import files to Photoshop without having to associate files to Adobe software then it's worth consideration.

I'm not selling anything so if you want to try it just google it. (and don't forget the plugin pack so it recognises raw files).

If you try it, after you configure let us know how you get on. :-)

#2 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

My home pc is a hex core with 64MB ram :)

#3 WessexWyvern

WessexWyvern

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSouthern England
  • Lenses:Nikon 24 85 3.5-4.6 VR
    Nikon 70 200 VR (f4)
    Nikon 35mm 1.8 g
    Nikon 50 1.8 d
    Tamron 24 70 2.8 VC
    Nikon 200 500
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 565ex
    Jessops 360afdn
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100
    Nikon D700

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:40 AM

I've never had that luxury :( but none the less because Irfan View is so basic it's great for zipping through pictures quickly. I also like it because it asks you if you want to associate files with it, then double checks with you rather than automatically commandeering all your picture files.

#4 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:23 AM

IrfanView should mostly be considered an image VIEWER, and at that it excels, IMHO. I use it all the time for this. In fact, I've been using it just about every day since 1995, which is something I can say about no other software I can think of.

I agree that its built-in image manipulation features are pretty minimal/ However, it has excellent batch processing, with many functions for manipulating all your images the same way (e.g. crop them with the same coordinates, downsize to the same width/height/percent etc, rotate them, sharpen/brighten, etc). You can even pick the order of the processing (e.g. crop first, then downsize). It can also build multi-page PDFs. For example, take 5 images and build a 5-page PDF with them. Very handy!

Also, the F8 copy function is very useful - when you are viewing an image, press f8 and you are presented with a dialog with 12 directories and 12 buttons. You can pick any of those 12 directories and the image will be copied to that directory. Naturally, you can change each and any of those 12 directories. So, over time, you wind up with a set of commonly-used directories where you might want to copy files into.

Also, speaking of image manipulation, Irfan can run photoshop-compatible plugins. So, you can get a pretty good editor by using Irfan plus say Topaz Adjust. That combo alone can give you most of the image improvement features of a good editor. Of course, you don't have layers, but you have plenty of flexibility at a pretty low price (Irfan being free, of course).

You can even use Irfan as an intermediary to run photoshop plugins in Gimp. Just copy the image to the clipboard in Gimp, paste it into Irfan, run the plugin, copy it back to the clipboard in Irfan, and then paste ot as a new layer in Gimp.

The Thumbnail display is also very good, and can be used to build pretty nice albums. For example, one on a website I maintain:

http://www.hamptonhi...erior/index.htm

You can customize the look within Irfan by setting up your own templates (and of course modify the HTML afterwards).

So, to summarize, IrfanView RULES!!

Rich

#5 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:24 PM

It actually sounds like a very handy little app!

#6 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

Yup. It has a few competitors, of course, primarily XNView and FastStone. I use XNView myself for certain tasks, like adding IPTC data to images (keywords, captions, etc) for searching later. It does a better job than Irfan, IMHO, and it has a slicker interface. But otherwise, I stick with IrfanView (did I mention that I like it? ;) )

Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users