Nikon Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR ED DX
    Nikon AF‑S DX Nikkor 18‑55mm f/3.5‑5.6G VR
    Bogen Manfrotto 3001 Tripod with Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2 XPRO Ball Head
  • Flashes:None
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D3100
    Nikon D5500
    iPhone 7 Plus

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

On the morning of the last day of 2017, a bit of a dreary, overcast day, I grabbed this shot of the lighthouse at the Santa Cruz Marina. There was a breeze, so the clouds were moving, and I wanted to capture that motion. During the time I was there (maybe 30 minutes), lots of people walking their dogs, running, or just out for a walk came by, greeted me, and a couple asked me about the pictures I was taking. A very pleasant (if a bit chilly) morning!

Settings: 18mm F/5 ISO100 83sec with a 10-stop ND filter.

Constructive criticism welcome!

Attached Files

• Reciprocityrules likes this

#2 David_MC

David_MC

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

Very nice shot.  The light suits the mood very well.  My only nitpick is that the horizon seems off level.  A counter-clockwise twist should take care of that.

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Great subject for the ten stop, it worked out well....Nice work, was the scene as blue as it appears, may just be down to my old lap top screen..

#4 pthomsen

pthomsen

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationHughson, CA
  • Lenses:Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art
    Nikon D5500
    iPhone 7 Plus

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:38 AM

Very nice shot.  The light suits the mood very well.  My only nitpick is that the horizon seems off level.  A counter-clockwise twist should take care of that.

I did try to level it, but I think I accidentally undid it. Thanks for the catch.

Great subject for the ten stop, it worked out well....Nice work, was the scene as blue as it appears, may just be down to my old lap top screen..

It was pretty blue... Ocean, clouds, and very little direct sunlight. I did push the temperature up quite a bit in Lightroom, since my ND filter has a blue cast, but the scene was quite blue to begin with.

• geedee likes this

#5 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f.5.6E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

Pretty cool. It’s a weird thing about these long exposures, no people showing in the image when there were many. I like the composition.

#6 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Very nice photo.  I wouldn't have been able to get 83 seconds without my tripod blowing over...

#7 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

A very nice image.  The colours are lovely.  But since you are asking for CC there are a couple of things that I'd suggest.  First, the horizon is tilting to the right so I'd straighten that.  But my biggest problem with the image is the composition.  Having the lighthouse more or less bullseye centre doesn't work for me and makes the image less dynamic and interesting.  I'd be inclined to experiment - get your camera down lower or up higher, move to the left or the right and generally play with the perspective so that it is less obvious.  Let's face it, there are millions of images of lighthouses with leading lines.  The challenge is to find a perspective that sheds new light on an old theme.  You are very lucky to have such beautiful setting right in your neighbourhood, so keep shooting.

#8 pthomsen

pthomsen

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationHughson, CA
  • Lenses:Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art
    Nikon D5500
    iPhone 7 Plus

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Pretty cool. It’s a weird thing about these long exposures, no people showing in the image when there were many. I like the composition.

There are 7 or 8 other exposures with people in them, ghosting around, or even standing still. Those didn't have the same light, with the 'hole in the clouds' right behind the lighthouse. And for whatever reason, this one didn't have anyone walking by during the exposure.

Very nice photo.  I wouldn't have been able to get 83 seconds without my tripod blowing over...

It was really not too windy, so I was lucky there. I've had issues in the past, when it was windy, with small droplets of ocean water hitting the filter/lens. For short exposures that's not a problem, but when you're exposing for 1min+, those droplets become very visible in the image. Lots of wiping between shots...

A very nice image.  The colours are lovely.  But since you are asking for CC there are a couple of things that I'd suggest.  First, the horizon is tilting to the right so I'd straighten that.  But my biggest problem with the image is the composition.  Having the lighthouse more or less bullseye centre doesn't work for me and makes the image less dynamic and interesting.  I'd be inclined to experiment - get your camera down lower or up higher, move to the left or the right and generally play with the perspective so that it is less obvious.  Let's face it, there are millions of images of lighthouses with leading lines.  The challenge is to find a perspective that sheds new light on an old theme.  You are very lucky to have such beautiful setting right in your neighbourhood, so keep shooting.

Yup. The straightening was a dumb editing mistake, which I have corrected.

Your point about the composition is very well taken. I fall victim to seeing things with blinders on, and not trying more things with perspective/composition. When I'm in the location, taking the shots, I (oddly, perhaps) feel a sense of urgency to 'get the shot', and don't give myself the time to find a more interesting composition. Your comment has encouraged me to to slow down, when I'm out, to find the interesting perspectives on these locations.

Thank you all so much for the feedback!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users