Back-Button Focusing

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 jayaram87

jayaram87

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Lenses:sigma 18-35/f-1.8, canon 70-200 F4 IS,canon 50 mm / f-1.8 prime lens , canon 18-200 ef-s lens, Canon 18-55 kit lens
  • Flashes:YN 568 EX MARK II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:EOS 60 D

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

I have set up BBF on my EOS 60D with AF-ON button . I also switched to AI servo setting from single shot as recommended by Tony in his book or video (i am not sure) . This helps when you are outdoor and are trying to photograph moving objects. The downside to this setting is i can't get my 70-200 lens to focus on low light situations indoors as the focus assist beam does not work anymore with this combination of settings. i was perplexed and did some googling to unravel the mystery. this is what i found.....   If you change to One shot or AI focus when using BBF , focus assist light works and the lens can lock focus as fast as canon lens normally do , otherwise it just keeps hunting. i just thought of sharing this information with others.

#22 Bryn H

Bryn H

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire UK
  • Lenses:Canon EF 100-400mm F4-5.6L IS II; Canon EF 400mm F5.6L; Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II; Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f4L IS; Canon 16-35mm f2.8L II; Canon 50mm f1.4; Canon EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS; Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II; Canon 1.4X Extender III; Canon 2X Extender III
  • Flashes:Canon 580EX II; Canon 600EX-RT
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 5D MkIV; Canon EOS 5D MkII; Canon EOS 7D Mk II; Canon EOS300D 665nM converted; Canon G16

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

I have set up BBF on my EOS 60D with AF-ON button . I also switched to AI servo setting from single shot as recommended by Tony in his book or video (i am not sure) . This helps when you are outdoor and are trying to photograph moving objects. The downside to this setting is i can't get my 70-200 lens to focus on low light situations indoors as the focus assist beam does not work anymore with this combination of settings. i was perplexed and did some googling to unravel the mystery. this is what i found.....   If you change to One shot or AI focus when using BBF , focus assist light works and the lens can lock focus as fast as canon lens normally do , otherwise it just keeps hunting. i just thought of sharing this information with others.

Hi Jayaram87,

I have used BBF for some time on my two main bodies, not available on my really old one. I keep exposure lock on the shutter button (light levels in natural light do change) and I leave focus set to AI Servo. I was completely unaware that this lost me focus assist in poor light so thanks for that info. This explains some odd focussing behaviour I noticed taking some shots at a recent family wedding. Something to watch out for in the future. I also didn't know that switching back to auto disabled BBF so that is two things I have learnt today and I only joined yesterday. Every day is a school day as they say. I can see that I am going to like it here learning from all you guys. Thanks Jayaram and all.

Regards,

Bryn H :)

#23 jinxtown

jinxtown

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWayne, PA
  • Lenses:All Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8, EF-S 10-22, 24-110 F4L, EF 70-300, EF 50mm f1.4
  • Flashes:430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 70d

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

I just set it up and have had fits and starts...muscle memory is getting in the way and i've missed some shots of my kids.  The more i get use to it, however, it feels like the right choice.  Word of advice:  practice well in advance of anything meaningful you want to shoot...especially fast moving, impromptu stuff.  Once you get the muscle memory down, its faster otherwise, you'll stand a good chance of missing the moment by pressing the shutter button down like you've done thousands of times before.  

For those of you that have been using it are you setting your focus to (canon speak) "one shot" "ai focus" or "servo"  I've left it on servo as a set it an forget it for any type of shooting.  I'm not entirely confident this is right, however.  

Please advise. 

John Guillaume
www.johnguillaume.com

#24 Knightwight

Knightwight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFernie, BC
  • Lenses:Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 Macro, Canon EF 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS
  • Flashes:Canon 430EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS T1i

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

I’ve been trying this BBF thing for a few days as well. I’m still a little confused on which custom function setting to use…AE lock/AF, or AE/AF no AE lock especially for wildlife situations. From all the research I’ve done I’m assuming the latter. I’m also finding the thumb position a little awkward since I tend to look through the viewfinder with my left eye….don’t know why I do but I also shoot a rifle left handed too. Go figure. I wear glasses so my thumb on the back button bumps up against them and just adds to the optic struggle. I guess the solution is to learn to look through the viewfinder with my right eye…feels unnatural though. I’m going to continue to practice with BBF despite these minor aggravations. I really want to see what all the fuss is about. :)

#25 Tony James

Tony James

Post Master

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationEssex. England
  • Lenses:NIkkor AF-S 35mm 1.8G
    Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 3.5-5.6G VR
    NIkkor AF-S 55-200 DX 4-5.6G ED IF
    NIkkor AF-S 70-300 DX 4.5-5.6G ED IF
  • Flashes:Nissin Di622 Mark II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D5200

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

I’ve been trying this BBF thing for a few days as well. I’m still a little confused on which custom function setting to use…AE lock/AF, or AE/AF no AE lock especially for wildlife situations. From all the research I’ve done I’m assuming the latter. I’m also finding the thumb position a little awkward since I tend to look through the viewfinder with my left eye….don’t know why I do but I also shoot a rifle left handed too. Go figure. I wear glasses so my thumb on the back button bumps up against them and just adds to the optic struggle. I guess the solution is to learn to look through the viewfinder with my right eye…feels unnatural though. I’m going to continue to practice with BBF despite these minor aggravations. I really want to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Left eye huh? Same here, but I don't quite find my thumb getting the way, it "rests" on my glasses, but isn't intrusive. Maybe that's because I have smallish hands, I don't know. Unfortunately I don't have the option of using my right eye to the view finder, it's very poor sighted, and I wouldn't see a thing.

I have a Nikon D3100 and my AE-L/AF-L button is set to AF-ON in the Button menu. I also use "single point" focus in the centre of the viewfinder. I think I read that setting it this way, pressing the button to gain auto focus, then releasing it will "lock" that focus even when you move the camera. But pressing and "holding" the button will give you continuous auto focus. For moving subjects I'm assuming. I've tried it out a few times, and it seems pretty good set up this way.

So for a static subject I just press the button once until focused with my subject centred, then recompose without touching the focus button, then press the shutter release to take the picture. I "think" pressing the shutter release half way sets the exposure anyway, so I assume if I focus and press the shutter half way, then recompose, the focus AND exposure will be locked from when I centred. That's how I've being doing it on my camera anyway. 

I'd like to add that I don't really like autofocus anyway, I'm old school, and like to manual focus if I can. I just don't think my eyes are good enough anymore :(

• Knightwight and cberganza like this

Regards, Tony

Awards Bar:

#26 David X. Li

David X. Li

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Lenses:EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM,
    EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM,
    EF 40mm F/2.8 STM Pancake
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-565 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:650D

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

I wonder if a custom viewfinder/eye cup would help? Maybe something like:

Eyepiece Magnifier
Cup Eyepiece
Eyepiece Extender

EDIT: Changed links.
  • Knightwight and cberganza like this

Awards Bar:

#27 Knightwight

Knightwight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFernie, BC
  • Lenses:Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 Macro, Canon EF 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS
  • Flashes:Canon 430EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS T1i

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

Left eye huh? Same here, but I don't quite find my thumb getting the way, it "rests" on my glasses, but isn't intrusive. Maybe that's because I have smallish hands, I don't know. Unfortunately I don't have the option of using my right eye to the view finder, it's very poor sighted, and I wouldn't see a thing.

I have a Nikon D3100 and my AE-L/AF-L button is set to AF-ON in the Button menu. I also use "single point" focus in the centre of the viewfinder. I think I read that setting it this way, pressing the button to gain auto focus, then releasing it will "lock" that focus even when you move the camera. But pressing and "holding" the button will give you continuous auto focus. For moving subjects I'm assuming. I've tried it out a few times, and it seems pretty good set up this way.

So for a static subject I just press the button once until focused with my subject centred, then recompose without touching the focus button, then press the shutter release to take the picture. I "think" pressing the shutter release half way sets the exposure anyway, so I assume if I focus and press the shutter half way, then recompose, the focus AND exposure will be locked from when I centred. That's how I've being doing it on my camera anyway. 

I'd like to add that I don't really like autofocus anyway, I'm old school, and like to manual focus if I can. I just don't think my eyes are good enough anymore :(

Thanks for all that. Going to experiment more that is for sure.

It's a beggar being a glass wearer and any fingers or thumbs brushing up against them, such as in this case with the back button as you squeeze up against the viewfinder, leaves oil smears no matter how clean and dry your hands are. It's bad enough trying to keep the camera optics clean from dust and whatnot without having to mess with your spectacles every few minutes. Right eye practice it is! They need to make cameras for left-eyed users.... :D

I wonder if a custom viewfinder/eye cup would help? Maybe something like:

Eyepiece Magnifier
Cup Eyepiece
Eyepiece Extender

EDIT: Changed links.

Thanks for the links. I have been eyeing up these simple additions for a while. I've heard mixed reviews on these things but for the price this solution is probably worth a try.

• cberganza likes this

#28 Bryn H

Bryn H

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire UK
  • Lenses:Canon EF 100-400mm F4-5.6L IS II; Canon EF 400mm F5.6L; Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II; Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f4L IS; Canon 16-35mm f2.8L II; Canon 50mm f1.4; Canon EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS; Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II; Canon 1.4X Extender III; Canon 2X Extender III
  • Flashes:Canon 580EX II; Canon 600EX-RT
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 5D MkIV; Canon EOS 5D MkII; Canon EOS 7D Mk II; Canon EOS300D 665nM converted; Canon G16

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for all that. Going to experiment more that is for sure.

It's a beggar being a glass wearer and any fingers or thumbs brushing up against them, such as in this case with the back button as you squeeze up against the viewfinder, leaves oil smears no matter how clean and dry your hands are. It's bad enough trying to keep the camera optics clean from dust and whatnot without having to mess with your spectacles every few minutes. Right eye practice it is! They need to make cameras for left-eyed users.... :D

Thanks for the links. I have been eyeing up these simple additions for a while. I've heard mixed reviews on these things but for the price this solution is probably worth a try.

I am also a left eyed shooter and a spectacle wearer for close work/reading etc. I have had to fit my cameras with diopter correction lenses for the viewfinder so I can dispense with the glasses for that bit at least. I still have to put them back on for viewing my captured image on the lcd so I spend most of my time shooting with my specs perched on top of my head. They spend as much time on the ground though. Perhaps I should resort to a specs chain although a diopter correction lens for the lcd would be better. No problem once zoomed in though - yet!!  Not having to wear glasses for shooting means BBF is no problem but shooting in portrait mode and trying to use the controls on the battery grip is definitely a handicap using my left eye. I am happier using the regular controls. Camera bodies for left eye shooters - I am with that one :D

#29 David X. Li

David X. Li

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Lenses:EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM,
    EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM,
    EF 40mm F/2.8 STM Pancake
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-565 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:650D

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Camera bodies for left eye shooters - I am with that one :D

You know, they do make right-angle adapters for viewfinders. I wonder if you could find one that's like a periscope to move the viewfinder to the left?

Awards Bar:

#30 Joebo9

Joebo9

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand
  • Lenses:Nikon: 18 to 55mm, 18 to 105mm, 55 to 200mm kit VR lenses & 70 to 300 non VR lens.
    Tamron: SP 10 to 24mm f/3.5-4.5 lens, SP 90mm Macro f/2.8 VC lens, SP 70 - 200mm f/2.8 VC lens
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 700
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

It does take a while to get use to B B Focusing, but once you catch on you won't go back to the standard way of focusing.

Enjoy!

#31 logan

logan

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Ca.
  • Lenses:Canon 10-18 IS, Canon 50 1.4(Let there be light), Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS 11, Canon 400 5.6 and....Dream on~~~~400 4.0 DO IS 2:-)
    Yo "Santa"
  • Flashes:Paul Buff Ultra Zap 1800's, Lumedyne 400watt battery pack system, YN 560's and YN TX controller, Misc "Hot" lights.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:70D, 7DM2

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

I set my autofocus to the center metering point only. This way once I back button focus, lock in my exposure with my shutter button, I can then reposition if I need to to use rule of thirds. Seems to be working nicely. Not sure if it will work with continuous shooting though. I am shooting single exposure. Here is a link to help you set it up:

http://james-brandon...anon-rebel-t3i/

Looks like I'm way late responding to your post, but....

I just went out and tried to using back button focusing on flying birds and "fast continuous shooting" to no joy on my 70D 70-200 2.8 IS +1.4.    I had to repress it continually, which failed miserably.   Holding the back button did not allow the shutter to fire at all. logan

Update; 8:45pm Looks like maybe solution is Ai Servo (I'm new to the bird thing),as mentioned in this forum, I'll test it tomorrow.

Reveal trumps level

Vote for truth

May your telemers be long

Speed kills

Have a nice life

#32 dmc1281

dmc1281

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Lenses:Tamron SP AF XR Di 28-75mm
    Canon EF 24-105mm
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm
    Canon EF 75-300mm
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 580EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D
    Canon T3i

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

I've tried BBF and it doesn't work well for me.

I shoot mainly dance and my focus is in AI Servo so I'm always holding the shutter button half way ready to get the shot I want, when I was trying out BBF I found I had to release it to take a picture which usually meant that I needed an extra movement before I took the picture and lost most of the good ones.

I was able to use it for portrait pictures I did but I abandoned using it so I wouldn't get confused.

#33 ajax

ajax

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Lenses:EF 24-70 2.8L, EF 70-200 2.8L IS II, EF 100 2.8L IS, EF 135 2.0L, EF 50 1.4, EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS, Sigma 1.4X TC
  • Flashes:580EX, 580EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:6D, 70D

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

You shouldn't have to release the focus button to fire the shutter.  It's good that you can though as it means even with AI-Servo you can focus and re-compose if you choose to.

#34 cuda

cuda

Esteemed Community Contributor

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationPlainfield,IL
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS Series II
    Canon 11-24 f4.0 L
    Canon 16-35 f2.8 L Series II
    Canon 50 f1.4
    Canon 24-70 f2.8 L Series II
    Canon 100-400 f4.5/5.6 L Series II
    Canon 1.4 T/C Series III
    Canon 2X T/C Series III
    Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro
    Canon 17mm f4.0 L Tilt and Shift
    Canon 35mm f1.4 L Series II
  • Flashes:Canon 600 EX-RT x4
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DSR
    Canon 5D Mark IV
    Canon 1DX Mark II

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:46 PM

I've been using back button focus on both camera bodies for about 6 months. Once you get the the feel of it you'll never go back. One big challenge is that you need to remember the locations of all the other buttons without removing your eye, from the viewfinder once you master that it's easy. Also it's faster.

#35 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

Once you get used to it the number of keeper shots you will get will go WAY up

#36 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 18-105mm
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm
  • Flashes:Nikon SB-600
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D90

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

I just started using this technique (last 2 days) and it may have to do something with hand size. My hand is large enough to keep my thumb on the back button but I can see where that may be an issue with people with smaller hands. The one thing I don't like is that when the camera is in fully auto the Nikon D90 does not revert back to focusing with the shutter button ... I did try the wireless remote and it did seem to focus then. But the truth with any technique is once you've mastered that technique doing something different may not be necessary!

#37 colne valley

colne valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • Lenses:.Canon 100 f2,8 macro usm .canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6is usm.sigma10/20f3.5 tamron 70-300
  • Flashes:Yongou??canon270ex11.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon7d

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

hi, I have been using bbf about a month now and love it.

#38 PeterPP

PeterPP

AKA Bad_Gray_wolf

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon 17-40 f/4L,
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon 10-18 IS STM
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Sigma 120-300 f/2.8,
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:.
    Sigma 500 dg super * 2
    Yongnuo yn-14ex ring fl
    Vivitar 3700
    White-Lightning x1600 * 2
    White-Lightning x800
    Alien-Bee abr800 ring flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS xti
    Canon EOS 20d
    Sony NEX 5R
    GoPro Hero2
    Canon SX280HS

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

BBF on all my bodies, even the venerable ancient 20D, been using it almost from the start of going digital.

To help confuse matters my new 7dmkii has 2 buttons set for back button focusing

The normal back AF button starts AI servo, case 5, expanded area AF.

The * back button starts single shot, case 6, high precision spot AF.

Focusing cases 5 and 6 are custom set, not the factory set cases 5&6.

Peter

#39 MattMadeIt

MattMadeIt

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm F1.4
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D5200

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

I use back button on my D5200 but it has caused me to change other things to avoid a few hassles. For example I had to disable instant playback of shots as the AE-L AF-L button doubles as the write protection while playing back images. My friend joked that it was like I was trying to get one step closer to film, waiting to see my shots until well after they had been taken.

#40 vladfrenkel

vladfrenkel

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Lenses:Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8
    Pentax DFA 24-70 F2.8
    Pentax FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
    Pentax FA 43mm 1.9 Limited
    Pentax FA 31mm 1.8 Limited
    Sigma Art 35 F1.4
  • Flashes:Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash
    Pentax AF-200FG Electronic Flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Pentax K1
    Pentax K3 Mark II
    Pentax K2 (film 35mm)
    Pentax PZ1P (film 35mm)
    Pentax 645 (film medium format)

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:20 PM

Yep. Totally switched to it first on T1i (old) and finally on newer Pentax K3 II...Great to capture sports photos of my daughter as well as portrait shots. Getting about 1 or 2 days to get used to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users