Herr Dice

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationGermany - Bavaria

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know who in this form is using Mirco four-thrids gear. I got my Olympus E-PL5 2 month ago and am very pleased with it. But I have to admit that I never had a good camera before. Therefore I bought Tony's book to learn a bit about photography.

Cheers

• Debbie McCurley Phifer likes this
Body
Olympus Pen E-PL5

Lenses
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42 mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45 mm 1:1.8
Sigma 19 mm 1:2.8

Flash
Kit Flash

#2 Billy

Billy

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Lenses:Sigma 19mm/2.8, Sigma 30mm/2.8, Panasonic 45-175mm, Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN560-III
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic G3, Olympus E-M10

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, but purchased a G3 due to the EVF, built in flash, and articulating screen. The size of the system really works well for me and so far the size of the sensor has not constrained me. I'm hoping to purchase a proper flash and zoom lens soon.
  • Herr Dice likes this

#3 Yannick Ciancanelli

Yannick Ciancanelli

SDP Team Member

• Moderators
  • 31 posts
  • Lenses:- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
    - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Plastic Fantastic Nifty Fifty
    - Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ Lens
    - Panasonic Lumix 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6
  • Flashes:- Yongnuo YN568EX
    - Olympus FL-LM2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:- Canon 5D Mark III
    - Olympus OMD EM-5

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

i sold my OMD EM-5 one week ago!  :unsure: 
i kinda miss it. but i will also sell my 5dm3 and wait for that full frame NEX! :>

micro four thirds has awesome lenses, but sony's got extremely awesome sensors.

cannot....wait...at all.

• Tony Northrup and Yannick Ciancanelli like this

Awards Bar:

#4 Herr Dice

Herr Dice

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationGermany - Bavaria

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

Doesn't use the OM-D and E-PL5 use the same sensor as the Nex 7?

Body
Olympus Pen E-PL5

Lenses
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42 mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45 mm 1:1.8
Sigma 19 mm 1:2.8

Flash
Kit Flash

#5 Billy

Billy

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Lenses:Sigma 19mm/2.8, Sigma 30mm/2.8, Panasonic 45-175mm, Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

NEX 7 has an APS-C sensor, almost 50% larger than M43.  While the NEX range is extremely nice and impossible to fault the image quality, I tend to shy away from Sony based on their penchant for closed, proprietary systems (same reason I like M43).  However, the new "lens camera" they're rumored to be releasing which will link with many smartphones looks extremely interesting, short of the price!

http://www.theverge....100-price-rumor

• Tony Northrup likes this

#6 Suz

Suz

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.2, Vario 12-42mm 3.5/5.6
    Nikor DX 55-200mm 4.5/5.6,18-55 3.5/5.6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D60
    Lumix G5

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

I recently purchased a G5, mostly for the compact size and I am reallly happy so far. I wish it had better performance at high ISO and also more control over the Aperature priority mode. I couldn't decide on a full size DSLR and since Canon and Nikon just came out with new cameras, chose to wait. But we needed something for a trip to Disney and DH expects a camera to "just work" on auto LOL. So until I figure out what camera I will own for myself, this was still a good replacement for a really old Nikon D60.....and kit lenses. I am loving the 50mm 1.8 prime on it and anticipate taking this out and about quite a bit still.

#7 Jasón Nargiz

Jasón Nargiz

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
  • Lenses:M. Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150mm f/2.8, 17mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8 macro, and 45mm f/1.8; Bower 7.5mm f/3.5; Holga 25mm f/8; Miranda 50mm f/1.8.
  • Flashes:Flashes? We don't need no stinkin' flashes!
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M5 II, OM-D E-M5, Miranda EE RiC.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

I decided to switch over to a mirrorless camera at the end of last year. I went from a Nikon D40 to a Nikon D90. I saw the D600 full-frame dSLR and bought it right away. I soon regretted the decision and thought I spent way too much money on my hobby. I decided to trade it in for a Fujifilm X-E1. My plan was to keep my D90 and 300mm f/4 Nikkor lens for bird photography and use the X-E1 for everything else. As much as I love the X-Series cameras with their APS-C sensors and old-school aperture ring and shutter speed dial, I was not happy with the auto-focus speed. I made the mistake of reading camera reviews online and next thing I know I sold my 300mm f/4 lens and was the owner of an Olympus OM-D E-M5.

I like the E-M5 very much and am satisfied with it, but I am kind of torn about the X-E1. You can't beat the simplicity of having an aperture ring, distance scale, and a shutter dial as far as ergonomics go. Not too long ago Fujifilm released a firmware update that sped up the autofocus speed and a couple of other nitpicks I had about the camera. I may have stuck with the Nikon-Fujifilm combo had the fix come earlier.

So now I'm stuck with a Nikon D90 body, an X-E1, and an E-M5!

#8 Billy

Billy

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

AF speed certainly seems to be the Achilles heel of mirrorless cameras (I prefer to call them cameras and DSLR's mirrored cameras...) given the lack of a dedicated PDAF sensor.  While going to an APS-C or FF camera seems like a reasonable upgrade path to me should I get more serious about the hobby or one day realize some income from it, I feel like there is enough promise in the integrated PDAF/CDAF sensors that are just hitting the market to make me pause.  If this technology comes to fruition and AF on mirrorless is close to or equal that of a mirrored camera then I'll likely upgrade to a new M43 body and utilize what I hope is a burgeoning family of lenses as opposed to investing in a whole new system.

#9 Jasón Nargiz

Jasón Nargiz

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Lenses:M. Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150mm f/2.8, 17mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8 macro, and 45mm f/1.8; Bower 7.5mm f/3.5; Holga 25mm f/8; Miranda 50mm f/1.8.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Billy, I find my Olympus OM-D E-M5 is pretty close to focusing as fast as my Nikon D90 in S-AF mode. Supposedly contrast AF is generally more accurate too. When it comes to continuous focusing, I believe that's where the E-M5 needs work. Hopefully the new hybrid PD/CD AF sensors will remedy this. I hear the rumored new Olympus is going to have a hybrid AF. So maybe by the next time you need a camera, you will have a nice set of micro 4/3 lenses to go with a new great camera! I just wonder if you need special lenses for the PD-AF part to work because supposedly the old 4/3 lenses don't focus very fast on micro 4/3 cameras. Never tried it though, nor do I understand why that would be so.

• Herr Dice likes this

#10 Billy

Billy

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

Fair questions - I'd be curious to the answers, as well, especially on the lenses.  To be honest, I don't really have anything to compare it to as the G3 is my only non-P&S camera so I suppose for the moment ignorance is bliss ;)  I'm not unhappy with the AF performance for single shots, or when I get a good fix for tracking AF, but trying to "snag" a moving target and get some good shots is challenging.

I'm going to have to dig into why some of the Canon lenses supposedly don't work as well with the new 70D to understand the physics-related issues.  Seems to me that the image either hits the PDAF pixels via the mirror or directly, so it's not immediately clear to me what difference it would make.

#11 dragonmastr

dragonmastr

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Lenses:Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8
    Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm/F2.8
  • Flashes:Panasonic DMW-FL360L
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic LUMIX GH4

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

I have the GH3 which is my first pro/semi-pro camera so I can't really compare it to any DSLR camera.  However, I'm very satisfied with it in terms of performance, use, and ergonomics.  I don't intend to become a professional photographer so I don't really need the added performance of a Full Frame or APS-C sensor.

• Billy likes this

#12 Shane Jay Hayes

Shane Jay Hayes

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL
  • Lenses:25mm, 14-42mm (M4/3), 40-150mm (M4/3), 50mm, 80-200mm, 18-55mm, 75-300mm.
  • Flashes:Bower,
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Pentax K-1000, Olympus E-PL1, Canon EOS Rebel T3

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

I have an Olympus E-PL1 that I probably use more than my Canon at this point.  It is a great camera with great lenses and  creates great images.  The E-PL1 can be a bit slow but that only helps force me to plan my shots a little more.  I like to take a lot of "Urban Decay" photos and having a smaller highly mobile camera helps out when I am climbing around in places I should not be.

• Tony Northrup and Billy like this

Shane Jay Hayes

http://www.123shoot.me

http://500px.com/ShaneJayHayes

#13 Robert Vennard

Robert Vennard

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:Lumix 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Lumix 45-200mm f4-5.6
    Lumix 20mm f1.7
    Olympus 45mm f1.8
    Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro
    Sigma 30mm f2.8 art
  • Flashes:Panasonic DMW-FL360
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

I've been using a GH2 for just over a year now and I really love it.

• Billy likes this

#14 tbaac

tbaac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 18-135 mm F/3.5-5.6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 60D

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

My only camera at the moment is a G1.  I've got the 20mm and 14-45mm lenses for it.  Its a bit old now and I'm thinking of getting a gf3 to use with the lenses.

I'm also hoping to get a DSLR soon (a used 7D maybe) which is why I'm thinking of getting the small gf3 as a pocketable lightweight second camera.

I still love the way that what you see in the viewfinder on the G1 is the same as what you see on the back panel.  You can review your pictures in the viewfinder after taking them; I think that's great.  But, I'd like to be able to swap between an optical and digital viewfinder by pressing a button if that were available.

And, I still like the weight of a DSLR.

Edit:  Just noticed the x pro 1 has a switch-able electronic to optical viewfinder.  That's kind of what I meant.

• Billy likes this

#15 Holly

Holly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:Panasonic 14-42
    Panasonic 45- 150
  • Flashes:None yet
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic DSM-G6

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hi I just purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 after years of having crappy point and shoots.  Before that I had a Minolta Maxxum 4 or 5, its in the basement somewhere with a collection of awesome lenses, flashes and other gizmos that went by the wayside with film. i am completely starting over.

My photographic subjects used to be my boys. Now that they are teenagers and young adults, it seems that my subjects have become my dogs.  I need inspiration now that I have this great new toy!

Holly

• Billy likes this

#16 Chris Lang

Chris Lang

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have an Olympus OMD-EM1 and so far have been very satisfied with it. 

• Billy and Jasón Nargiz like this

#17 Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAcworth, Ga
  • Lenses:14-42mm II F3.5-5.6
    20mm F1.7
  • Flashes:None yet
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Lumix G6

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

I am new to photography and just bought a Lumix G6. It came with a 14-42mm II F/3.5-5.6 lens. I also bought the 20mm F/1.7 prime lens. Tony's book has put me on the fast track. I just need to make a better effort at rule #1 - shoot a lot and delete many.

My goal for today was to take a bunch of pics. My grand total for the day.......4. I'll do better tomorrow. I got too caught up in trying to get everything perfect. I am still learning the camera's settings and I was thinking about composition, DOF, focus....but I spent too much time looking for very interesting subjects. 

• Billy likes this

-Rodney

#18 Earl

Earl

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, Colorado
  • Lenses:canon 50 1.8, 14-40L, 28-135, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Canon 100-400L; Panasonic 100-300, 20 1.7, 12-35 2.8, 35-100, 2.8 14-140, 14 2.5 Olympus 75, 1.8. Several Canon fd lenses
  • Flashes:Canon 580ex, Panasonic fl360l
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic gh2, Panasonic GX7, Sony rx100, Panasonic FZ200, Sony rx10 II, Panasonic GH4, Canon 7dII.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

I have been into digital cameras since the very beginning in the 90's.  In the early 90's I was into film, and took some photography courses at the college where I worked.  I loved developing the film.  When digital came out, I found a new love in digital manipulation.  I bought several cameras as they came out, most of which produced poor results when compared to film, but I had a blind eye to that.  I got my Canon D60 in 2002, and never took a picture with film after that.  I have literally spent thousands of dollars in the process.  I have never filmed an assignment, such as a wedding.  The most I did was high school photographs for my girls and several of their friends.  I just copied what some of the photos looked like in other yearbooks, and tried to emulate them.  They turned out okay.  I have had a couple of newer Canon cameras since, but have alway liked the smaller compact cameras too for their convenience.  I have had several of the Canon G series.  I never sell one, but  pass them down to my kids.  I have a Canon 5d which is long in the tooth, but full framed, and pretty simple to operate.  I have a Sony RX100 I often carry on a belt holster, and a Panasonic FZ200, with the 2.8 zoom lens.  It does a great job for shooting my grandkids playing sports.

My main camera now is a Panasonic GX7, it can do almost everything I would like to do, including video.  I enjoy the hybrid concept of storytelling with pics and video.  I have three zooms and two primes.  I still have a want for at least two more.  

I have not used the media to any extent for posting pictures, and I only recently started putting any pictures on my walls.  I have liked a couple of canvas wrapped pics that I had done, and think I will stick to that form for awhile.  

I have numerous books on photography, and I read a lot of the forums, also look at you tube a lot.  I've been doing this for quite a few years now, but still learn something more each day.  I hope to pick you all for your experiences and advice.

Earl

G

• Billy and sf9999 like this

#19 Jasón Nargiz

Jasón Nargiz

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hi I just purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 after years of having crappy point and shoots.  Before that I had a Minolta Maxxum 4 or 5, its in the basement somewhere with a collection of awesome lenses, flashes and other gizmos that went by the wayside with film. i am completely starting over.

Hey, Holly. It is possible to use your Minolta lenses with your Panny. You might be able to use an adapter such as this: http://amzn.com/B003EAVULQ . If it's the same mount.

The catch is you won't be able to focus or adjust your aperture with the camera. Maybe your lenses have aperture rings which you can set your aperture and shoot in aperture priority mode. Anyway, I thought you should know this is a possibility.

#20 tomhenderix

tomhenderix

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationDiest, Belgium
  • Lenses:Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8
    Olympus M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8
    Olympus M.Zuiko 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II
  • Flashes:Canon EX 430 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M1

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

I have an Olympus OM-D E-M1 since a few months. So far I'm very satisfied. Controls are near to perfect for me, after some configuring to suit my style. My previous body was a Canon 500D with a set of L lenses and I can say that image quality wise this one trumps the 500D. For my use that's more than good enough.

I was on the fence a really long time about the Fuji X-T1, but in the end the smaller size of micro 4/3 was the decider. If you only use primes, the Fuji would be a great choice. I like wildlife shots so to have a 600mm equivalent lens that weighs almost nothing is a real benefit. Now I always carry my camera when I leave for work. Something that was impossible when I had my Canon gear, despite the 500D being a small DSLR.

I would consider a full frame mirrorless to use with only primes if my photography improves, just for fun. As an amateur it's hard to justify full frame for general use :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users