Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:25 PM

This is a video from David DuChemin who is becoming one of my favourite photography teachers.  In this short video David talks about a few things that I guess Tony touched on in that piece he did on getting folks to stop asking about EXIF data.  David is touching on some similar material.  One of his points is that when we ask what camera, setting, lens or post processing technique was used, we're asking the wrong questions.  Anyway I recommend taking the ten minutes and giving a listen.

• elcab18 and PeterPP like this

#2 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f.5.6E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for posting this Kerry. An inspiring reminder to get out and practice this art and craft we enjoy so much, and learn from all our photographic choices, whatever they are.
This forum, as has been said many times, is a safe and welcome place to post the results of our photography choices, and learn from each other.
Thanks.

#3 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:59 AM

Right on the button, Kerry.

Thanks

#4 PeterPP

PeterPP

Wild & Crazy guy from Canada

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
    Canon EF 24-105 f/4L
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4L
    Canon EFs 10-18 stm
    Canon EFs 24 f/2.8 stm
    Sigma EX 120-300 f/2.8
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:Made by Sigma, Yongnuo, Vivitar, White-Lightning, Alien-Bee
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS 20d
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    Sony NEX 5r
    GoPro hero2

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:15 AM

I liked David when I attended one of the seminars he gave a few years ago.
Even bought his Visionmongers book. Made it to page 10 or 11 several times now, but keep dozing off :unsure:
One of these days I'll get past the intro and to the good part of the book

(nothing wrong with the book, more an age thing, anytime I sit down to read or watch anything I seem to doze off now)

Peter

#5 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Good information. TFS

#6 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,628 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

Interesting topic and I like his presentation style, though still prefer to have settings/lens information for pics posted, it is INFORMATION and as such can be of value to my learning process though perhaps less so if one has subjected the posted image to all sorts of PP procedures after which I suspect some settings may well become irrelevant..

Just thinking in type. 

#7 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

The part about sharing your work, viewing others images and getting feedback hits home for me. It is hard, especially at first, but it is only by sharing your images that you get the feedback from others who know more and or from another set of eyes that are not "color Blind". For example: I captured an image of a Red Fox the other day and was so happy with it that I did not look at my pp objectively. Here is the feedback I got on another site that 20 20 I think was spot on and will be helpful to me going forward. 

"A nice sighting, especially when it's not expected. I know you will enjoy the 850, it's a real cracker of a camera body and is a great rival to the D5, and I think better too. Good you kept the SS high which you needed, but for me you needed more DoF ie f/6.3 too, don't be afraid to push the ISO. I like the framing although I can see it with a little less at the foot, or a 16x10 where you loose some of the green above and space below. I like the raised paw and room for him to run into, great to have the face clear of the grasses, nicely timed. Just watch the Black in the legs, it's a fraction choked and some may feel you can reduce the Blue too."

[/url]850_2674NIpss by John Whaley, on Flickr">http://27119159839_fcfb47d62d_b.jpg850_2674NIpss by John Whaley, on Flickr

#8 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

The part about sharing your work, viewing others images and getting feedback hits home for me. It is hard, especially at first, but it is only by sharing your images that you get the feedback from others who know more and or from another set of eyes that are not "color Blind". I captured an image of a Red Fox the other day and was so happy with it that I did not look at my pp objectively. Here is the feedback I got on another site that 20 20 I think was spot on and will be helpful to me going forward. 

I have found DuChemin's observations about getting feedback very helpful.  In his book "Soul of the Camera" he also talked about the danger of getting too much feedback.  By that he meant going onto Reddit, Twitter, Instagram and the host of social media sites out there and getting feedback from all sorts of people who have no idea who we are or what we are aspiring to do.  I mean everyone has an opinion  but, in the end, so what.  There is the danger, as well, of our ego drive to accumulate "likes" and the disillusionment that follows  when they are not forthcoming.  The advice I did take from him that has proven to be most valuable was his recommendation to find someone I am connected to who knows me and understands my aesthetic aspirations, my passion and engage them for feedback.  I have a friend who is an artist, though only peripherally a photographer.  But I trust his aesthetic taste and his awareness of my own.  The experience has been fantastic.  He was delighted, even honoured that I would ask him for that favour and has really taken the time to consider my photographs.  His feedback in every case has been so valuable in helping me go deeper into the basic questions around what I am trying to do and the story I'm trying to tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users