• Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f.5.6E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:57 PM

This morning this forum’s URL was redirecting me to Northrup.photo. I emailed Justin and he said this forum won’t be supported anymore. Not here. Not at Northrup.photo.
I guess Facebook is our only alternative.
In case we somehow are able to reconnect, my email is [email protected]
Many many many thanks to all of you, who have guided me from being a green beginner to a more accomplished beginner 😳 over the past almost 2 years. I have learned so much from all of you.
I hope we somehow connect again
Mark

#2 David_MC

David_MC

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

It's a shame that it seem to be going the way of the dodo.  My email is [email protected]

There is an alternative forum.  I've been a member of this photography forum since before I joined SDP, it is a great community of helpful people and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.  

https://www.photogra...rum.org/portal/

• elcab18 and PeterPP like this

#3 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

You guys can find me easily on the FB side. 

#4 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,168 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:13 AM

How about we swap email addresses ?

Mine is [email protected]

Im also in FB under the name, Roderick Breedlove  (don't ask.... ;-) )

• elcab18 likes this

#5 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,697 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:03 AM

Business is business  and I guess and things were getting quiet around here... perhaps because I typed too much and posted too many poor pics...Whatever... Thanks to all who put up with me for so long and from whom I learned so much but did not quite manage to put into practice..(-:  My selective Luddite ways equate to it being unlikely that I will use the Fleecebook or Titter  but will have a look at the forum David posted...CHEERS all. 

#6 PeterPP

PeterPP

Wild & Crazy guy from Canada

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
    Canon EF 24-105 f/4L
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4L
    Canon EFs 10-18 stm
    Canon EFs 24 f/2.8 stm
    Sigma EX 120-300 f/2.8
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:Made by Sigma, Yongnuo, Vivitar, White-Lightning, Alien-Bee
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS 20d
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Sony NEX 5r
    GoPro hero2

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

I hate facebook

A stable email for me should be [email protected] 

facebook sucks

and I looked at the FB group the last couple of days and find it to be not pleasant at all, 

high post rate, mostly ignored, and getting flamed apparent on some postings

With farcebooks attempt at mind controlling algorithmic timelines you never know what you are going to see or never see.

Yes, they took a leap into the "low cost solution" darkside, 

• geedee likes this

Peter

#7 PeterPP

PeterPP

Wild & Crazy guy from Canada

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
    Canon EF 24-105 f/4L
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4L
    Canon EFs 10-18 stm
    Canon EFs 24 f/2.8 stm
    Sigma EX 120-300 f/2.8
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:Made by Sigma, Yongnuo, Vivitar, White-Lightning, Alien-Bee
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS 20d
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Sony NEX 5r
    GoPro hero2

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

Gave them a join, see how it goes.

There is an alternative forum.  I've been a member of this photography forum since before I joined SDP, it is a great community of helpful people and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.  

https://www.photogra...rum.org/portal/

Peter

#8 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

I was quite upset to find that I was suddenly shut out of this forum.  Like Mark, I joined this forum when I first got a camera and it has been a place for support, advice and camaraderie.  I am disappointed that it will be no more.  I am not much of a FB guy and tend to avoid it.  Here are a couple of other sites that I plan to investigate further but look like good possibilities: http://www.naturepho...et/members.html   and   http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

The nature site was recommended by Tony Kuyper and there is a small annual fee, which I assume is for running costs.  The Miranda site is free and is very well set up in different categories of photography much as this one was.

My e-mail, by the way, is:  [email protected]

I have enjoyed being on this site.  You have all been very generous in sharing your photographs, your insights and support so thank you all, I have appreciated the time we've spent together.

• PeterPP likes this

#9 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 3,164 posts
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

I was quite upset to find that I was suddenly shut out of this forum.  Like Mark, I joined this forum when I first got a camera and it has been a place for support, advice and camaraderie.  I am disappointed that it will be no more.  I am not much of a FB guy and tend to avoid it.  Here are a couple of other sites that I plan to investigate further but look like good possibilities: http://www.naturepho...et/members.html   and   http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

The nature site was recommended by Tony Kuyper and there is a small annual fee, which I assume is for running costs.  The Miranda site is free and is very well set up in different categories of photography much as this one was.

My e-mail, by the way, is:  [email protected]

I have enjoyed being on this site.  You have all been very generous in sharing your photographs, your insights and support so thank you all, I have appreciated the time we've spent together.

<script data-cfasync="false" src="/cdn-cgi/scripts/d07b1474/cloudflare-static/email-decode.min.js"></script>

I am disappointed as well, pm and I will he happy to share email. I have posted on several sites for some time but find this one the friendliest and most comfortable. The Fred Miranda site is well run and imo has the best buy / sell forum for photography equipment on the internet. I find the nature forum a bit tedious because people tend to post a series of shots instead of choosing the best one and you don't get much advice, just " great shot " comments. The site that I have found that gives the best serious advice is Author Morris's birdphotographers.net. They have forums for everything from landscapes to wildlife but the big one is the Avian forum and the images and advice are the best I have found. A word of caution is that many of the posters there are very accomplished photographers and the advice can be very pointed. So if you are a beginner and or don't want direct criticism it may not be the best choice. Also it costs $35 a year or $75 one time so that is a consideration as well. Still I have had Aurthor Morris give me advice on several images and to me that is "priceless". Hopefully they will keep this one up for sometime to come and I will stay around as long as they do. I will post some goodwill if I see you over on birdphotographers.net as well. 

• PeterPP likes this

#10 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,697 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

Had a look at the site David posted and Peter joined... looked OK, though when I went to sign up, found there to be more "personal" questions than I am comfortable with supplying as I am a self confessed Selective Luddite, or digital donkey and as such am over sensitive to anything that feels like data mining.. C&T required very little for this forum which suited ME just fine thus I am left to wonder why such information as might be required for all sorts of interweb transactions might be required for a photography forum..??  

#11 TrailEx

TrailEx

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Lenses:Canon 24-70 F/4
    Canon 100-400 F/4.5-5.6 IS II
    Rokinon 24 F/1.4
    Rokinon 14 F/2.8
    Laowa 60mm F/2.8 2X Macro
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5D Mark IV
    Canon 6D

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Its too bad this little community is getting shut down. It seems like we are going to get scattered to the winds at this point. The FB group is not a viable alternative. For one thing it has over 31,000 members. I think I will be leaving the FB group at this point, as I'm getting tired of reading posts about how this or that is breaking the rules etc, etc.

If anyone wants to connect with me directly on FB, my name is Jeremy Schwartz (profile picture same as it is here).

Alternatively my email is [email protected]

It was good engaging with everyone, perhaps we'll find a new digital home out there.

#12 David_MC

David_MC

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

Had a look at the site David posted and Peter joined... looked OK, though when I went to sign up, found there to be more "personal" questions than I am comfortable with supplying as I am a self confessed Selective Luddite, or digital donkey and as such am over sensitive to anything that feels like data mining.. C&T required very little for this forum which suited ME just fine thus I am left to wonder why such information as might be required for all sorts of interweb transactions might be required for a photography forum..??  

Hmm... I know the forum does do weekly, monthly, and yearly contests frequently although I'm pretty sure they are mostly for bragging rights.  They do offer premium membership to access the a few extra features but I've been there for over a year and a half and haven't been pressured to pay for anything.   But I can respect your position though.  

• geedee likes this

#13 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,697 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

Apoligies if I mislead you David, I have no issues with folk having competitions, just that photography is not something that induces competitive instincts within me. I also have no issues with paying for membership, or in the case of C&T`s forum  buying their book to have access to the closed section.

I DO have issues with data mining whereby to join a forum I need to provide way too much personal information. Why is my date of birth a must have requirement and so much more.. there is GREAT value for some in such information, and as for ANY promises of keeping  data I might have to supply to join a forum secure....well now surely by now no one can believe there is any such capability ...?????

• Robbie S likes this

#14 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

<script data-cfasync="false" src="/cdn-cgi/scripts/d07b1474/cloudflare-static/email-decode.min.js"></script>

I am disappointed as well, pm and I will he happy to share email. I have posted on several sites for some time but find this one the friendliest and most comfortable. The Fred Miranda site is well run and imo has the best buy / sell forum for photography equipment on the internet. I find the nature forum a bit tedious because people tend to post a series of shots instead of choosing the best one and you don't get much advice, just " great shot " comments. The site that I have found that gives the best serious advice is Author Morris's birdphotographers.net. They have forums for everything from landscapes to wildlife but the big one is the Avian forum and the images and advice are the best I have found. A word of caution is that many of the posters there are very accomplished photographers and the advice can be very pointed. So if you are a beginner and or don't want direct criticism it may not be the best choice. Also it costs $35 a year or $75 one time so that is a consideration as well. Still I have had Aurthor Morris give me advice on several images and to me that is "priceless". Hopefully they will keep this one up for sometime to come and I will stay around as long as they do. I will post some goodwill if I see you over on birdphotographers.net as well. 

Hey John, thanks for this.  I went over to birdphotographers.net and signed on.  I wasn't charged anything, did I miss something?  It looks like a great site and I hope to see you there.  What you said about the Miranda site is interesting to note but the one thing I did notice, at least in the landscape section, is that the photography is of extremely high, professional quality in most cases.  So while it is a bit intimidating, I hope to be able to learn something even if it is only from looking at high quality images.

#15 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 3,164 posts
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

Kerry - I think all the potential web site forums probably work best for one type of photography or another. Birdphotographers.net is the best I have found for birds but for the wild life and landscape there may be better, I don't know. Fred Miranda may work well for landscapes, I have not spent enough time there to comment. The  advice I would give to everyone is to look for a forum that fits your level but does not level off and allows room for growth. It was difficult for me at first to read the cc from birdphotograhers.net but no doubt it as made me a better wildlife photographer. Viewing Kerry's images has made me think about and want to be a better landscape photographer although I am sure that there are sites with photographers more closely matched with his skills. I guess the point is that I look at this site as if I posting images with friends. If you have a specific interest and are willing to be critiqued there may be better sites. 

#16 George Ismailov

George Ismailov

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia
  • Lenses:Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Zenitar-M 50mm f/1.7
    Industar-61 L/Z 50mm f/2.8
    Mir-1B 37mm f/2.8
    Jupiter-9 85mm f/2
    Jupiter-21M 200mm f/4
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 430EX II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 6D
    Canon EOS 550D
    Zenit EM

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

Hey guys!  Wow, was away for a bit, and came back just to find out this forum is being shut down.. such a shame.  I really enjoyed it here with us all sharing photos, talking about new gear, and the related topics.  Perhaps I'll give the forum David mentioned a try one day or another.  Unfortunately, Facebook is not my place..  Thank you all for the good times, and wish you great success in your work! 

- George

• geedee, elcab18, PeterPP and 1 other like this

#17 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,168 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

About a year ago, Matt - happygrumps started his own forum, but it faded away.

What do we think about setting up our own ?

And Geedee, you don't have to tell the truth on those registration forms.  In fact, its good security to put incorrect information in there, particularly to do with DoB, which some banks use as a security check. B)

And you can create an email account on gmail or elsewhere exclusively for the forum, and, of course, for use when you need to end out those, "you've won the Nigerian lottery" emails :ph34r:

• geedee and PeterPP like this

#18 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

I assumed the same sort of thing would be at northrup.photo but maybe not, thanks for all of your help and comments over the last few years!

Hopefully we can stay connected.

I find it strange that the site is working now but for the last 5 days or so didn't (at least for me).

My email is [email protected]

• geedee likes this

#19 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Flashes:None, but getting one soon.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

So long everybody. I have had a great time here. I have been quiet lately because of a serious medical issue that happened to me in mid-December, but I still followed the forum regularly while recovering. I will miss the friendliness and professionalism so evident here. I have no interest in Facebook, so this is it for me. Boo hiss to the Northrups for not supporting something we paid for and supported by buying their book. Would have been nice if they would have come here and said a word or two about their decision. I guess it is all FB and YouTube for them now.

Best regards to all I have made friends with,

Bob

www.rdbimages.net

• geedee and PeterPP like this

#20 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f.5.6E ED VR
    Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

I asked Justin to reopen the site for a week or so, so that we could all connect one last time and exchange emails. He worked it out, but I expect it’ll be shut down for good in a few days.
Thanks guys for the suggestions of alternative forums. Here’s one more at PhotographyLife.combi stumbled upon which seems on the small side like this one
https://photographyl...com/discussions
I hope to see you at one or more of them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users