Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

I decided the time was ripe to upgrade my camera, the Fujifilm X-T1, which I've been using for the past couple of years.  I've loved this camera and it was my first, but felt that since it has been almost two years since the X-T2 was released, I might be able to get a good deal on a used one.  But still, how to pay for it?  I knew I could get some money for my X-T1 and I also had a Fujinon 14mm f/2.8, which is a very good lens but had become redundant since I also have a Rokinon 12mm f/2.  So I had my old camera and one lens to sell.  But then I thought about my Fujinon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 and decided that it wasn't quite right for me.  I never shoot long and the image quality, while very good, isn't as sharp as I might like.  Fuji has recently released a spectacular new lens, the16-55mm  f/2.8, which I thought would be perfect.  It is pricey and a bit of a tank by Fuji standards but it has everything going for it for landscape capture - excellent for low light, a nice spread of focal lengths, weather resistant and spectacular optics.  So then I decided to also sell my 18-135mm as well as my old photo editing monitor ( no longer needed since I got the iMac) and bought the 16-55mm.  I sold everything on Kijiji in less than two weeks for the prices I was asking as well as getting a great price on the 16-55mm.  Then, just when I was despairing of finding a good used X-T2, a used one came up a couple of days ago on B&H for an excellent price and now I'm all set.  A whole new kit, including the terrific little 35mm f/2 prime that I picked up last September, also on Kijiji, and I'm all set for Mardi Gras week in New Orleans!!  It will be my first crack at doing some street photography.  This will definitely be one to cross off my bucket list.

Buying used is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.  Cameras depreciate so rapidly, why pay for it when there are so many used models in near new condition constantly available.  As for lenses, you know what they say, "You date your camera but you marry your lenses."  A good lens will always be a good lens so buying them used makes so much sense.  Anyway, thought I'd share my wheeling and dealing experience.

• geedee, elcab18 and John W like this

#2 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

Sweet

#3 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,121 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:26 AM

Epic, Kerry :)

You play a good game !

Looking forward to your Mardi Gras work.

I believe we have an ex resident of N'wlans in the group, but he's probably under 20 feet of snow at the moment....

#4 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

I went to school at Tulane and spend a good deal of time south of New Orleans fishing. Go to Domilise's on Annunciation St and order a Shrimp Po Boy. It is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. It is a dive but I have never taken anyone there that did not enjoy it. I usually go there straight from the airport and will be in N O in a couple of weeks touring Tulane with my daughter. PM for a list of good eats if you are interested. College tour Tulane 2015:

Attached Files

#5 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

I went to school at Tulane and spend a good deal of time south of New Orleans fishing. Go to Domilise's on Annunciation St and order a Shrimp Po Boy. It is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere, it is a dive but I have never taken anyone there that did not enjoy it. PM for a list of good eats if you are interested. College tour Tulane last year:

My wife and I are meeting up and staying with an old friend who, though she lives in Seattle now, was born and raised in Nola.  We were just talking about Domilise's as the first place we go.  She's got me cranked up about po boys and king cake.  I've got my costume all ready and I'm so looking forward to an incredible adventure.

#6 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB, Canada
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

I've spent the last 20+ years in New Orleans.  You are in for a photographic treat!!  Get to Jackson Square as the street performers will be out in full regalia.  There are way too many great restaurants to visit, but I have a dear friend that owns a restaurant on Royal St. called 801 Royal.  It's a po'boy, very casual place.  Their fried shrimp po'boy is terrific with more shrimp than the bread can handle and that's a good thing considering how fresh shrimp are in New Orleans.

I envy you as I really do miss the place.  If you go to 801, Mary is the owner.  If she's not there, leave a message that her racquet stringer from Mandeville sent you.  You won't need my name, I strung her racquets for a lot of years.

And if you do shoot some of the street performers, leave them a couple bucks in their tip box.  They do work hard at their craft and have earned my respect.

WPazNUk.jpg

David

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#7 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

I've spent the last 20+ years in New Orleans.  You are in for a photographic treat!!  Get to Jackson Square as the street performers will be out in full regalia.  There are way too many great restaurants to visit, but I have a dear friend that owns a restaurant on Royal St. called 801 Royal.  It's a po'boy, very casual place.  Their fried shrimp po'boy is terrific with more shrimp than the bread can handle and that's a good thing considering how fresh shrimp are in New Orleans.

I envy you as I really do miss the place.  If you go to 801, Mary is the owner.  If she's not there, leave a message that her racquet stringer from Mandeville sent you.  You won't need my name, I strung her racquets for a lot of years.

And if you do shoot some of the street performers, leave them a couple bucks in their tip box.  They do work hard at their craft and have earned my respect.

WPazNUk.jpg

David

Now you've got me really cranked up!  I will indeed, check out Jackson Square.  Great shot, by the way.

#8 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB, Canada
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

These guys are the perfect example why I have so much respect for the street performers.  This was taken around noon in the summer, around 90° and that famous Gulf south humidity.  I've shot the gold colored guy several times.  The last time just before I left the area, I stopped and talked to him for a couple of minutes.  Nice guy! 

David

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users