22 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas
  • Lenses:Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 55-210mm f/3.5-5.6, Sony 16-55mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Flashes:2 Yongnuo 600RT, Rovelight 600, AB800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, Sony a6000

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

So, I have compiled a list of sites/services from other Stunners that you can use to sell your prints with a general summary of each service:

1. SmugMug:  www.smugmug.com  List of Plans, Pricing and Features:  Allows you to host your entire website on their servers.  Full customization of websites as well as templates to start with.  Private galleries, create your own pricing available, professional printing, E-Commerce and Unlimited Space for uploading photos. 
  2. Zenfolio:  www.zenfolio.com  List of Plans, Pricing and Features:  Allows you to host your entire website on their servers.  Full customization of websites as well as templates to start with.  Private galleries, create your own pricing available, professional printing, E-Commerce and Unlimited Space for uploading photos. 
  3. 500px:  www.500px.com List of Plans, Pricing and Features: Picture Sharing Website with the ability to sell your photos via your own 500px page.  Ability to build portfolio page with customization.  
  4. BluDomain.com www.BluDomain.com List of Plans, Pricing and Features:  Allows you to host your entire website on their servers.  Full customization of websites as well as templates to start with.  Private galleries, create your own pricing available, professional printing, E-Commerce and Unlimited Space for uploading photos.
  5. Photocrati.com www.photocrati.com List of Plans, Pricing and Features:  Allows you to host your entire website on their servers.  Full customization of websites as well as templates to start with.  Private galleries, create your own pricing available, professional printing, E-Commerce and Unlimited Space for uploading photos.
  6. Shootproof.com http://www.shootproof.com List of Plans, Pricing and Features:  Allows you to host your entire website on their servers.  Some customization of websites as well as templates to start with. Private galleries, create your own pricing available, professional printing, E-Commerce and pricing depends on how many photos are uploaded.  Unique to this site:  no commission charged for sales.  

Now, I am sure there are plenty more out there, but this is just  what I found when doing a search through the SDP Facebook page.  It seems to be a pretty even split between SmugMug and Zenfolio for the top referred to services.  

Personally, I use Zenfolio and can offer a referral discount should you decide to use that service.  However, I feel that you should do your homework and look at each service carefully before deciding on which one to use.  If you have specific questions about each of these services, please feel free to reply to this topic.  I think we have enough people using each service to get you a reasonable answer.  

UPDATE: 9/14/2013 - Zenfolio added some new Features:  http://www.zenfolio....atures/13-09-13

UPDATED:  9/17/2013 - Added Photocrati.com to list

UPDATED:  10/15/2013 - Added Shootproof.com to list

• richocampo, David Thorman, Billy and 4 others like this

#2 Alyson Brimecombe

Alyson Brimecombe

SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Lenses:Canon 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS
    Sigma 30mm 1.4
    Sigma 70-200mm 2.8
    Tamron 24-70mm 2.8
    Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro
  • Flashes:Canon 580EX speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D
    Canon 6D

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

I sell prints directly to clients. I sell 4 products: canvas, acrylic blocks, albums and prints. Plus digitals.
  • Justin Eckert and Kris Drake like this

#3 Jeff VanderWeide

Jeff VanderWeide

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHudsonville,Michigan
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Joe, 

Could you post the fees maybe? Gives an idea of what some might be able to afford right off the bat. I am on a free trial at SmugMug right now but don't think I can afford Pro just yet.

I like the fact that pictures are worth a thousand words, its makes me a speed reader.

#4 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas
  • Lenses:Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 55-210mm f/3.5-5.6, Sony 16-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Joe, 

Could you post the fees maybe? Gives an idea of what some might be able to afford right off the bat. I am on a free trial at SmugMug right now but don't think I can afford Pro just yet.

Jeff, you can click on the "List of Plans, Pricing and Features" which is an actual link to each site's pricing and plans.  I did not want to put pricing as they may change, and I want people to get the real price from the real sites... Hope that helps!

#5 Jeff VanderWeide

Jeff VanderWeide

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHudsonville,Michigan
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Jeff, you can click on the "List of Plans, Pricing and Features" which is an actual link to each site's pricing and plans.  I did not want to put pricing as they may change, and I want people to get the real price from the real sites... Hope that helps!

Thanks Joe, I'll check them out.

I like the fact that pictures are worth a thousand words, its makes me a speed reader.

#6 Shane Jay Hayes

Shane Jay Hayes

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL
  • Lenses:25mm, 14-42mm (M4/3), 40-150mm (M4/3), 50mm, 80-200mm, 18-55mm, 75-300mm.
  • Flashes:Bower,
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Pentax K-1000, Olympus E-PL1, Canon EOS Rebel T3

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

I really enjoy SmugMug a lot.  Great deal compared to the others and some great options for selling prints.  I haven't had a chance to fully set everything up yet but it is getting there.

http://www.medicaltreason.com

Shane Jay Hayes

http://www.123shoot.me

http://500px.com/ShaneJayHayes

#7 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

I really enjoy SmugMug a lot.  Great deal compared to the others and some great options for selling prints.  I haven't had a chance to fully set everything up yet but it is getting there.

http://www.medicaltreason.com

I just recently switched over from SmugMug to Zenfolio.  I liked the service personally, however, it seemed that my customer's had difficulty navigating the purchasing flow.  I also had to pay for the upgraded service in order to have multiple price lists.  With Zenfolio, I can have multiple price lists; friends and family and normal pricing that is standard with their Business service.  I know that SmugMug has recently changed a lot of features that could help offset the extra money, but I am not sure.  I attempted to look at your site, but I guess it's still under construction.  Feel free to visit mine.  The link is in my signature below.  

#8 Chelsea Higgins

Chelsea Higgins

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Lenses:Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 17-70mm, Canon 70-300mm
  • Flashes:Canon 430EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DMIII, Canon Rebel T3i

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

I started using www.shootproof.com, mainly because they had a free account option with zero commission (up to 100 photos, more if you had a friend sign up).  After I needed more space I upgraded to a $10/month option which suits me as a part time photographer (1500 photos).  Galleries expire when you want them to.  Clients can order through one of 3 different labs (you choose which), they can see for themselves how an 8x10 crop will look (and decide to get a bigger print!), as well as view their photo in color, B&W, sepia, etc.  There's automated emails, and it's paypal friendly.  Another huge selling point for me is it's easy to create discounts for items, dollar ammounts, etc.  I'm a big fan, so far! :)

• Billy likes this

#9 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

I started using www.shootproof.com, mainly because they had a free account option with zero commission (up to 100 photos, more if you had a friend sign up).  After I needed more space I upgraded to a $10/month option which suits me as a part time photographer (1500 photos).  Galleries expire when you want them to.  Clients can order through one of 3 different labs (you choose which), they can see for themselves how an 8x10 crop will look (and decide to get a bigger print!), as well as view their photo in color, B&W, sepia, etc.  There's automated emails, and it's paypal friendly.  Another huge selling point for me is it's easy to create discounts for items, dollar ammounts, etc.  I'm a big fan, so far! :)

Chelsea,  thanks for the info!  I have added their website to the list!  Let us know how you feel about it after a few more months!  :)

#10 Kris Drake

Kris Drake

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
    Sigma 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 II HSM OS
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN468-II (speedlite)
    Yongnuo YN-622C ETTL (trigger)
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 600D

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I havent used any of these sites yet, but this feed is really helpful, so thank you! How much roughly can you expect to earn/charge per photo? Are the photos/galleries viewable by anybody?

• Mr_McBride likes this

#11 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

I havent used any of these sites yet, but this feed is really helpful, so thank you! How much roughly can you expect to earn/charge per photo? Are the photos/galleries viewable by anybody?

Kris, on most of these sites, the pricing of your prints is totally up to you.  There is no specific amount to charge and you would have to do your research on other photographer's websites to figure out where your pricing should be.  As far as the galleries, most of these sites will password protect the galleries of your clients. I can answer questions about SmugMug and Zenfolio, since I have used both services, so just let me know if you go that route and I can help you there.  

• Ashley Ide and Mr_McBride like this

#12 Ashley Ide

Ashley Ide

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationuk
  • Lenses:Tamron 70-200
    sigma 150-600
    Canon 100mm
    Tamron 24-70
    Sigma 50 art
  • Flashes:Yn568ex
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon 5d mk3 x2

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

Again some great advice joe i will be using zenfolio when i can afford the fees not worth it at the moment as im starting out but i did the trail and its a great site with great services

• Joe Baker likes this

#13 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Again some great advice joe i will be using zenfolio when i can afford the fees not worth it at the moment as im starting out but i did the trail and its a great site with great services

Ashley, yeah they are a really great service!  Whenever you do decide to set up an account, let me know as I can save you 10% off of your yearly subscription.  :) :) <Team Smiley Face>

#14 James Bitrick

James Bitrick

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Lenses:EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm macro, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 16-250 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-568 II EX ETTL Speedlite, Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite, Yongnuo LED Macro Ring Flash MR-58
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, Nikon D3200

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the post Joe.  It's very timely.  I've actually been trying to do some of this research myself.  Problem is, there are so many companies that claim to offer the best solution, it's almost difficult to weed them out.  Among those you've listed, I've ran across these:

http://www.photobiz.com/

http://virb.com/

http://www.photoshelter.com/

http://www.squarespace.com

http://redframe.com

http://intothedarkroom.com

Curious if anyone has had any experiences with these (good and bad)?  At this point, there are so many options, I'm kind of stuck in neutral just spinning my wheels.

Again, thanks for the post Joe!

#15 Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Lenses:Samyang 14mm 2.8
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Samsung NX1000
    Samsung NX3000

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

I discovered this site a short while ago: http://fineartamerica.com/

#16 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the post Joe.  It's very timely.  I've actually been trying to do some of this research myself.  Problem is, there are so many companies that claim to offer the best solution, it's almost difficult to weed them out.  Among those you've listed, I've ran across these:

http://www.photobiz.com/

http://virb.com/

http://www.photoshelter.com/

http://www.squarespace.com

http://redframe.com

http://intothedarkroom.com

Curious if anyone has had any experiences with these (good and bad)?  At this point, there are so many options, I'm kind of stuck in neutral just spinning my wheels.

Again, thanks for the post Joe!

James, I created this list by browsing both the Facebook forum and this particular forum.  So I don't think that you will receive much feedback from those sites that you listed.  There are a ton of options out there, unfortunately.  :(  However, let me know which one you pick and then I can add it to the list.  As stated before though, I have a discount code, should you decide to go to Zenfolio, and I would be more than happy to share it with you.  :) :) <Team Smiley Face>

#17 willdog26

willdog26

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIdaho
  • Lenses:Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    Tamron AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 (IF)
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN468-II Speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:NIKON D3
    NIKON D7100

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

I'm very happy with my photoshelter site, wish I could swing the beam portfolio offered at $30/mo but were I'm just starting need to keep costs low. I'm currently looking for a second site to host my archives were I can still sell the digital downloads or prints. It's either that or step up to the plate and invest in the $30/mo plan.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

website and portfolio (www.gooddogphotos.com)

Facebook Fan Page (www.facebook.com/gooddogphotography)

Twittley Tweet Twitter (www.twitter.com/gooddogphotos)

Instagram (http://instagram.com...dogphotography/)

#18 Tracy Waitkus

Tracy Waitkus

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationAvila Beach, California USA
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 85mm 1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm 4.5/5.6
    Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS
  • Flashes:Nikon Speedlight SB-400
    Paul C. Buff Einstein Studio Lights
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

I've been using ShootProof for about 10 months and am very happy with it.  I use it to create proofing galleries from my shoots, and to sell prints and digital images to my clients.  It is easy to use and flexible.  I recently started using Bay Photo (one of their lab partners) for print fulfillment, and the quality is great.

• Joe Baker likes this

#19 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

I'm very happy with my photoshelter site, wish I could swing the beam portfolio offered at $30/mo but were I'm just starting need to keep costs low. I'm currently looking for a second site to host my archives were I can still sell the digital downloads or prints. It's either that or step up to the plate and invest in the $30/mo plan.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Willdog, that's over $300 a year just to host your site!  I pay $120 a year for mine. I have unlimited storage and pick which galleries that I want to show to the public.  You seriously may want to look at your services and compare.  

#20 willdog26

willdog26

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIdaho
  • Lenses:Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    Tamron AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 (IF)
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN468-II Speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:NIKON D3
    NIKON D7100

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Willdog, that's over $300 a year just to host your site!  I pay $120 a year for mine. I have unlimited storage and pick which galleries that I want to show to the public.  You seriously may want to look at your services and compare.

I am currently paying 9.99/mo but am limited to 10 GB, when comparing Zenfolio to Photoshelter there are many similarities. The main difference is storage.

I upload a lot of photos at once and do mass IPTC edits and pricing for a gallery at once rather than by individual images. The commerce aspect is extremely quick and easy. How does zen folio perform in regards to the above mentioned? Having unlimited storage is very appealing right now.

website and portfolio (www.gooddogphotos.com)

Facebook Fan Page (www.facebook.com/gooddogphotography)

Twittley Tweet Twitter (www.twitter.com/gooddogphotos)

Instagram (http://instagram.com...dogphotography/)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Business, Printing, Website, Gallery, Professional

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users