• Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

I noticed the high clouds this morning when I took the dog out and knew there was a good chance for a decent sunrise today.  I drove to Lake Hefner's western shore to catch the sunrise.  When I pulled onto the gravel lakeside road I noticed that the shallow parts of the lake where still frozen and there was a good amount of ice on the shoreline.  I set up my camera and attached my 6 stop ND filter and snapped the first pic.

1) Canon 7D, EF-S 10-18mm STM @ 10mm & f/10, ISO 100, 10s, 6 stop ND.

As the sun started to peak over the horizon I noticed how the light was interacting with the shoreline ice so I got down low and waited for the sun to peak over the trees.  This image was my first attempt at manually blending two exposures, one for the sky and one for the foreground.  Both image had a little split toning done to them to add just a little more magenta to the shadows.

2) Canon 7D, EF-S 10-18mm STM @ 11mm & f/10, ISO 100, 2 Blended Exposures, 6 stop ND.

#2 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

Very nice David.  I find the second shot the more interesting of the two for the reasons you stated.  I find the magenta cast a bit too strong.  Ideally, I'd like to see it added mostly to the foamy highlights and bring up the yellow in other areas - that, however, would require some masking.  The blend looks good and although the sunlight is still a bit blown out, that might be an aesthetic choice you're making.

Just a comment on the first image.  Personally, I'd crop out the foam altogether.  Then you'd have the "s" curve in the sand as your leading line and as an added  bonus, following the rule of thirds (or pretty close.)

#3 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f.5.6E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Great planning, awareness of the light and light to come, and decision-making David. Like Kerry, the 2nd is my favorite for the additional light features, and the first might be simplified, but both are really pretty

#4 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:01 AM

First one works best for ME, I enjoyed you sharing your thinking processes relative to impending sunrise and thoughts of how and where best to frame it in-camera... Well done indeed.

#5 David_MC

David_MC

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

Very nice David.  I find the second shot the more interesting of the two for the reasons you stated.  I find the magenta cast a bit too strong.  Ideally, I'd like to see it added mostly to the foamy highlights and bring up the yellow in other areas - that, however, would require some masking.  The blend looks good and although the sunlight is still a bit blown out, that might be an aesthetic choice you're making.

Just a comment on the first image.  Personally, I'd crop out the foam altogether.  Then you'd have the "s" curve in the sand as your leading line and as an added  bonus, following the rule of thirds (or pretty close.)

Thank you Kerry. I cropped the first one down a bit.

39525417311_fb130f091f_b.jpgIMG_9461-2 by David Covarrubias, on Flickr

Great planning, awareness of the light and light to come, and decision-making David. Like Kerry, the 2nd is my favorite for the additional light features, and the first might be simplified, but both are really pretty

Thank you Mark.

First one works best for ME, I enjoyed you sharing your thinking processes relative to impending sunrise and thoughts of how and where best to frame it in-camera... Well done indeed.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users