• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iamarobot

iamarobot

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRacine, Wisconsin, United States
  • Lenses:18-105mm Nikkor f/3.5-5.6G<br />18-250mm Signma F3.5-6.3<br />50mm f/1.8D lens
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D90

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Does anyone use Capture NX2?

I have been using it for years, I keep debating if I should move to LR.

From what I understand Nikon doesn't plan to continue to develop Capture NX2.

Does anyone have any other information or opinions of LR versus Capture NX2?

-Jen

#2 Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Lenses:Samyang 14mm 2.8
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Samsung NX1000
    Samsung NX3000

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

I don't know, but lightrooms' ability reduce highlights, and reduce selectively, is unique (in how effectively it does it compared to other free software i've used). Also the clarity function is, as well as sharpness masking, noise reduction, and the ability to use adjustment brushes...all in raw.  I wouldn't get anything from before 2012, because the process is different from before then, and the new version is better. You can get a free 30 day trial.

• iamarobot likes this

#3 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
    AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Dave is right. Get the LR trial and see what you think.. NX2 is a great program and its unfortunate Nikon is not managing it going forward. There is a lot of duplication in these 2 programs so you may not think LR is necessary at all. Good luck!

• iamarobot likes this

#4 MrEye4get

MrEye4get

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOutside Bangkok, Thailand
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
  • Flashes:None
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D5200

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

It sort of boils down to cost v.s. features doesn't it? 

Option one:  Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 - $180.00, Upgrade $70.00 and Nikon Capture NX 2  $180.00, Upgrade $102.00

Option two:  Adobe LightRoom and PhotoShop - $9.99 a month subscription.  Free updates!

Nikon is notorious for poor customer support, limited software and apps.  Adobe is the industry leader for digital image editing. 

#5 Ticojon

Ticojon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Lenses:Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM, Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon, Nikon 85mm f/1.8G, Nikon 50mm f/1.8G, Nikon 35mm f/1.8G
  • Flashes:Nikon SB300 Speedlight
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100, Nikon D5300

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

I like the simplicity of Capture NX 2.  I messed around with lightroom and picasa; I don't like how those try to manage your library.  Picasa is pretty dumb down and lightroom is pretty complex.  Picasa also struggles with Nikon raw files.  I'm leaning towards NX 2 but what's making it difficult for me is the price.

#6 dmossfritch

dmossfritch

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationrural Western Washington
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
    AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D
    AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
    AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
    AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IFED
  • Flashes:On camera only
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon d7000
    Nikon d7200

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

Whether you stay with Capture NX2 will depend upon if you intend adding a new Nikon camera. Nikon will not be updating this software, so reading the NEF file of a new camera by Capture NX2 won't be possible.

Nikon's Capture NX-D is the replacement software for Capture NX-2, however this 'updated' software does not have Nik software's U-Point technology included.

Might I suggest you look at what you want to accomplish with a photo editing software before switching? Are you looking for the output (books, slideshows, web, etc) included with Lightroom, or only the post processing? If the latter, there are other software that offers non-destructive processing, for example Corel's Aftershot Pro 2.

Oh, another point to remember is whether you use Nikon's in-camera picture control processing. If you do use picture control and were to switch to Lightroom, you would need to create presets in Lightroom to emulate the in-camera picture controls used by your Nikon camera to get the same results you would see in Capture NX2.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Capture NX2, post processing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users