eltel

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:to follow
  • Flashes:to follow
  • Camera Body or Bodies:to follow

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:12 AM

I have recently spent way-too-many hours wading through camera and lens reviews and specifications. My quest? I need a camera for basic tasks - mainly for family events (daughters wedding in December) including some video. Perhaps my cycling travels on the trails/ wildlife....

Image quality is important but budget is modest. I've discounted the compacts because of the small sensors and the compact system cams because they are above my budget of £350 (and most don't have a viewfinder)  I've used the excellent site - imaging-resource.com - and seen the impact of sensor size/ ISO etc.

I narrowed things down to the Canon 1200D/ 100D and Nikon 3200/ 3300 - and I decided on the Nikon 3300.

Then yesterday, by chance, I came across a comparison of the Nikon 3300 with the Sony A58 - the Sony certainly held it's own in this review (although I take many reviews with a 'pinch of salt'). So I checked out other reviews of the A58 and compared the specs of each camera and then went back to imaging-resource to compare image quality.

So it's Sony or Nikon now!

Why hadn't the A58 figured in my top 5?? I really don't know - I missed it! But it seems to tick all the boxes.

There's a deal here (UK) that offers the Sony A58 with the 18-55 kit lens, plus Sony 50mm f/1.8 SAM Lens and Sony DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Lens - all for £429. The Nikon 3300 is £318 with just the kit lens. The Sony deal seems very strong - am I missing something??

Help and advice appreciated

Thanks

Terence

• Teleo likes this

#2 Chimpy

Chimpy

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationLiverpool England
  • Lenses:Canon 70-300 mm IS L
    Canon 100 mm IS L Macro
    Canon 24-105 mm IS L
    Canon 100- 400 mm IS L MK II
    Canon 50 mm f1.8 STM
    Canon 1.4 TC MK III
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 1DX MK II
    Canon EOS 1DX
    Canon EOS 7D MK II
    Canon GX5
    Canon SX240 HS

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

Welcome to the forum Eltel.

Chimpy.

#3 Teleo

Teleo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY
  • Lenses:Sony ZA 55mm f1.8, Sony FE 28-70, Minolta MD-X 50mm f1.7, Minolta MD 28mm f2.8, Minolta MC 135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Sony RX100 III, Sony A7 II

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:05 PM

A little late on the response, hopefully you still find it helpful:

Sounds like a killer deal!

Sony has recently been 'ignoring' its DSLR's and focusing more on their mirrorless cameras, so that could be the reason for the price drop. As long as you don't mind the size, that camera looks great for your needs and budget. You could probably also find a used A6000 for around $550 if you wanted faster autofocus speed, more FPS, and a more compact size, but the bundle you found seems great. Good luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A58

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users