6 replies to this topic

#1 Jstorm_57

Jstorm_57

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington, USA
  • Lenses:Canon: 24-105mm f/4.0L Macro, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 400mm f/5.6L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZE
    Lensbaby Composer & Scout with adjuncts
  • Flashes:2x Canon 600EX-RT, Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, 60D, EOS Rebel

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

I am learning off-camera flash and just concluded my first wedding using this technique.

The lighting used for this particular shot was:

Front: 1 Canon 600RT-EX mounted on shoot through, white umbrella positioned high and to my left;

Back: 1 Canon 600RT-EX with Strobos Beauty Dish & silver reflector attempted as rim light.

* This light ended up being more of a backlight due to higher power setting than I should have used.

I worked up the image using CS6 with NIK Color Efex Pro 4 then cropped the original image to remove most of the white dress.

I am interested in feedback and constructive comments on both images. What could I have done better?

SHOT DETAILS

Canon 6D tripod mounted w/remote release

Canon 24-105L f/4.0 (96mm)

EXIF

ISO 400

1/180th second

f/10

EB -1

Thank you,

John

Attached File  IMG_0622_RAW_Small.jpg   109KB   0 downloads Original

Attached File  IMG_0622_C Square.jpg   152.33KB   0 downloads Post Processed

P.S. This is my first post to the SDP Forum. Hi! :)

"I'm just tryin to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less." Gus McCrae - Lonesome Dove

#2 stenchlord

stenchlord

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • Lenses:Oly M.Zuiko 12mm f/2.0
    Oly M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8
    Oly M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8
    Oly M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8
    Oly M.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro
    Fujian 25mm f/1.4
    Fujian 35mm f/1.7
    Fujian 50mm f/1.4
  • Flashes:2 x Yongnuo YN-560 III
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Oly OM-D E-M1

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

Looks like you didn't have the flash power up high enough on your key light, the kicker seems fine although might be a little too high but can recover the highlights in her veil and in with your edit the white balance seems to be rather off.

I'd have dropped back to f/7.1 or f/8 to brighten up the key light from the front facing flash and dropped the shutter down to 1/125 to bring in a little more ambient lighting.

Only had the low quality jpg to work with but did a quick edit on basic settings.

Before | After

Attached File  post-8019-0-10298000-1402424391.jpg   109KB   0 downloads Attached File  post-8019-0-10298000-1402424391-2.jpg   585.46KB   0 downloads

#3 Jstorm_57

Jstorm_57

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Lenses:Canon: 24-105mm f/4.0L Macro, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 400mm f/5.6L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZE

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Stenchlord - Good morning from the Pacific Northwest,

Thanks for your comments. I'll continue to experiment with the aperture/power settings as you suggested until I get my key lighting down. I agree that my white balance is off. I like your rendition better than mine. I'll take the image back to the RAW defaults and rework it.

Thanks again for your comments and taking the time to respond. I appreciate it!

John

"I'm just tryin to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less." Gus McCrae - Lonesome Dove

#4 stenchlord

stenchlord

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
    Oly M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8
    Oly M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8
    Oly M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8
    Fujian 25mm f/1.4
    Fujian 35mm f/1.7
    Fujian 50mm f/1.4

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

A slightly strong key light can hide imperfections in the skin (essentially has the same effect as using a lot of foundation).

It of course depends on the situation but I usually start with 1/8 power on my flashes if I'm shooting in the day and then figure things out from there.

For a kicker light a beauty dish isn't really required. Either naked flash with high zoom range or with a snoot is usually recommended, means you can more accurately aim your kicker for rim lighting specific areas as desired.

With a wider zoom or a beauty dish you'll likely rim light the entire person, which sometimes is the effect you want, but in cases like this all it usually does is outline the entirety of your model meaning there is a haloing effect around them which leads itself to looking like they were photoshopped into a scene.

In this case that didn't happen but with a snoot you could have aimed the kicker more accurately at her right shoulder which would have separated her from the scene but not blown out the highlights in her veil.

• Jstorm_57 likes this

#5 Jstorm_57

Jstorm_57

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
    Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZE

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have a snoot on my want list and will be ordering it in the next week or so. There is so much I do not know. I am laughing at my ignorance and having fun learning this stuff. Following your initial note I grabbed my PS for Dummies book and delved into the RAW control panels. Holy cow! I am already seeing improved results.

Q. For key light positioning, is there a typical placement or is it subjective depending on circumstances and desired outcome? That is, do you typically light women from above and off axis or...?

Q. Can you recommend any type of guidebook or website that addresses posing techniques for women, men, couples, groups, etc.? Do you know if Tony/Chelsea have any YouTube videos that address posing?

No hurry on these answers. I appreciate you are busy...

#6 stenchlord

stenchlord

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
    Oly M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8
    Oly M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8
    Oly M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8
    Fujian 25mm f/1.4
    Fujian 35mm f/1.7
    Fujian 50mm f/1.4

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

:)

In regards to key lighting or any lighting, it's subjective. It will depend on which way your model is posing and the kind of shot you're looking to take.

Usually though it is off to the left or right of your model and above or below eye level depending on which look you're hoping to achieve.

It's off axis though because usually people will have a secondary light/strobe for fill lighting. If you don't have a fill flash then you might find it better to be straight on.

BUT this will likely lead to very flat lighting which is why people tend to have it off axis.

In regards to books, I haven't really read any. I kinda taught myself stuff about photography through trial, error and then looking up YouTube videos.

Stunning Digital Photography does have a lot of useful information in it and all of the above is likely explained in better detail.

#7 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

Yes SDP has a really good chapter devoted to wedding photography and portrait photography in general. I am a wildlife photographer however I learned a LOT of techniques for OTHER types of photography that spilled over and had helped improve my main area. One other thing it has done is dramatically increased my curiosity about exploring other aspects of it as well.
I never in a million years envisioned myself doing portrait photography but now I would like to give it a try! I believe I may start by doing corporate portrait shots of management at the company I work. I have known them all for years so I think this will help me overcome any nervousness. Who knows? If I do well at it and they like the results it could open some doors of additional opportunity!

To answer your question yes, in the book and his videos Tony explains different poses both masculine and feminine poses, why they work and how it looks if you accidentally have a man posed using a feminine pose. Also he covers things like what camera angle to use if for example doing a corporate executive, male or female. It was very informative and will steer you in the right direction.
  • Jstorm_57 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wedding, Speedlites, Off Camera Flash, Dual Flash, Multiple Portable Flash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users