• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:Tamron 24-70 and 70-200
    Nikon 60mm micro and 18-140
    Tokina 12-24
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 568
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

Will a Wacom tablet make my processing easier? I use Lightroom, Photoshop, Nik and DxO.

If yes, which one to get for someone on a budget?

#2 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

I am still using a small 4x6" one I got over 10 years ago. Ya don't need a Cintiq to edit photos..
  • nstrik33 likes this

#3 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:54 AM

I bought a Wacom Graphire 2 awhile ago - kind of a middle-of-the-road model. A lot of people say you don't really need a large one, because once you are using it, it coordinates with the pointer on the screen so the actual size of the tablet isn't all that important.

But I do think that such tablets are mainly used by people who do digital art - like with drawing or painting programs. It gives them pressure sensitivity, mimics strokes with a physical drawing tool like a brush, etc. So for a photographer tweaking his images, unless you do a lot of fine editing on your images (like moving things around, cloning areas, etc), I don't think a tablet would be worth the learning curve.

I got my Wacom to try to do drawing, but never really did much with it. One problem - if you use a laptop as your primary computer (as I do), there's no convenient place to put the tablet. The laptop's keyboard sits where you would like the tablet to be, so it is hard to make the arrangement work. I tried various schemes with 2 monitors, and that wasn't too bad, but it is much easier to arrange things if you have a desktop computer with a separate keyboard.

Rich

#4 Mikeyj1

Mikeyj1

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire UK
  • Lenses:Prime: Nikkor AF-S 50m F1.4G
    Zoom: Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm GII
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN468-II Speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D5300

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

Im thinking about it as well.  there are a couple of other brands out there getting good reviews: Huion and Ugee (not made up names honest!)

One question i have is about the size, small or medium?  im using a 27" screen and wonder if the accuracy will be sufficient on a small one (8x6 or 10x8 inches)

i also would like to know if there are any compatibility issues with PSE:  does the WACOM device work better/more options than other brands..?

A photo is a moment in time that lasts forever..

#5 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF 17-40 mm 4L USM
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

My advice would be if you like to draw and find yourself very comfortable drawing then try out a tablet. It's not quite the same but from what friends and co-workers who use them have told me you figure it out pretty quickly. If you're like me and can't draw just stick with a mouse. You can do just as much detail work with them as you can a pen, it just depends on the user.

As for size... When I did use to use them I found having a small tablet made it much harder to use so if you can afford one of the bigger ones I would recommend going that direction. Besides, while you may find that you don't like one that's too small I doubt you'll find you dislike one that's too big.

#6 Terry W

Terry W

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida
  • Lenses:Canon EFS 18-55
    Sigma 70-300
    Canon 100-400
    Canon 24-105
  • Flashes:DC 952AF
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon XSI
    Canon 7D

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

I have been using a wacom intuos 4 for a while for doing all the artwork for my etching. Mostly vector work and it works great for that. They have a huge learning curve even if you can draw. It's not the drawing that gets you as much as the eye hand coordination. Looking at a screen and trying to do the same on a tablet takes practice for sure. Almost all the work I do is line drawing and I use keyboard shortcuts and the tablet for almost all of that work. As for photo manipulation I have found that it doesn't save me any time. But that's just me and I am a photo rookie.

If you get one my suggestion is to get a mid size. If it's large it takes up lots of space on your desk. You can also change the work area to fit your style and workflow. They have a small (I think) 4x6 or so and to me that was way to small. I wanted to be able to do one full stroke  without having to pick up my hand and relocate. If it's too small it made it difficult for me to make a nice smooth line.When I was looking at getting one most of the off brands had fairly bad reviews so I spent the money. If I were to do it all over again I would get a Cintiq at least a 22". That can double as a 2nd monitor as well. You draw right on the screen and can see exactly where your working.

Having used one for about 6 years now I really cant see purchasing one to do work in lightroom or similar. Now if you plan on doing lots of photo manipulation and adding effects and things like that then maybe it would be worth the money.

I know at least 10 people that purchased them and put them in a drawer or closet as the learning curve was too much. What I had to do was put my mouse in a drawer so it wasn't handy to grab when things were sketchy.

That's just my experience with a graphics tablet. I love it for the work I do but for photo work I think I would spend my money on camera gear, flash, tripod etc.  JMHO

Terry

#7 Mikeyj1

Mikeyj1

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire UK
  • Lenses:Prime: Nikkor AF-S 50m F1.4G
    Zoom: Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm GII
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN468-II Speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D5300

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback...even if it wasn't my original post

I'm sure it's useful to both of us
Cheers

A photo is a moment in time that lasts forever..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users