sigma 150-500
    Tamron 18-270
    Canon 50 1.8
    canon 28-135
    etc
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-568EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7d II

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:12 AM

Hi - I’m new to this forum. Looking for feedback regarding an issue. I use a 7D II w 100-400 II sometimes with 1.4x tele to take pictures of Bald eagles. Unfortunately, I have to heavily crop to get the reach I want, but end up with a low pixel count/sharpness issues. Do you guys have any recommendations?.

BTW – I could always spend a bunch and get a different lens, but Canon 600 is too expensive and I believe Tamron or Sigma reduces sharpness. One thought I have is would a Canon 5DSR / 100-400 II w /wo 1.4 tele be better, i.e. overcome the low pixel count after cropping while helping with sharpness?

#2 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:17 AM

Welcome to this currently very quiet forum Maierk We had some great wildlife photographers here who tend not to contribute much these days, since bots became a nuisance to them in the introductions section. This forum is supposedly destined to be closed down though as you see that has not come to pass..yet... Till then I tend to be one of the very few responding to occasional questions that arise, though my photographic experience is limited, however there should be loads of info still available to you if you search through past postings.

I suspect the answer to your question may not be as simple as... buy a hugely expensive lens...(-:  Though you could perhaps hire one if you think a longer lens might be the answer.... In truth I doubt it will be, as there would seem to be little substitute for getting closer, which I appreciate can be easier said than done, you just have to see the lengths that some folk go to capture the images that thrill. Of course some might "cheat" by using " semi-tame" eagles such as those at wildlife sanctuaries, though some folk live close to where eagles regularly visit and thus with care the eagles can get used to the photographer over time allowing him/her to get closer.

I bought a Tamron 150-600... when it first came out in order to find out just what a longer lens might do for my photography, which  was thought by me to be a great opportunity at a "reasonable" cost..... There are now quite a number of lenses in that sort of price range from a variety of  manufactures, Some can take a converter to magnify the image, some NOT though  to expect the same quality from a FAR less expensive lens would perhaps be foolish, however much depends on one`s own personal cost benefit analysis...?

Good luck in your choices, hope you decide to share some of your images here.

#3 PeterPP

PeterPP

Wild & Crazy guy from Canada

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
    Canon EF 24-105 f/4L
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4L
    Canon EFs 10-18 stm
    Canon EFs 24 f/2.8 stm
    Sigma EX 120-300 f/2.8
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:Made by Sigma, Yongnuo, Vivitar, White-Lightning, Alien-Bee
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS 20d
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Sony NEX 5r
    GoPro hero2

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

Just remember the 5dsr is a 50mp full frame,  so you need to crop in 1.6  ( down to 31mp ) just to get to the same frame size as the 20mp 7d mkii.

Not much of a boost and as people have found the high mp cameras are not very handhold-able, hopefully you are using a good tripod and gimbal head!

Main recommendation I can only give here is not equipment,  but find a way to get closer to the animals.

Basically you need to work on your stalking skills, which fortunately only costs in time! :)

I've attached a shot done with an old 8mp body and a very inexpensive lens, but I got close to the bird, it landed in a tree over my kayak. Very minimal cropping required.

Canon EOS 20D (8 megapixel) 
cheap Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM lens @ 300mm
Settings ISO 100 1/500 @ f/8

Processing Adobe CC LR & PS.

subjectAttached File  eagle_headshot.jpg   655.29KB   0 downloads

!

Peter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users