• Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

Got myself out and about in the snow and cut down on my kit to save weight while tramping across the fields, no tripod or filters etc.

I was really surprised to find the Broom beginning to flower and in looking for something to frame up and capture the colour, I was drawn in ever closer to this little scene, kicking myself that I neither had my tripod or extension tubes but it was so nice I gave it a go, and thought I would post it anyway...

CC welcomed as ever.

F11   1/50th   ISO 100  +1.7EV (set up for snow.. Duh!) Nikkor 14-24 [email protected] 24mm matrix/pattern metering  basic PP applied to the RAW file  and converted to JPEG for posting here.  

Attached Files

#2 TrailEx

TrailEx

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Lenses:Canon 24-70 F/4
    Canon 100-400 F/4.5-5.6 IS II
    Rokinon 24 F/1.4
    Rokinon 14 F/2.8
    Laowa 60mm F/2.8 2X Macro
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5D Mark IV
    Canon 6D

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Pretty surprising to see blossoms this early in the year. Nice juxtaposition of the flowers with the ice. I would recommend always carrying an extension tube with you if you like macro since they're light, but at the same time it is pretty hard to do macro work without a tripod even if there is good light.

Up north, we've been getting blossoms of a different sort...

Attached Files

• geedee likes this

#3 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f.5.6E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Geedee, I like the color contrast of the flower and ice, and the light is really nice. The light sparkles in the ice. Really cool image.
And, great suggestion to keep extension tubes handy, TrailEx
  • geedee likes this

#4 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the response guys... TrailEx, being at circa 55degN and in a maritime climatic zone equates to us often having experienced Winters without as much as a frost in some recent years, though rain is no stranger.. I guess the plant-life gets kinda confused. 

Yup no doubt ext tubes weigh next to nothing but it is also space that is at a premium on occasion, though you are correct as this time out, that was not the case.. !  I had not been to this spot before though given the topography causes a lot of water to drain through this particular valley and that cattle had been grazing on it until very recently, I knew there was a chance of  ending up to my knee through the snow and into the mud below, thus wanted to minimise the weight I was carrying...

I like those ice crystals TrailEx... The temps hereabouts rarely get low enough and for long enough for such phenomena..

Thanks Mark, it was such a surprise to see a whole load of Broom trying to flower. I had hung around for a while watching the clouds in the hope that part of the valley side might be well lit just as the sun was setting.... I was lucky in that respect, though I suspect the 14-24 is far more suited to wide vistas than close up attempts..(-:

While the blooms initially attracted me I found the closer I looked the more I found of interest that might have produced something interesting in Macro like this little icicle which was part of my initial post  One advantage of the D800 is that you can crop in pretty close, both pics are crops from a considerably larger file.. I suspect any issues are more down to my shaky hands than anything else..?    

Attached Files

#5 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Flashes:None, but getting one soon.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

Warms my heart and makes me think of the coming spring on these cold days. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

• geedee likes this

#6 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3