• Flashes:Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT 2x
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 5D III
    Fuji X-T1
    Fuji X-T2
    Fuji X100T
    Sony RX-100

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

I was at a wedding recently and during the reception, the schedule was running late.  The paid photographer left and was not able to capture the dances.  

I was not told of this and when the dance came on, and I stood up to get a better view with my camera, the MC had asked me just to take a few pictures of the dances.  I agreed because I know the bride and MC personally, and they are my old highschool friends.

I ended up shooting the 3 dances with my 85mm (I left my 24-70 at my table far from the dance floor), processed the photos and uploaded them on facebook.  

Now my concern I'm anticipating is that they will likely get a photo album from the photographer.  If the bride and the groom request for copies of the picture to be included, in the photographer's album, how should I respond?  I know the photographer will not likely want to use my pictures since its not their work, but I am anticipating the worst and I'm thinking the following may occur:

-my pictures uploaded will be used in the album

-the photographer may even ask me for my raw files to make the edits consistent with the rest of the album

-i may get requested for higher res jpegs

What are your thoughts on this?  I don't know how I feel since this is my work that I'm giving away.

Would you ever give your raw files to someone at request?  I could charge for this, but seeing as how several of my friends attended the wedding, it might not make me look good charging for the use of my photos

• Tracy Waitkus likes this

#2 Tracy Waitkus

Tracy Waitkus

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationAvila Beach, California USA
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 85mm 1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm 4.5/5.6
    Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS
  • Flashes:Nikon Speedlight SB-400
    Paul C. Buff Einstein Studio Lights
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Wow....kind of a weird situation to be in.  If it were me, and the bride was my friend, I would offer to edit and print the photos for her and give them to her for free or at cost.  I would not give my RAW images to anyone.  I might be willing to hand over my edited JPG files, if it was a really good friend. That's just me.  I think if anything, it reflects poorly on the paid photographer.  He/she should have planned his/her time more carefully.  I'm sure weddings run off schedule all the time, and the photographer should have been available to stay on and shoot the dances.  The wedding couple was fortunate that you were there and had your camera!

I see that your post was quite a while ago......did anything ever come of it?  What did you end up doing?

#3 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Ugh, I think I will stick to wildlife photography and MAYBe do some pet photography on the side lol. I agree with Tracy though don't give your RAW files to anyone...unless the price is right!

#4 ebit

ebit

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma Art 35mm F1.4
    Canon 85mm F1.8
    Canon 24-70mm L F2.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm L F2.8 IS II
    Fuji XF 16-55mm f2.8 LM WR
    Fuji XF 56mm F1.2 R
    Fuji XF 35mm f2 WR
    Fuji XF 50-140 LM OIS WR
    Fuji XF 1.4X TC
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT 2x
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 5D III
    Fuji X-T1
    Fuji X-T2
    Fuji X100T
    Sony RX-100

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

I guess I did luck out.  They ended up not going with the photographer for the album and decided to do one themselves since the photographer didn't stay for the dances and they figured the wedding album won't be complete without pictures of the dances.  So I agreed I would give them edited JPEGs to include in their album.  The photographer would provide them with high res color corrected JPEGS of the wedding coverage too.  

And yes, weddings always run late.  I haven't been to a single wedding where everything ran on time and everything ran according to plan.  The photographer should have known that since they are "professional wedding photographers". 

Luckily the bride and groom aren't photographers and have no clue what raw files are! hahahah

Edited by ebit, 04 August 2014 - 03:33 PM.

• Tracy Waitkus likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users