Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM
    Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 II USM
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-568EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D
    Canon 5Ds R

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

Hello All Stunning Photographers,

I am new here and this is my first post ever. I am new to the this community, and I think this forum is wonderful and I found a lot of very useful tips around the forum. 

I am wondering whether to get the E-M1 or E-M5 Mark II for my girlfriend. It is mainly used for traveling and all purpose photography ( nothing very professional.) She is getting into photography. 

Why we are getting a micro four-third:

- Easy for her to carry around

- Interchangeable Lens

- I heard the E-M5 has a awesome 40MP multi exposure mode. ( Watched E-M5 II Technical Review by Tony)

I don't know much about micro four-thirds camera, and I would love if you guys can give me some advice and suggestions on which camera to purchase. Thank You All!! Cheers, Have a Great Day! 

#2 Michael Tam

Michael Tam

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Lenses:Too many.
  • Flashes:Not enough.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:m4/3 stuff.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

I had an E-M1, but sold it since it was too bulky for the usual photography I use. Better used with the larger pro lenses, which I don't use as often. Can also do sports and wildlife okay with back button focus and continuous auto-focus set with the phase detect system it has that other micro four thirds cameras lack. However I so rarely do that kind of photography, I decided I didn't need the E-M1.

The E-M5 Mark 2 I think is a better overall camera, especially if you're into video. Noticeably smaller and lighter than the E-M1. The 40Mp exposure mode is not really useful though, since there are too many conditions for it to work right. The stabilization on this camera is really good--easily the best in the micro four thirds world at the moment. It also has a very silent shutter, which is nice to not bother people. The controls are kind of tight though. It is a pretty small camera.

If you just want something simple though, I would go to the E-M10. Smaller and lighter sill compared to the E-M5 Mark 2. However the viewfinder is kind of low resolution and not terribly clear. Also the max shutter is 1/4000 which is a bit slow if you want to use some of the bight primes in the system. It is otherwise a pretty capable little camera, just not quite as nice to use. But it is about half the price.

• xhiifire likes this

#3 xhiifire

xhiifire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 5Ds R

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

I had an E-M1, but sold it since it was too bulky for the usual photography I use. Better used with the larger pro lenses, which I don't use as often. Can also do sports and wildlife okay with back button focus and continuous auto-focus set with the phase detect system it has that other micro four thirds cameras lack. However I so rarely do that kind of photography, I decided I didn't need the E-M1.

The E-M5 Mark 2 I think is a better overall camera, especially if you're into video. Noticeably smaller and lighter than the E-M1. The 40Mp exposure mode is not really useful though, since there are too many conditions for it to work right. The stabilization on this camera is really good--easily the best in the micro four thirds world at the moment. It also has a very silent shutter, which is nice to not bother people. The controls are kind of tight though. It is a pretty small camera.

If you just want something simple though, I would go to the E-M10. Smaller and lighter sill compared to the E-M5 Mark 2. However the viewfinder is kind of low resolution and not terribly clear. Also the max shutter is 1/4000 which is a bit slow if you want to use some of the bight primes in the system. It is otherwise a pretty capable little camera, just not quite as nice to use. But it is about half the price.

Thank You very much for your advice. She wants something that is similar to an DSLR....( She likes my 7d, however she thinks it is too bulky and heavy for her to carry around.) so which one should I get? The E-M10 is an awesome choice, but she wants something more "advance".  :) Thank You very much! Cheers 

#4 Scott Pua

Scott Pua

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Lenses:Olympus m.Zuiko 25mm f1.8
    Olympus m.Zuiko 40-150mm f4-5.6
    Olympus m.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ f3.5-5.6
    Minolta MD 50mm f2
  • Flashes:Nissin i40 (MFT version)
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10
    Canon Powershot G11

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:13 AM

I use an E-M10 and it's pretty great. I like it because it's light and small. What do you mean by "advance"?

• xhiifire likes this

#5 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:47 AM

I would also recommend the E-M10. It is on-sale right now for $500. As far as "more advanced," well, yes, the E-M5II is somewhat more advanced, I suppose, but does someone who is just getting into photography need such an advanced camera? Also, the E-M10 is not some stripped-down loss-leader model. It is easily the equal of most mid-range DSLRs, has TWO control dials, more customization than you could ever use, etc. Much more bang-for-the-buck than the E-M5II.

I agree with Michael that the 40MP option on the E-M5II doesn't sound like anything useful, from what I have read.

As others have said, the E-M1 is pretty large compared to the other 2 models, so you should probably eliminate that from your consideration. So that leaves the E-M5II if you still insist that you want an "advanced" model.

• xhiifire likes this

Rich

#6 xhiifire

xhiifire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 5Ds R

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

I see, Thank You Guys!!!! I'll probably go out and get a E-M10 for her.  :)

• RAH1861 likes this

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: E-M1, E-M5 Mark II, Micro four-thirds, Olympus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users