62 replies to this topic

#41 Frank Dowie

Frank Dowie

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouthport, England
  • Lenses:Canon 50 f/1.8, 24-105 f/4L IS USM, Canon 75-300 IS USM,, Canon 400 f/5.6L
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN568EXii
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D Mk ii

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

I am planning on buying an android tablet and was wondering if any one can recommend a good Photo editing software, this is my first introduction to Android so would appreciate the help, to save me purchasing rubbish software.

Scratch that just bought an Ipad :wacko: after saying for years I wouldn't go down that road.

iPhoto for iPad is an excellent application. Aperture etc can't be installed on iPad.

#42 Ori Yosefi

Ori Yosefi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:Tamron 18-270
    Canon ef50
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 600D

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Anyone familiar with Picture Window Pro http://www.dl-c.com/?

It looks very powerful (although not as friendly as LR5), but I seem to be the only one to have even heard of it :)

Thanks,

Ori

#43 John Thompson

John Thompson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouthport Merseyside U.K
  • Lenses:canon 55-250mm
    18-55mm
    EF 50mm 1.8
  • Camera Body or Bodies:canon 600d

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Photoshop isn't the only image editing software on the web. If you are looking for alternatives this would be worth a read.

GIMP:

200px-The_GIMP_icon_-_gnome.svg.png

Price: Free

Platform: Linux, Windows, Mac

PAINT.NET

Price: Free

Platform: Windows

Aperture:

Price: $79.99

Platform: Mac

*This list will always be updated when I have time to add to it. :)

Thanks for the links, been trying to download gimp for my mac for a while now with no sucsess until i clicked your link, great!

I use to use paint net when i had a p.c. and found it really easy to use after a while and good fun for merging different images but there is no mac version. Gimp I've always struggled with but i guess ill have to start learning fast now.

• Ori Yosefi likes this

#44 Joebo9

Joebo9

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand
  • Lenses:Nikon: 18 to 55mm, 18 to 105mm, 55 to 200mm kit VR lenses & 70 to 300 non VR lens.
    Tamron: SP 10 to 24mm f/3.5-4.5 lens, SP 90mm Macro f/2.8 VC lens, SP 70 - 200mm f/2.8 VC lens
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 700
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried or know someone who has work with the CyberLink PhotoDirector 5 before. If so how would you compare it to Photoshop? I have been using it for a while now but would like to know how it stacks up to Photoshop?

Joebo9

#45 Vladimir Naumoff

Vladimir Naumoff

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
  • Lenses:Nikon 600mm F4 VRII (Nikon)
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport (Nikon)
    Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 (Nikon)
    Nikon 85mm F1.8
  • Flashes:YN-568EX for Nikon
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D810

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

Try Xara. Xara is simple to use very powerfull software package. I do have Photoshop but some work I prefer to do in Xara. Newest one is Xara Pro X10. Just upgrated.

#46 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:24 AM

Some people use G.I.M.P

#47 Aushiker

Aushiker

I come bearing news!

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationFremantle, Western Australia
  • Lenses:Minolta MD Rokkor 45mm f/2.0
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/1.8
    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6
    Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300 mm f/4.0-5.6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D EM-1
    Panasonic Lumix LX100
    Panasonic DMC-FT-4

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Andrew

C&C always welcome
Equipment: Olympus OM-D EM-1 | Panasonic Lumix LX100 | Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 I | Olympus 17mm f/1.8 | Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 | Minolta MD Rokkor 45mm f/2.0 |

#48 partty

partty

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

Sins I had to switch to Linux I struggled with virtual machines so I can use photoshop. But then things started to change and I opened my eyes. I found Gimp. I needed some mind altering to 'get it', but then I was in love. However something was missing. I was unable to convert from raw with GIMP. So I started looking around and I found DarkTable. At this point I deleted all virtual machines, because Darktable was better than lightroom in every way possible. If we put image quality, speed, requirements and makes sense aside, there is prety good documentation about it, and there is information about algorithms and render logic that I found very useful for squeezing out more from my raw images.

Here are some key features of Darktable.

+ Runs on Linux!

+ Doesn't run on Windows! (yes it's a plus)

+ It's free (and open source)

+ Uses 'Lab' colors for most of the renderings (if you don't know what that is, read it as 128 bit colors, it's a lot more than 32 bit colors).

+ Uses sidecar files. (similar to lightroom, it saves the changes in a text file, and doesn't destroy your image)

+ you can save styles

+ you can export huge number of pictures and continue working without noticeable drop in performance. (yes, it will take longer to export the images, but you are using the time to work on other pictures, so it is not wasted)

+ you can choose a style to be applied to images on export. (it's useful if you require different styling for different purposes, and you don't want to edit your picture twice.)

+ presets that can be applied automatically on pictures with a certain property, like pictures from a particular camera, or lens or camera-lense combination (and more)

+ Vector masks (vectors like splines), that can be reused in multiple filters, so you don't have to redraw it. Masks can be reused in such a way that the masks from one filter can be linked to the other and if you do some change on the first, the change is immediately reflected on the other.

+ Parametric masks using 3 different color space values to narrow the colors on which the filter will be applied. color spaces like Lab, RGB, HSL, and you can set the upper and bottom border for every color, for input color or output color. (It's so powerful I can't even put it in words. As a bonus you don't get halos because you set the rule for colors and not the pixels)

+ quick rating system

+ fully customisable keyboard shortcuts.

+ tons of filters

+ enthusiastic community for the newbies.

- the quick preview shows you focus points, but they are not very accurate and you can't see the pixel level (or so caled 1:1) in preview.

I found one minus. I dare you to find more.

For me, Darktable makes more sense as a software it's so much more intuitive than lightroom and it renders better quality images. I didn't needed 6 months course to use it, it's comes naturally. It has just 14 shortcuts you need to remember, but they are easy (F1-F5, 1-5, z , ctrl+z, and R) this is all you need to rate your images and remove the bad ones. Then you need to have a wheel on your mouse, because you can move the wheel to change the values by 1 (easy precision).

That's it. Its free, it's easy, it's fast, it makes sense! Try it and save your selves thousands of dollars.

Read more and Download

#49 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,654 posts
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

I have switched from Lightroom to Phase One Capture one Pro 8.
I also use lightzone's tone mapper.(free)

#50 tomwolski

tomwolski

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCambridge, NY
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4, Canon 70 - 300L f/4.5-5.6, Canon 100 f/2.8L Macro, Canon 500 f/4L
  • Flashes:Sigma EF 610 DG Super
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D, Canon 70D

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:48 PM

Curious as to what the Aperture users out there, assuming there are any left, are doing. Staying the course right now or bailing out for other software? Photos is a disaster and useless from what little I have seen of it. Switching to Lightroom presents some problems in loss of Aperture applied adjustments from what I've read. I use Aperture with Nik plug-in for about 99% of post processing...and very happy with that duo. Aperture gives me some basic adjustments and an intuitive organization set-up. Nik gives me almost everything else I need. Hate to lose Aperture even if it may be several years out before Apple pulls the final plug. So what are the Aperture folks doing? Thanks.

#51 martinc172

martinc172

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia
  • Lenses:Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm GII, Tamron 70-300mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN568EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D3300

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

I got a free version (v16) of Zoner from a magazine disc and like it so much that I bought version 17. I have never used Photoshop, but from what I have seen in videos, Zoner seems to be a very good option for newbies like me. See https://www.zoner.co...editor-download for a free 30 day trial with the option of continuing the free version or buying the Pro version. I am not connected with Zoner, just a satisfied customer.

#52 HowardW

HowardW

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationKent, United Kingdom
  • Lenses:AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VRII, AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED VRII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D3300

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

For a number of years I've been using PhotoFiltre ( http://www.photofilt...com/news-en.htm ). There are three versions, two are free, one has layers one doesn't, and a paid 'Studio' version ( 29 Euros ) this has layers and can use PhotoShop Plugins. It's French in origin but there are translations of the tutorials into several languages. Google will also find other English language tutorials.

#53 vladfrenkel

vladfrenkel

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Lenses:Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8
    Pentax DFA 24-70 F2.8
    Pentax FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
    Pentax FA 43mm 1.9 Limited
    Pentax FA 31mm 1.8 Limited
    Sigma Art 35 F1.4
  • Flashes:Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash
    Pentax AF-200FG Electronic Flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Pentax K1
    Pentax K3 Mark II
    Pentax K2 (film 35mm)
    Pentax PZ1P (film 35mm)
    Pentax 645 (film medium format)

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

http://www.pixeluvo.com

Looks very promising in my opinion. Still evaluating during 30 days period. Could serve as a nice bridge between RAW converter (LR, C1 or DXO) and PS/Gimp. Not as involved as latter, but has full layer support, masking, etc... and it is extremely easy to use...try it out yourself...I think usability is the real beauty of this program (for me).

It is also distributed via Steam. Cost approx. 34$

Here are some tutorials to watch, cause picture really worth 100 words...

http://www.pixeluvo.com/tutorials

#54 ASouthernSky

ASouthernSky

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Lenses:Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Type II Lens
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens
    Canon EF 75-300MM f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
    AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm VR II
    AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm Lens
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon Rebel T6s
    Canon Rebel T3
    Nikon D3300
    Nikon Coolpix P600

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

I have used Paint Shop Pro since it was for Windows 3.1   However, when JASC sold out to Corel, Corel has managed to progressively turn the program into a system hogging advertising laden piece of you know what.   I made the jump to Photoshop this year. 

#55 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,654 posts
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

Lol Corel has F#%ked everything it touches..

#56 jim bailie

jim bailie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:48 AM

I'm surprised no one here uses Corel Paintshop Pro and Aftershot Pro  there inexpensive and much easier to use Photoshop and lightroom .

Some times I feel like a Corel salesmen ( I'm Not ) It's just very good editing softwear for very little money .  If there is something wrong with it please let me know , I would hate to find out I wasted years on this software just to find out there is something better and cheaper out there.

I just noticed the two posts above me and I'm surprised by both  I've never seen any advertising and started   using paintshop 4 , I'm now on Paintshop X8 ultimate .  I started  using Aftershot pro when it was called Bibble 

now I'm on Aftershot Pro 2 .

As far as Corel F#%king up everything it touches  Every time I've had a problem with Corel software it's turned out to be me that F#%ked up not Corel .

• RAH1861 likes this

#57 HavToNo

HavToNo

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EFs 15-85 IS
    Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS II
  • Flashes:Canon 600EX-RT
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 70D

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

I use Zoner Photo Studio 17 and I'm very happy with it. It works great with RAW files.

Tim

Canon 70D

EFs 15-85 IS

EF 100-400 L IS II

#58 Doug S

Doug S

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF 17-40 mm 4L USM
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:02 AM

I never got the love for GIMP. Sure, it's free, but that's about how much it's worth. It works fine but the UI is the most confused jumble of what on earth were they thinking I've ever seen in the open source community. It is, to me, a poster child of why developers are not UI designers and why it's important to have at least one person who understands UX with the authority to say, "The interaction of this feature is terrible, make it better or it doesn't go in."

Honestly, best app for that stuff is a Mac app called Pixelmator, if we're talking about random other software that'll do the job. It's not as powerful as Photoshop (nothing is) but it's also a lot cheaper and pretty powerful if you have a Mac.

At this point, I tend to avoid free/open-source image editing software. It all 'works' but none of it is very user-friendly and if I'm making money with it I'd much rather pay for it.

#59 Armitage

Armitage

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Lenses:Nikon 20mm f/2.8D
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D
    Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
    Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3
    Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 DX
  • Flashes:Nikon SB-400
    Nikon SB-700 (2)
    Nikon SB-900
    Yongnuo YN-560 IV (3)
    Yongnuo YN560 TX Trigger
    Yongnuo YN-622N Triggers
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Nikon D7200

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

I've been sick and tired of Lightroom/Photoshop's lack of support for some RAW versions (I don't want to buy a new version of software because I got a new camera) and am thinking of PaintShop Pro X8 Ultimate...

#60 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:40 AM

I'm surprised no one here uses Corel Paintshop Pro and Aftershot Pro  there inexpensive and much easier to use Photoshop and lightroom .

Some times I feel like a Corel salesmen ( I'm Not ) It's just very good editing softwear for very little money .  If there is something wrong with it please let me know , I would hate to find out I wasted years on this software just to find out there is something better and cheaper out there.

I just noticed the two posts above me and I'm surprised by both  I've never seen any advertising and started   using paintshop 4 , I'm now on Paintshop X8 ultimate .  I started  using Aftershot pro when it was called Bibble 

now I'm on Aftershot Pro 2 .

As far as Corel F#%king up everything it touches  Every time I've had a problem with Corel software it's turned out to be me that F#%ked up not Corel .

I agree with what Jim says here. Even though I liked it better back when it was under JASC ownership (mostly because it was Jack the Giant killer fighting the Adobe Evil Empire), I think PaintShop Pro is still the best bang-for-buck image editor. I recently bought AfterShot Pro 2 and it looks very good too.

Rich

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users