• Lenses:Olympus m.Zuiko 25mm f1.8
    Olympus m.Zuiko 40-150mm f4-5.6
    Olympus m.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ f3.5-5.6
    Minolta MD 50mm f2
  • Flashes:Nissin i40 (MFT version)
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10
    Canon Powershot G11

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

Good day. I was wondering if there are triggers (wired or wireless) specifically for MFT gear (I use an E-M10) or can I use any common brand like Pocket Wizards? I read that the TTL function is different for each camera system which is why I specifically bought the MFT version of the Nissin i40. I want to add more strobes in the futures and I don't think the optical triggers will cut it in multi strobes setups. Thanks.

#2 Billy

Billy

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Lenses:Sigma 19mm/2.8, Sigma 30mm/2.8, Panasonic 45-175mm, Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN560-III
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic G3, Olympus E-M10

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

I use cheap Yongnuo's (RF-603 II C, for Canon), but without TTL.  They work like a charm with my E-M10 and YN-560 III which has a built in receiver.  When I researched this, I couldn't find ANY wireless triggers with TTL for M43, so I went with a non-TTL flash.  If the flash is off-camera, it seems like being able to adjust it from the camera would be more useful than TTL in which case something like the Yongnuo YN-622C-TX might fit the bill, but I'm almost certain the TTL function won't work.

If your flash won't be too far away and you really want the TTL, you could go with a hotshoe extender such as:

http://amzn.to/1IGCZcs

#3 Scott Pua

Scott Pua

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Lenses:Olympus m.Zuiko 25mm f1.8
    Olympus m.Zuiko 40-150mm f4-5.6
    Olympus m.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ f3.5-5.6
    Minolta MD 50mm f2
  • Flashes:Nissin i40 (MFT version)
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10
    Canon Powershot G11

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Billy. I know I should start learning how to use my flash in Manual mode :)

#4 Billy

Billy

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Lenses:Sigma 19mm/2.8, Sigma 30mm/2.8, Panasonic 45-175mm, Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN560-III
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic G3, Olympus E-M10

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

Well, if it's off-camera I would think TTL is less useful since the flash is coming from a different direction and likely a different distance compared to camera <-> subject.  But that's just an assumption on my part as I don't have a TTL flash ;)  I guess TTL would still be useful for getting close, and then you could adjust the flash up or down in increments.

I've found that the more I practice, the better I'm getting at setting my flash and exposure reasonably close on the first try and adjusting from there.

I don't have anything against TTL, it's just a bit more restrictive finding gear for M43 than other systems.  I guess since M43 is used less for portraits/studio type work and more in situations where portability is key.

• wiryawan likes this

#5 wiryawan

wiryawan

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationYogyakarta, Indonesia
  • Lenses:Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5-5.6G II, Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6, Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8, Panasonic 7-14mm f4, Panasonic 100-300mm f4-5.6, Olympus 17mm f2.8, Olympus 17mm f1.8, Olympus 25mm f1.8, Olympus 45mm f1.8, Olympus 75mm f1.8, Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II
  • Flashes:Olympus FL-600R, Yongnuo YN560EX, Yongnuo YN510EX.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic Lumix DMC GX7, Olympus PEN Lite E-PL6

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:56 AM

Agree with Billy's comments! I do use off camera flash with Yongnuo RF 603 C ii triggers too. It does take some time to practice getting the right balance between camera settings and manually adjusted flash power, but after a few months of practice, you'll get used to it quickly.

• Billy likes this

#6 seaoftime

seaoftime

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:00 AM

It would be great to have access to more system accessories like pocket wizards that fully work with mft but market share rules all. I have the same problem with my Pentax gear as well although it's not quite as bad as with mft. It really makes me wonder why there are so many companies in the four thirds consortium when most don't seem to release or even develop any mft products. Even Sigma doesn't seem interested in developing any lenses for mft, they just remount a few that were developed for other systems. Perhaps they felt burned when the four thirds system was abandoned by Oly and Panasonic and they lost all that r&d.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users