• 10 posts
  • LocationUK & Germany
  • Lenses:EF 50mm f1.4
    EF 28-135mm IS
    EF 70-300mm IS
  • Flashes:Speedlite 430EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:58 PM

After using the Adobe RAW -> DNG converter and drag/dropping it into PhotoShop CS3, I discovered a new (to me) feature called Camera Raw that seems to offer everything I might ever want from LightRoom, but inside PhotoShop. It's fantastic. It gives me all those things I see Tony and Chelsea doing in their videos, but without LR. It seems now that really the only benefit of LR as a standalone program, is the image management and ability to apply changes en-masse to a group of images at once. Maybe I'll need that one day, but it isn't yet.

So, who's using Camera Raw rather than Lightroom. Anyone ? What's your typical workflow in terms of starting out with a camera raw file. Do you use the standalone RAW -> DNG converter program and then "play lightroom" in Camera Raw and save back to DNG and keep it in DNG until you finally want to publish/deliver it as JPEG

Also, while I'm here, I've observed something quite weird about the only RAW image I've ever shot. I see some mysterious blue dots in the DNG image in Camera Raw but they're not there in the JPEG created by the camera. More mysterious than them existing, is that as I zoom in and in and in, they move around and eventually at very high zoom they disappear.

Also strange, as you can see in this screenshot, is that the JPEG in the background is RGB/8 (8 bits per color) but this DNG also appears to be 8 bit. Where are my 12 or 14 bits I was expecting?

7SrR08n.jpg

If your suggestion is to upgrade to PhotoShop CC and/or Lightroom 6/CC, if I really have to, I will, but I'm not a pro. I don't have the high volume of images you guys have and some months I don't shoot any (for example the last 3 months I never shot a single image, knee fracture). I got this PS-CS3 free and it still seems to do all the things I need it to. I think. Maybe someone will tell me I'm missing out on some fantastic things upgrading from 3 to the latest, but nobody did yet.

That 128GB SD card isn't starting to look so crazy big now ...

eLhOJa7.png

#2 AlienOrSutin

AlienOrSutin

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK & Germany
  • Lenses:EF 50mm f1.4
    EF 28-135mm IS
    EF 70-300mm IS
  • Flashes:Speedlite 430EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

Never mind. I got the answer by asking on dpreview.

#3 PeterPP

PeterPP

AKA Bad_Gray_wolf

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon 17-40 f/4L,
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon 10-18 IS STM
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Sigma 120-300 f/2.8,
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:.
    Sigma 500 dg super * 2
    Yongnuo yn-14ex ring fl
    Vivitar 3700
    White-Lightning x1600 * 2
    White-Lightning x800
    Alien-Bee abr800 ring flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS xti
    Canon EOS 20d
    Sony NEX 5R
    GoPro Hero2
    Canon SX280HS

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

My working files are in dng format, but I am 100% lightroom as it also servers as my DAM.

I find I rarely ever have to use the full photoshop anymore, but when you do need it it can be a life saver.

That said if PS CS3 is doing all you want already I can not see any reason to update.

Myself I prefer to use more but smaller 64Gb class 7 CF/SD cards (160/Mbs transfer) buffers clear faster and it spreads your work out across many cards in case of failure.

Which does happen, not often but really annoying when it does.

The new 50mp bodies must really chew up the cf cards!

Another option that T&C don't talk about is a Lighroom alternative called Capture One

unfortunately at 15$us/month I think it is more expensive than a  Adobe LR CC subscription.

Peter

#4 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

Capture one you can buy stand alone OR subscription. I bought v8

#5 ppage

ppage

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 18-55 F/4-5.6 Kit
    Canon EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 Kit
    Canon EF 85mm F/1.8
    Canon EF-S 10-22 Ultra Wide Angle F/3.5-4.5
    Canon EF L Series 24-105 f4
    Tamron VI 150-600 F5-6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN560 III for canon
    Yongnuo 603C Wireless triggers
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Rebel T5i

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

Interesting.  I am taking a PS classes and coincidently the very last lesson Wednesday night was an walk through of camera raw.  I was thinking during this tour that this sure does look a heck of a lot like Lightroom which is really all I've used up to now. I wondered why I am still using Lightroom? I do like my import workflow, the database  structure, image management and that anything you do in Lightroom is guaranteed non destructive.  If anything it gives me more incentive to learn PS better since it seems to do anything lightroom can do but not necessarily vice versa. I am on CC and the newer version has panorama's, hdr and content aware fill baked in and I like that.

#6 PeterPP

PeterPP

AKA Bad_Gray_wolf

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon 17-40 f/4L,
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon 10-18 IS STM
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Sigma 120-300 f/2.8,
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:.
    Sigma 500 dg super * 2
    Yongnuo yn-14ex ring fl
    Vivitar 3700
    White-Lightning x1600 * 2
    White-Lightning x800
    Alien-Bee abr800 ring flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS xti
    Canon EOS 20d
    Sony NEX 5R
    GoPro Hero2
    Canon SX280HS

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

They look the same because both Adobe Photoshop and Adobe LightRoom use the same Adobe Camera RAW processing engine.  :)

Photoshop is an image editor that used the Adobe camera raw engine to open files.  LightRoom also uses the same raw engine to convert files but it is not an image editor its functions are completely different though some features are similar.

If all you want is raw conversion Capture One's RAW engine does work better than Adobes at the moment.

• JestePhotography likes this

Peter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canon, raw, dng, converter, photoshop, cs3, workflow

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users