• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevkelsar

kevkelsar

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

I offered to shoot my first wedding at the first of the year for some friends.  My goal is to eventually be a wedding photographer, but I know I still have a ways to go before I can ever advertise myself as such.  I was very open with the bride and groom beforehand about my limitations (specifically gear), but if I didn't do it then they would have likely had a bunch of cell phone snap shots for their memories.

A little more background, this was a VERY low budget wedding organized by members of our church community in about two weeks.  All decorations were donated, cake and flowers (bouquet, boutonnieres, etc.) made and donated by a church member, and the wedding was held in our church because it was a free place to do it.  If any of you are familiar with churches for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you'll know they are NOT great places for photography.  The whole wedding, except for a few ring shots, was shot using my Nikon D5200 with the 50mm 1.8G lens and a Yongnuo 568-EX speedlight.  Posed shots had the speedlight off camera on a stand shooting through a white umbrella while the preparation, ceremony, and reception had the flash on camera using a Rogue Flashbender.  I know I committed a major photography sin, but I had just purchased the speedlight and modifiers (Rogue, stand, umbrella, triggers, batteries) just a week before the wedding so I didn't have much experience with them.

I would love some good CC on how to improve my technique.  Yes, I found out quickly how crazy and fast paced a wedding day can be, but the photographer is still expected to get results.  Please don't CC on my website...I know it needs a lot of work.  :)  Thanks in advance!

http://www.kevinreml...artley-wedding/

#2 Samantha Schannon

Samantha Schannon

SDP Team Member

• Administrators
  • 178 posts
  • LocationConnecticut Shoreline
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S FX, Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS, Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Wide Angle, Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S, Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART DG HSM, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-468 II i-TTL Speedlite, Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight, AlienBees B800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D700, Nikon D750, Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G7 Mirrorless

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

First, you need more self confidence! The way you prefaced this I was expecting terrible photos to be quite honest, but yours were great! Especially for your first wedding AND  crash coursing yourself on speedlights only a week prior.  You did a great job with exposure and you didn't forget the detail shots.  For a first wedding I'd say you nailed it.  You have a natural eye, and I think if you keep it up you will just get even better.  I think you might want to invest in a zoom lens especially if you're going to be doing more weddings.  There are lots of times when you will not be able to get as close as you were able to get in this wedding.  What did the bride and groom think of the images?  

Samantha Schannon
Samantha Annette Photography

www.SamanthaAnnette.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SamanthaAnnettePhotography
Twitter: @CT_Photographer
Instagram: CT_Photographer

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:41 AM

I held off commenting waiting for others more experienced to comment first. I have taken pics at a a few weddings of friends and relatives though would never have the courage that you have shown in being THE photographer. You did a great job, and I think that there is great reward in capturing an image that the happy couple treasure as a memory of the day, and if you can do that,
I suspect you have done well enough. People pics ain`t my thing, just do not have the skill to work that closely with folk, that
you and others do. The wedding pics I took were set up by the professionals so I was poaching to some extent, though learned a bit from watching the Pro while keeping out of the way and trying not to divert eye contact of the subjects when the pro was shooting, and from those limited experiences I would suggest volunteering as an assistant or second photographer at weddings might be
worthwhile, or if not there is plenty of folk sharing such experiences and advice on the WWW. Good luck.

#4 kevkelsar

kevkelsar

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

Thank you very much!  Yes, a zoom lens is definitely my next major purchase/upgrade.  I felt like I was a bit too obtrusive at times needing to get so close.  I'm also looking to get a standard zoom lens so I can get some wider shots when needed because I felt really cramped with the 50mm on my crop sensor in the smaller prep room.

Thanks again for the encouragement!  I know I have a lot to learn and experience, so the vote of confidence sure does help.  :)

• Samantha Schannon likes this

#5 Petbro30

Petbro30

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorthampton England
  • Lenses:Sigma 50mm 1.4
    Canon 100mm macro 2.8
    Canon 16-35 2.8
    Canon 24-70 2.8
    Canon 70-200 2.8
    Canon 100-400
    Canon 500 f4
  • Flashes:Canon 580 ex 11
    Marino macro flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 1Dx
    Canon 5d mk111
    Canon 350 converted to infra red
    Canon eos 620 film

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:17 AM

Well I have to agree, I think concidering it was your first attempt and the limited equipment you did a fantastic job. Well done mate and yea a decent zoom will help loads and give you a much narrower depth of field to get rid of the unwanted backgrounds and really make your subject stand out. Keep it up my friend.

#6 ebit

ebit

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma Art 35mm F1.4
    Canon 85mm F1.8
    Canon 24-70mm L F2.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm L F2.8 IS II
    Fuji XF 16-55mm f2.8 LM WR
    Fuji XF 56mm F1.2 R
    Fuji XF 35mm f2 WR
    Fuji XF 50-140 LM OIS WR
    Fuji XF 1.4X TC
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT 2x
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 5D III
    Fuji X-T1
    Fuji X-T2
    Fuji X100T
    Sony RX-100

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:51 AM

given your gear and your constraints, I must say, you did an awesome job.  

I was faced with a similar situation (my hobby is a secret to some), and my friend lent me his Rebel T3i, 50mm 1.8, and a really old yongnuo flash and I had to shoot a really budget wedding with only 30 mins to practice and configure his camera to my preferred settings.  It made me REALLY thankful of my gear and cured me (temporarily) of GAS.

I must say though, your shots turned out much better than mine though I felt like my subjects did not seem to care about photography and did not want to do any portrait sessions.  Hahahah less work for me I guess!

As for some critique, this is purely subjective, but I would definitely prefer something slightly warmer color temp

DSC_1294 - you could probably not include this photo unless of course this person or event was quite significant... it looks a bit awkward

DSC_0841 - stepping slightly further back would make for a better composition to get more of the groom's head

DSC_0994 - stepping a bit closer and centering the hands joining would make a better composition as it shows some symmetry, creates a shallower DOF, and puts the attention on the exchange of rings (a black and white edit of this would also be nice) 

DSC_1046 - not sure if this is doable given your circumstances with a 50mm and some previously tight shots you did with the cake, but stepping back (or using a wider focal length and showing the cake with the couple feeding each other would add more context.  However, I can see why that was difficult or even impossible given your circumstances

DSC_0976-2 - tight shots like this, position the subjects further away from the background, to get a creamier bokeh  (you nailed it on DSC_0911-2-Edit)

As a general advice for weddings and candids, snap several photos and pay attention to the small details, even the background.  While its not a big deal, there are photos of people caught mid blink, which you could mitigate by snapping several shots (DSC_1159)

Your photos of the wedding cake, flowers and ring are great.

#7 cuda

cuda

Esteemed Community Contributor

• Stunners
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationPlainfield,IL
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS Series II
    Canon 11-24 f4.0 L
    Canon 16-35 f2.8 L Series II
    Canon 50 f1.4
    Canon 24-70 f2.8 L Series II
    Canon 100-400 f4.5/5.6 L Series II
    Canon 1.4 T/C Series III
    Canon 2X T/C Series III
    Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro
    Canon 17mm f4.0 L Tilt and Shift
    Canon 35mm f1.4 L Series II
  • Flashes:Canon 600 EX-RT x4
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DSR
    Canon 5D Mark IV
    Canon 1DX Mark II

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

I think you did a very nice job, it shows that you don't always need high priced equipment to take quality photos. Keep up the good work.

#8 P Bender

P Bender

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,994 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Lenses:EF 600 f 4.0L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 2.8L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 5.6L USM
    EF 28-300 f 3.5-5.6L IS USM
    EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II
    EFS 18-135mm IS USM
    EF 16-35MM F 2.8L USM II
    EF Extender 1.4 iii
    EF Extender 2.0 iii
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX ii speedlight
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DsR
    Canon 7D Mark ii
    Canon 7D
    Van Guard 283 CT Tripod
    Induro Stealth CLT 403 Tripod
    4th generation Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal Head

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

You have given a true gift to the happy couple. The moments in that you captured, they can look back and smile at.
Paul

Photos are a moment in time, that can only be captured once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users