• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Lenses:16-55mm
    55-210mm
    16-70 Zeiss F4
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony a6000

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hello.  I have been using a Mac for 7 years now for personal use.  I have always used iPhoto to organize my pictures.  Last year I got interested in taking pictures so I bought a mirrorless camera and the rest is history as they say.  I am looking to optimize the storing of pictures as well as creating a workflow that allows ease of time but most importantly the ability to know where both original and edited pictures are.

I am pretty tech savvy but I realize now that I have made a mistake when I started storing pictures in iPhoto.  More specifically I have been importing them into iPhoto so they are being stored in some format and directory structure that does not allow an easy method to find the original pictures or the edited version for that matter.  This issue is now compounded even further since the release of Photos which has removed some of the functionality that iPhoto had.  E.g. Exporting to an external editor as well as the ability to open the folder that contains the original file.  This gets even more complicated as I started using Lightroom and Photoshop for editing.  

I have some questions...

1) What application are folks using to store their pictures on a Mac?   E.g.  iPhoto, Photos, Lightroom, etc...   I can't imagine Photos being an option since their is no ability to edit pictures externally.

2) What is the suggested workflow when editing a picture on a Mac?   I am not asking about the steps to edit a picture, I am looking for how one moves from various applications and how they save files which allow good organization and the ability to find photos especially as content grows over time.  E.g.  iPhoto -> Lightroom -> Photoshop.

3) Has anyone moved from the default import structure of iPhoto or Photos to a more traditional approach of storing photos with a hierarchy like Year, Month and Date for folder structure?   If so, how did you do it?  This would allow you to grab all photos from a specific date or trip from a finder window instead of using tags or some other software feature.

Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks!

#2 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Canon 17-40 mm 4.0 L
    Canon 50 mm 1.8
  • Flashes:Bolt VX-710C
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon Rebel 7D Mark II
    Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

Welcome to the SDP community!

I use Windows therefore I cannot help you with MAC-specific questions. I believe that many (most?) people in this community use Lightroom to import, organize and make the basic image edits.

In Lightroom I always start by making the lens corrections, checking that the white balance is correct and that the horizon is straight. On the argument that it will remain a globally recognized/readable platform that will always be accessible, Adobe has been recommending to convert .CR2 files to the DNG format, something that I have been doing because I have not (yet!) seen any downsides. You can download a free DNG converter to convert existing files and you can also choose to convert new files to DNG automatically upon importing them into Lightroom (check Lightroom's Preferences dialog box)

In my case, Lightroom alone is adequate most of the time; the latest edition of Lightroom can even handle HDR processing, something that was not available before. If I want to perform special tasks (such as swapping skies and applying luminosity masks), I right-click on the image and select "edit in Photoshop." But, even though they are available in Lightroom, there are also certain functions that I prefer using in Photoshop.

I hope that this helps a little bit, even though I realize that I have not answered all of you questions.

#3 QiB1400

QiB1400

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationBurlington, Canada
  • Lenses:Sony E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di VC USD
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
    Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
    Sigma AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 430EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony ILCE-5100
    Canon EOS 70D
    Canon EOS 350D
    Canon IXUS 115 HS

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

I am not sure why you would bother using Photos/iPhone at all in your workflow, since you mentioned you are not happy with those products. I import straight from the SD card using Lightroom onto an external drive.

The folder structure is broken up by date all under the main folder called "Digital Darkroom 2015" (i create a new catalogue each year). The filename starts with the data, followed by a description of the shoot ending with the original file name from the camera.

And I convert everything to DNG

So it would look like this:

\Digital Darkroom 2015\2015 09 06\20150906 - Famlity Vacation - IMG_3546.dng

Since Lightroom is in control of my entire workflow I hardly ever have to use explorer to find a file. Edits done in photoshop are automatically stored next to the original with an additional of -edited to the filename, when using Lightroom to open files in Photoshop

Got to this workflow over many years and got it down to how it works for me.

Next to the above file handling I also tag and rate all photos (after deleting the unwanted). It is a bit of an effort, but overtime you get quicker and quicker.

Forgot to mention that I disabled saving the edits into DNG automatically (performance), therefor do this every ones and a while manually. That way all edit (even cropping and spot corrections) are visible for any other program able to open DNG files.

#4 zguy

zguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Lenses:16-55mm
    55-210mm
    16-70 Zeiss F4
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony a6000

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

@QiB1400.  Thanks for the feedback.  I have not used DNG files yet.   Currently if I need to edit a picture, I search for the file in the Photos directory by the filename and then copy into another folder where I then import into Lightroom. Once I am done in either Lightroom or Photoshop, I end up with a .psd file and then another format to share such as TIFF or JPG.  This is starting to get messy which is why I am looking for how others manage their photos.  

I think I am going to start importing into Lightroom.  Now I just need to figure out how I get my photos out of both the iPhoto and Photos applications.  When Photos came out this year, the installer makes a copy of whats in iPhoto and uses that as a base for Photos.  Assuming I figure out an easy to get my photos out of the those applications, I am not sure if I can get the edited versions as well.  I may have to just bite the bullet and forget about the edits assuming I can get the originals out at the very least.

#5 QiB1400

QiB1400

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationBurlington, Canada
  • Lenses:Sony E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di VC USD
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
    Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
    Sigma AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 430EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony ILCE-5100
    Canon EOS 70D
    Canon EOS 350D
    Canon IXUS 115 HS

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

Assuming I figure out an easy to get my photos out of the those applications, I am not sure if I can get the edited versions as well.  I may have to just bite the bullet and forget about the edits assuming I can get the originals out at the very least.

If you can't get the edits of the RAW files out, I suggest you exports them at least as high quality JPEG. That way you will still have the edited version as well. I am not familiar with how iPhoto or Photos stores edits to RAW files. I think RAW files are stored with an XMP file which contains all the edits, while DNG stores the edits within the file.

good luck

#6 Jayne E Eldred

Jayne E Eldred

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationGeeveston, Tasmania, Australia
  • Lenses:EF28-105mm; Canon 100mm; 55-200mm; 50mm.
  • Flashes:on camera and a speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:70D

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

I transfer all my photos from card to folder on desktop with date and sometimes comment on what it is. I access photos via Bridge and take what I want to edit into photoshop. I then save after editing in same folder by adding a -1 for edited photo. So I have original and edited photo together. I also do one that has a watermark and call it -2 and have it there also. I store all my folders when finished with in Pictures, and have an external hard drive that I back up on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Workflow, Mac, iPhoto, Photos, Editing, Photoshop, Lightroom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users