• Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

Given I am greatly enjoying this forum and have done for some time and can clearly see the benefits of C&T`s efforts to demystify Lightroom and Photoshop via their show and books, I am reluctant to buy into the Adobe plan of monthly payments, sure it is bound to be worth it for many many people though I suspect not for me as an old guy with an expensive hobby who has no intention of trying to sell any of my pics.   I have supported C&T by buying SDP and would do likewise if they brought out a book on Affinity, but they have not (as yet) and in that regard it seems things have moved on with Affinity in that they (Affinity) have created a "workbook" so looks like it may be less of a jump in the dark for me to try out their programme than it might be without a book and some vids to help in my struggles...?

I have issues with allowing a programme to take over all of my pics in a way that should it foul up or be brought to an end or any such incident/accident, that my pics could be lost to some degree, thus I prefer the idea of personal storage discs/hard drives etc,etc. for not only the original files but for those modified via the programme as "finished" pics, though not having any real PP/IT skills I have next to no knowledge in this area it will be a sloooooow learning curve, but at least the cost is affordable if it does not work out...hmm?

Any thoughts...?

#2 PeterPP

PeterPP

Wild & Crazy guy from Canada

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
    Canon EF 24-105 f/4L
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4L
    Canon EFs 10-18 stm
    Canon EFs 24 f/2.8 stm
    Sigma EX 120-300 f/2.8
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:Made by Sigma, Yongnuo, Vivitar, White-Lightning, Alien-Bee
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS 20d
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Sony NEX 5r
    GoPro hero2

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

Don't quite understand what you mean by that, with both Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC Classic  all the files stay on your own hard drive.

Photoshop is destructive editing (it modifies the file you are working on), Lightoom is non-destructive the original files remain unmodified.

The new Lightroom CC version is cloud based and you upload copies files to be edited,then download them again when done, I have no use for that version of Lightroom.

I tried Affinity Photo and ended up buying SkyLum (formerly Macphun) Luminar 2018 instead,

Also using  Topaz Studio which is free, but the "pro"  plugins are costly if you decide you want them.

There are a few companies making a run at Adobe the SkyLum one seems to be leading the pack at the moment.

There are even a couple of free options that are quite advanced and capable 

Also look at Darktable  https://www.darktable.org/ now runs on windows and Linux systems

and Gimp https://www.gimp.org/ also now runs on windows and Linux systems

I have issues with allowing a programme to take over all of my pics in a way that should it foul up or be brought to an end or any such incident/accident, that my pics could be lost to some degree, thus I prefer the idea of personal storage discs/hard drives etc,etc. for not only the original files but for those modified via the programme as "finished" pics,

Any thoughts...?

Peter

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

Many thanks for taking the time to reply Peter, I was beginning to feel lonely here...(-:

I have next to no digital skills and my PP understanding may be worse than that and from that standpoint I suspected that any PP programme would have it`s own storage area created for files modified by it`s programme, which if the programme stopped working for any of the many reasons possible may have left me in a situation whereby these modified files (images) might be inaccessible/unreadable in other than the original programme or one directly related to it i.e. Adobe..or whatever programme had been used..

Yeah, I have a LOT to learn.

Also many thanks for the suggestions Peter though have bought an iMac (sorry Rod) downloaded Affinity Photo from the Apple app store and have bought the Affinity Photo Workbook.... Expect to be tearing out what little hair I have left, for a while... 

#4 PeterPP

PeterPP

Wild & Crazy guy from Canada

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
    Canon EF 24-105 f/4L
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4L
    Canon EFs 10-18 stm
    Canon EFs 24 f/2.8 stm
    Sigma EX 120-300 f/2.8
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:Made by Sigma, Yongnuo, Vivitar, White-Lightning, Alien-Bee
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS 20d
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Sony NEX 5r
    GoPro hero2

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Yes all the programs seem to get insane with the amounts of options and features they end up including. :)

The Luminar from SkyLum was all Mac based until just recently when they released a windows version and decided to go after Adobe.

https://skylum.com/luminar

Nothing wrong with Affinity Photo! I used it during their alpha and beta testing phases,

just picked Luminar over it as it was better established with more features built in.

Peter

#5 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,697 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Peter.... Over many years I learned that if changing  aspects of a system of operation.. to change only one aspect at a time and test between changes to prove each change..... Buying a Mac AND installing a new photo programme was bound to open up a can of worms with who knows how many variables to try to overcome...!!!

My good lady wife has a Mac and a portable drive for storage whereas I have a PC with remote drives on which I store my pics. To date we have had no issues as she only saves and views images to her remote drive, whereas I use my drives as storage direct from the camera and for modified JPEG and Raw files which I have used both NX2 and Photoshop Elements to modify, which to date has worked out ok, as I have loaded some of my pics on to her drive from my drives using my PC which she is able to view on her Mac..GREAT..

Now with my new "upgrade" to iMac with it`s bells and whistles new photo programme, when I try to open any of my pics from my drives on my iMac in my new photo programme... Message... " no can do the volume is READ ONLY "....  Matters not whether JPEG or RAW...hmm  ???

Plug  my card reader with a card into the iMAC, and the pics on it open fine in the new photo programme ready to be worked on, be they JPEG or RAW.. (-:

So it seems there may be an issue in the drive(s) as even the drive my wife uses does not open pics in the new photo programme on my iMac, while the pics from all drives can be viewed on my iMac in Preview...!

Seems that Macs can view pics from drives and cards but can not modify them if the drive is configured in NTFS (Windows)format..  Thanks to Google for making that info available and Youtube for a vid on how to go about it.... Whether I will be successful or not is another matter given... formatting.... the drives is a part of the reconfiguring process... preserving the data being the first stageof the process.... Looks like Apple has finally got me in it`s grip...sigh !   

#6 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,697 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

An update on the update...(-:  Things are never that easy as it seems, in that while the Mac will upload pics be they RAW or JPEG  from my remote drives and that both can be opened using Affinity it seems the RAW files are not reporting as such in Affinity but as RGB, whereas the JPEGs are reporting as JPEGS in Affinity and to add to that if I use Affinity to open any of my RAW files from my card reader, they report as RAW files...!! Go figure.

While Youtube educated me as to the issue being down to the drives being set up for Windows and thus not compatible for file manipulation on a Mac it seems the work around may not work out for one with photographic interests in that RAW files stored on the drives seem to have to go a process of conversion that equates to them being converted to RGB files when opened in Affinity which may be less than ideal for those seeking to improve on their old stored RAW files...hmm ?

Still got some head scratching to do, though as a last resort I suspect I could partition the Mac`s drive and load Windows on to that along with Affinity thus provide me with the ability to work on my old RAW files stored on my drives.... and buy new drives for future JPEG storage that is Mac compatible.... ?

I get the feeling there is no one here now.... perhaps I have bored everyone to death....(-: 

#7 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,697 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

Replying to myself in the off chance anyone might find themselves in a similar set of circumstances. I used one of my camera`s empty flash cards on to which to load RAW files via my Mac from my external drive, then from that card I uploaded them to Affiniti which then identified them as JPEG... which seems to resolve my issues to some degree.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users