2 replies to this topic

#1 kensor

kensor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

Hello everyone:

I just joined this forum in search of information and experiences about the Canon 80D camera, lenses, and related gear. The topic title reflects my frustration with the search engine's inability to return a three-character string such as 80D.

At present, my Canon experience is limited to a film-using model A-1 with an f1.4 50mm lens, and it has been a while since it was out of its case. I am considering purchasing a Canon 80D body, and will consider lenses either as in a kit, or separately, as value and performance may indicate.

I have received Tony's box of books and videos, and have supplemented them with a few other 80D-specific books by well-known authors. This is not to imply that I have my  heart set on an 80D exclusively, but its value-to-performance ratio appears favorable compared with other DSLRs. Nor have I ruled-out a mirror-less body, but the larger unit appears marginally advantageous.

So, if you have comments on the merits or demerits of the Canon 80D, whether or not they rise to a deal-maker or breaker level for a purchase decision, I am interested to read them. Comparisons with other gear, either available or to be announced imminently, are welcome.

#2 David_MC

David_MC

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

As a first DSLR you could do a whole lot worse than the 80D.  It is a very popular camera and those that I know that own one love it to bits.  It is probably Canon's best APS-C SLR to date thanks in large part to its new sensor that gives it improved dynamic range and better High ISO noise performance.  It is not a very bulky camera in my opinion (I shoot a 7D so what do I know  :lol: ), it's not mirror less small by any means but that is not a bad thing if you have large hands.  If you want images taken with it then go to flickr and search for Canon 80D.  

#3 cuda

cuda

Esteemed Community Contributor

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationPlainfield,IL
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS Series II
    Canon 11-24 f4.0 L
    Canon 16-35 f2.8 L Series II
    Canon 50 f1.4
    Canon 24-70 f2.8 L Series II
    Canon 100-400 f4.5/5.6 L Series II
    Canon 1.4 T/C Series III
    Canon 2X T/C Series III
    Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro
    Canon 17mm f4.0 L Tilt and Shift
    Canon 35mm f1.4 L Series II
  • Flashes:Canon 600 EX-RT x4
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DSR
    Canon 5D Mark IV
    Canon 1DX Mark II

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

I would never purchase a camera based on books or articles. Know your budget, then go to a camera store find several different manufacturers at the same price point and find which one fits better in your hands. Most of the main manufacturers have quality cameras and only mainly differ in menu systems. If possible rent the camera for a few days to a week and see how it works. Local camera stores in my area will even apply the rental charges to the purchase price when you decide if that's the camera for you. Good luck.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users