• Lenses:Canon EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6
    Canon EF 75-300 4-5.6
    Canon EF 50 F1.8
    Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm F2.8 DX
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-560 III
  • Camera Body or Bodies:EOS 400D/Rebel XTi

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hello all,

I find myself in a position, like i should imagine most amtogs have at some point, where I have photographed an event and now people are asking me how much i would charge for images.

The event was for my sister in law and i didn't charge for my time - nor would I; she's my sister in law. She runs a dance school and put on a crimbo show for all the mums/dads and they are the ones asking for pictures.

This presents itself an opportunity as if people are willing to pay money for my images then i'll happily take it. I think my approach to presentation/sales will be

1) Create a mini collage (3-5 images) and put on facebook

2) Printing a few out in a mini album kind of thing so that mums/dads can physically see what they look like printed

3) Putting the rest of my iPad so that they can be browsed

But then how much do i charge for pictures? A general consensus would be nice :)

thanks

#2 Scottfauts

Scottfauts

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationChelmsford, Essex, UK
  • Lenses:Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC
    Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC
    Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk II
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN565EX II
    Yongnuo YN622C TTL Triggers
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5D Mk 3
    Canon 70D

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

You have to find that happy medium point between getting what you feel they're worth and what you think someone would happily pay.

That's obviously easier said than done, I would urge you not to see the pound signs in your head - remember each of these people are potential repeat customers, so giving them a preferential rate may benefit you in the long term as they may book you again or recommend you to friends which will reap much better financial benefits than selling the odd image.

Putting the images on your iPad is a good idea and costs you nothing, prints themselves are not particularly expensive but if you print them and they decide against buying then you're out of pocket. Facebook isn't a bad option but they really ruin your images and the quality won't look anything like how you'd want it.

#3 Samantha Schannon

Samantha Schannon

SDP Team Member

• Administrators
  • 178 posts
  • LocationConnecticut Shoreline
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S FX, Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS, Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Wide Angle, Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S, Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART DG HSM, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-468 II i-TTL Speedlite, Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight, AlienBees B800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D700, Nikon D750, Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G7 Mirrorless

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

May I see an example of your work? 

Samantha Schannon
Samantha Annette Photography

www.SamanthaAnnette.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SamanthaAnnettePhotography
Twitter: @CT_Photographer
Instagram: CT_Photographer

#4 David Boston

David Boston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationManchester - UK
    Canon EF 75-300 4-5.6
    Canon EF 50 F1.8

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hi - it's been a while since i posted the question; sorry about that. I appreciate your comments. @Samantha - i've uploaded a couple from the show to my gallery. See below.

Kids Dance Show
Kids Dance Show
Kids Dance Show
Kids Dance Show

I am going to keep it dead simple and only charge a couple of pound per image or something like that.

#5 Samantha Schannon

Samantha Schannon

SDP Team Member

• Administrators
  • 178 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S FX, Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS, Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Wide Angle, Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S, Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART DG HSM, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-468 II i-TTL Speedlite, Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight, AlienBees B800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D700, Nikon D750, Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G7 Mirrorless

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

I think it sounds like you have a perfect scenario to get a lot of practice with the photo opportunities through your sister-in-law.  What type of photography do you want to do?  Are you a hobbyist? Or are you working towards doing it professionally?  Would you be providing the images from a pro-lab or printing them yourself for these groups?  I think if it's a hobby and you like just making a few bucks than your strategy is a good one.  Having a few samples, and a place to view the images is all you need.  For pricing, I would calculate your costs of printing and editing and go from there.  Don't forget to take into consideration your experience level.  When I first started out my print prices were much less than they are now.  I think I charged $1.99US for a 5x7 and this year that same print will be $40US. 

Samantha Schannon

www.SamanthaAnnette.com

#6 David Boston

David Boston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationManchester - UK
    Canon EF 75-300 4-5.6
    Canon EF 50 F1.8

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for your reply. I am a hobbyist. At the moment I am desperate for a new camera body but have to balance the desires I have for my hobby against the needs of my family. If I can make a few pound on the side through pictures then it starts to become self funded and I can start to excuse the expense on the body.

I spoke to my sister in law and we have settled on £2 per image delivered via CD. We've set a limit of £20 too. So if a parent orders 10 images any additional one essentially become free.

Happily I have orders now which is a fantastic achievement for me just need to cut a load of CDs and put the proceeds towards a new body.
  • Tiffany SouthernSweety and SilentStray like this

#7 Samantha Schannon

Samantha Schannon

SDP Team Member

• Administrators
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

That's a great start, good luck I hope you're able to put enough money away to upgrade  :)

Samantha Schannon

www.SamanthaAnnette.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users