• Lenses:Canon 24-70 F/4
    Canon 100-400 F/4.5-5.6 IS II
    Rokinon 24 F/1.4
    Rokinon 14 F/2.8
    Laowa 60mm F/2.8 2X Macro
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5D Mark IV
    Canon 6D

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Finally started getting some opportunities to explore the area up here in the great north. I'm starting out on the easy terrain, visiting the valley boreal forest rather than the mountainous alpine terrain. I will say, evergreen boreal forests are much more charming than the desolate winter forests in the Midwest. I lucked out a little bit with the light, as I was expecting full overcast; instead I got some lovely shades of blue. I'm not entirely satisfied with my processing of the snowscapes however, I feel like the snow is still a little too dark even though I shot at +2/3 EV and boosted exposure an extra half stop in post... anyone have some experience with editing snow scenes?

Attached Files

#2 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f.5.6E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:01 AM

The 2nd one is beautiful. The fire and mid ground snow mounds are really interesting and eye-catching. And the blue sky is great contrast.

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:27 AM

I like the first as it has the leading line of the road my eye follows that to the place where the road meets the sky and then I am drawn upward to look at the detail in the clouds.... has there been a person or vehicle in the distance I suspect that might have blocked my journey somewhat...?  

The second one seems to be not much more than trees and snow but as such a good record of the location/weather.

Sorry don`t have much in the way of PP skills at this time.  Thanks for sharing these pics.... Watch out for the bears..!!

#4 David_MC

David_MC

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

Both images are great.  Looks mighty cold up there.

#5 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:20 PM

Enjoyed viewing the images but don't have a pp solution for you. Guessing youtube does. Did you try boostings the whites until blowout? Hold down the alt key while you boost the whites until you see them blow out on the screen. You could probably get away with higher numbers here as I don't think there is much detail in the snow. The snow does look a bit on the grey side. TFS.

Setting whites and blacks in lightroom:

https://layersmagazi...lack-point.html

#6 TrailEx

TrailEx

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
    Rokinon 24 F/1.4
    Rokinon 14 F/2.8
    Canon 6D

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

It was actually pretty warm that day, around 15 degrees F. It was below zero the entire week prior to that day.

John, I tried boosting the whites globally already, but the sky blows out way before the snow does, so I guess I'll have to try a graduated filter adjustment.

#7 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 14mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
    Fujinon 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

It was actually pretty warm that day, around 15 degrees F. It was below zero the entire week prior to that day.

John, I tried boosting the whites globally already, but the sky blows out way before the snow does, so I guess I'll have to try a graduated filter adjustment.

I suspect that to do what you'd like to do with these images, particularly the second one (which, by the way, I really like) you need to be in Photoshop rather than Lightroom.  I believe that the solution to the problem you're having with processing the image is that it isn't about brightening but about contrast.  And further, it isn't about contrast between the darks and lights but between the mid-tone darks and the mid-tone lights.  The whole snow field is made up of mid-tones and Lightroom just doesn't have the capacity for that kind of selectivity.  This is where luminosity masks really shine and would give pop to the image without doing weird things to the tonal balance.  What I like so much about the image is the softness and quietness that it evokes.  By increasing the contrast in the mid-tones you wouldn't lose that since you wouldn't be touching the darkest darks in the trees or brightest brights in the sky.  Instead you'd be accenting the soft rolling of the drifts.  You could try dodging and burning in and around the drifts, that might get you some of the effect you're after.  But again, Lightroom doesn't really have the capability to selectively mask so the D&B process would be difficult in your image.  Here's a D&B video that might give you some ideas: http://www.techradar...nd-burn-1327716

On another note, my wife and I spend a month each summer paddling in the Boreal of Northwestern Ontario.  Where abouts are you located?

• geedee likes this

#8 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

Very nice.  I like 'em both.

As Kerry said, PS is your friend.

In LR you can use an adjustment brush (turn on Show selected mask overlay - checkbox bottom of screen) to mask out the sky say, and apply an exposure or shadow adjustment.

#9 TrailEx

TrailEx

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
    Rokinon 24 F/1.4
    Rokinon 14 F/2.8
    Canon 6D

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:03 PM

Kerry, I'm living in Fairbanks, Alaska now. Lots of trees, mountains, snow, and moose.

I have a luminosity mask plug-in for photoshop already, but I still haven't tried it out. Guess I better figure out how to use it!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users