Sigma 50 mm F1.4 EX
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
    Canon 16-35 F4 L
    Canon 18-135 F3.5-5.6
    Canon 50 F1.8
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 1Dx
    Canon 70D

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Since i have given up 3D modeling and now only do photography as a hobby, I also decided to look more into PS. I watched a few videos on YT and a few of Chelsea as well. This is my first "real" try at cleaning up an image in PS only. It's far from perfect, but i would like to hear what i might have done wrong or simply sucked at! :P All critique is welcome!

I have attached both the before and after.

Cheers Jakob.

Attached File  IMG_4091_low.jpg   161.54KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_4091_v2_final_edit_low.jpg   194.6KB   0 downloads

#2 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Canon 17-40 mm 4.0 L
    Canon 50 mm 1.8
  • Flashes:Bolt VX-710C
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon Rebel 7D Mark II
    Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:29 PM

It seems that you cropped the original, made it perfectly vertical, cleaned up the right side and perhaps increased vibrance and contrast. It is now a pleasing composition, with geometric shapes and leading lines but, in my view, the pipe on the left does not add anything; in fact, it breaks the symmetry. Perhaps you can remove it using the Clone Stamp tool or content-aware fill. If I zoom in, I see that the door details (the handle, for example) could use a little additional sharpening, being careful not to overdo it. Zoom in and make sure that the sharpening has not created halos or excessive digital noise.

Personally I found it helpful to first ensure that the white balance corresponds to what my eyes saw, followed by distortion and chromatic aberration corrections for the specific lens that I was using. But every photographer has his/her own workflow preferences and what works for me may not work for you.

I know that I am mixing comments about composition and Photoshop but, catching a glimpse of what appears to be an identical door on the right edge of the original photo, I can't help wondering how a composition with both doors might have looked.

I hope that this helps a little.

KG
  • Powerdook likes this

#3 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

Alternatively you could clone the pipe onto the right side to re establish symmetry.
  • Bill Peppas and Powerdook like this

#4 Powerdook

Powerdook

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX
    Sigma 24-105 F4 Art
    Sigma 105 F2.8 Macro EX
    Sigma 50 mm F1.4 EX
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
    Canon 16-35 F4 L
    Canon 18-135 F3.5-5.6
    Canon 50 F1.8
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 1Dx
    Canon 70D

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

It seems that you cropped the original, made it perfectly vertical, cleaned up the right side and perhaps increased vibrance and contrast. It is now a pleasing composition, with geometric shapes and leading lines but, in my view, the pipe on the left does not add anything; in fact, it breaks the symmetry. Perhaps you can remove it using the Clone Stamp tool or content-aware fill. If I zoom in, I see that the door details (the handle, for example) could use a little additional sharpening, being careful not to overdo it. Zoom in and make sure that the sharpening has not created halos or excessive digital noise.

Personally I found it helpful to first ensure that the white balance corresponds to what my eyes saw, followed by distortion and chromatic aberration corrections for the specific lens that I was using. But every photographer has his/her own workflow preferences and what works for me may not work for you.

I know that I am mixing comments about composition and Photoshop but, catching a glimpse of what appears to be an identical door on the right edge of the original photo, I can't help wondering how a composition with both doors might have looked.

I hope that this helps a little.

KG

Thanks for your input. I'll deffenetly look at what you said for the next try. These are just an old pic i found and wanted to see if i could imporve it. It was the first time i did everything in PS, so there's bound to be a few errors! ;)

Alternatively you could clone the pipe onto the right side to re establish symmetry.

Maybe. I'll try it out one day to see what it will look like! :)

#5 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:31 AM

I like what you did with the image - it certainly improved it, IMHO. I think it is good to get away from the thinking that image manipulation is something to be avoided if possible. I suppose it's nice to get a perfect picture right out of the camera, but it is not a goal, IMHO. It is kind of understood (and should be) that some image manipulation will be done, essentially on every image. Back in the film days, they did a lot of manipulation in the darkroom; same for us now. :)

Rich

#6 K_Georgiadis

K_Georgiadis

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Lenses:Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    Tamron 70-300mm