#1 Gavinthegooner

Gavinthegooner

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Finepix HS50EXR

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hey,

Recently upgraded from a bridge camera to a G5.

Wanting a bit more reach than the kit 14-45 lens, I bought a second hand Lumix 14-140 (The first version, f4.0-5.6). Although optically it seems fine, the OIS behaves in a way that I am not sure is normal or not.

I had read that the lens would rattle when moved and that this was nothing to worry about. However, when it is on and in use, there is occasional 'clanking' and the EVF picture 'jumps' vertically - even when I consider the camera to be held still. This doesn't seem to be related to how the camera is being moved (as it might if it was actually stabilising for shake). It also doesn't seem to affect still performance. It doesn't occur when the OIS switch is off.

Where it does affect results though is in video, where the picture regularly jumps. I've uploaded a small sample on Youtube because it's easier than explaining.... 

(

I contacted the camera store which supplied the lens, but had a phone message in return saying that in video I should turn the OIS off and that this sounded like expected behaviour.

I find this a little difficult to believe as firstly, I thought OIS would also work in video and secondly, it doesn't sound like expected behaviour - I certainly don't get anything similar with the 14-45 although that also has OIS (albeit without the physical switch).

Can anyone with experience of the lens let me know if I have a faulty unit or whether there is something I am missing?

Many Thanks

Gavin

#2 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

I don't know about the clanking, but I have some Sigma lenses (for Canon DSLRs) that have IS that do the same thing, even in an optical DSLR viewfinder - the image sometimes jumps vertically when the IS is on. It can be really surprising when it does it, but I do think it is normal for this technology to do this, and probably does not affect anything.

Rich

#3 Earl

Earl

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, Colorado
  • Lenses:canon 50 1.8, 14-40L, 28-135, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Canon 100-400L; Panasonic 100-300, 20 1.7, 12-35 2.8, 35-100, 2.8 14-140, 14 2.5 Olympus 75, 1.8. Several Canon fd lenses
  • Flashes:Canon 580ex, Panasonic fl360l
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic gh2, Panasonic GX7, Sony rx100, Panasonic FZ200, Sony rx10 II, Panasonic GH4, Canon 7dII.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

I would be suspect.  The OIS has been touted to help on video.  So I assume it works well.  I have that lens and several others and have not seen a jump as you describe.  Perhaps I am lucky?  If it does not do it with the kit lens, but does with your new one, then I think the problem is with the lens.  Find another body you can put it on to see if it still does it.  That would narrow the problem down some.  If you are using a tripod for the video, then that might be the problem.  They say to turn the OIS off if mounted on a tripod.  I do not know if the result you are seeing is a norm in this case or not.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users