9 replies to this topic

#1 Sheryl Checkman

Sheryl Checkman

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York City
  • Lenses:Olympus 14-42mm
  • Flashes:The one that came with my camera but I am going to purchase the Sea & Sea Ys-01 strobe fro underwater before the end of the summer
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OM-D E-M5 Mark II
    Canon G11

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

I just bought an Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark II camera and I have an old Konica film SLR camera. I'd like to see if I can use the Konica Hexanon AR 50mm F1.7 lens with an adapter on the new micro 4/3 camera. Not sure what to get though. Is one adapter better than another?

#2 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

I found one on B&H, made by FotodioX:

http://www.bhphotovi...duct/994977-REG

I think that is usually considered a fairly reliable brand (as cheapo brands go). There are some hyper-expensive (like $500+) adapters made by Metabones (and maybe some others) that even allow some electronic communication between the lens and the camera. If your lens has no mechanism for MANUALLY adjusting the aperture, then this would be good to get; otherwise you can only shoot wide-open. But if your lens has a manual f-stop ring or such, you can use Aperture priority on the camera and get auto-exposure.

Rich

#3 Sheryl Checkman

Sheryl Checkman

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York City
  • Flashes:The one that came with my camera but I am going to purchase the Sea &amp; Sea Ys-01 strobe fro underwater before the end of the summer
    Canon G11

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Rich.

I also found that one on B&H. I went directly to the FotodioX site and found the same adapter for $39.95 https://www.fotodiox...Hexanon) to MFT

I also found one on Amazon with mixed reviews but really cheap, ($15.05) by Fotasy: http://www.amazon.co...ympus micro 4.3

Big difference in price, but I am guessing that the FotodioX one is probably better. Thoughts?

#4 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, that Amazon super-cheapo looks pretty super-cheapo! I think I'd go with the Fotodiox. Surprising that the manufacturer sells it for less than B&H! Even with the manufacturer's shipping charge. That's what I'd go for. (I checked Adorama; nothing cheaper).

Rich

#5 Sheryl Checkman

Sheryl Checkman

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York City
  • Flashes:The one that came with my camera but I am going to purchase the Sea &amp; Sea Ys-01 strobe fro underwater before the end of the summer
    Canon G11

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

Thanks. I'll do that. I thought it odd that the manufacturer had it for less too.

#6 seaoftime

seaoftime

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:42 AM

I've got the Fotasy Konica to mft adapter (Fotasy KR-M4/3) and it's one of the better adapters I've used. I also have the Fotodiox PK/A-m43 adapter for my Pentax lenses and feel there isn't any difference in quality between the two. I even have the more expensive Pentax version with the aperature dial. They are both fine but the lens release works much smoother on the Fotasy then the Fotodiox but I don't know if it's the brand or the difference in mounts. However, even unmounted the release pin on the Fotodiox is very stiff compared to the one on the Fotasy. I also have a Fotasy OM to m43 adapter (the older Olympus OM mount) which is even better because the lens release is on the lens so no pins to get stuck on the adapter. I had the Neewer Pentax to m43 adapter before the Fotodiox and it was awful, the lens release barely worked and eventually I had to break the adapter apart to get it off the lens. Thankfully I didn't damage the lens. Oh, and I use the same lens you want to use, the Konica Hexanon AR 50mm F1.7 lens and it works brilliantly on my em-5 so I'd assume it would be good on your mark II as well. It's extremely sharp and no fringing. It works great with the Konica macro bellows too if you happen to have one. I'm now on the hunt for more Hexanon lenses. I tried a Konica Hexar and it isn't nearly as good. Not having been familiar with Konica lenses before I hadn't realized the Hexar line was for lower end lenses but it really shows.

#7 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:40 AM

That's interesting info. Considering this report and the wildly varying reviews on Amazon about the Fotasy, it sounds like there must be a lot of variability between individual adapters, even within the same model. I guess this is the hallmark of less expensive brands like all 3 mentioned (Neewer is another).

So, Sheryl, you could take a chance based on the firsthand experience from seaoftime (which is not to be sneezed at!), and try the Fotasy. Even if you get a bad one, you haven't spend much money. I think I would take a chance.

Rich

#8 Aushiker

Aushiker

I come bearing news!

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationFremantle, Western Australia
  • Lenses:Minolta MD Rokkor 45mm f/2.0
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/1.8
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6
    Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300 mm f/4.0-5.6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D EM-1
    Panasonic Lumix LX100
    Panasonic DMC-FT-4

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:13 AM

You should be able to get a suitable adapter from eBay for a few dollars as  you do not get electronics with adapted lens as a general rule, i.e., MF only. I personally use two adaptors, one for Pentax K-mounts and one for Canon FD mounts. Both cost less than $5.00 each.  That said assuming your lens is a M-Mount this adapter would do the trick. 

If you want to get informed on this I suggest you read this thread at the MU43.com forums.

Andrew

C&C always welcome
Equipment: Olympus OM-D EM-1 | Panasonic Lumix LX100 | Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 I | Olympus 17mm f/1.8 | Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 | Minolta MD Rokkor 45mm f/2.0 |

#9 Sheryl Checkman

Sheryl Checkman

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York City
    Canon G11

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone. I had already ordered the Fotodiox adapter so I will report back on how well it works.

#10 seaoftime

seaoftime

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

I look forward to hearing how it goes. One of my favorite things about m43 is how easy it is to adapt lenses.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens adapter, KOnica Hexanon, OM-D EM Mark II

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users