• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S IS STM 18mm-55mm
    Canon EF-S IS II 55mm-250mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 70D

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hi All,

This is my first post here on the forums (in fact, I am just joining the photography community as a whole) and I am looking for some advise.  I want to do sports photography as mostly a hobby with the hope of making a little money from it to fund the equipment.  I have close ties to the local youth sports community in my area and was thinking that it would be worthwhile to attend different youth events, take photos and then sell prints/digital copies online (mainly targeting family of the players).  After doing some research into this, I came across Model Releases and the legal issues surrounding selling/publishing photos.  I think I understand the different scenarios regarding when one needs one and when one doesn't.  However, my particular scenario doesn't seem to fall into any of the ones that I have an understanding of.  I would be selling the prints/digital copies out right and not necessarily using the photos for commercial use (promoting product or services).  I wouldn't be charging anyone for my time, just the pictures themselves. So the question is, in this particular case, would I need a model release for the images I want to sell?  I realize that it may be best to just seem some advise from a local lawyer, but figured I'd give this a shot first and see if anyone on here has dealt with something like this.

Thanks,

~Jake

#2 Tracy Waitkus

Tracy Waitkus

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationAvila Beach, California USA
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 85mm 1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm 4.5/5.6
    Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS
  • Flashes:Nikon Speedlight SB-400
    Paul C. Buff Einstein Studio Lights
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:26 PM

I think I would check with the league(s) whose games you want to shoot to make sure it's okay with them.  They might want you to show proof of insurance, a business license, or even have a background check.

We had a photographer doing the same thing in my son's baseball league a few years ago and as a parent, I definitely never signed anything even though my son's photo was taken (and I bought it too because it was an awesome shot!).  

Good luck!

#3 jakes

jakes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S IS STM 18mm-55mm
    Canon EF-S IS II 55mm-250mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 70D

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the reply Tracy.  The more and more I look into the legalities regarding publishing/selling photos, the more my head hurts. I think that in the end I am going to have to consult a lawyer to get a better understanding of how all of this works.

#4 Tracy Waitkus

Tracy Waitkus

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationAvila Beach, California USA
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 85mm 1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm 4.5/5.6
    Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS
  • Flashes:Nikon Speedlight SB-400
    Paul C. Buff Einstein Studio Lights
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Yep.....it all falls under the "boring" part of paid photography!  Also something to consider....depending on where you live, you may have to collect sales tax and report it to your state.  Here in CA, I am required to charge sales tax for prints and other tangible products, as well as for session fees.  Digital image downloads are exempt from sales tax here, but images sold on a CD must be taxes.  BORING!!!!  This is not to discourage you, but just to give you a heads-up.  If you love it and want to give it a go, then go for it, good luck, and enjoy  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users