Photo

Acdsee Photo Editing Software

editing software acdee software photoshop alternative lightroom alternative post processing editor

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Subhasis

Subhasis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikon 70-300 vr 4.5-5.6
  • Flashes:SB500
  • Camera Body or Bodies:D750

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

Hi All,

Can anyone please suggest about ACDsee Ultimate? Is it worth buying? I think its currently on sale for $70

#2 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 18-105mm
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm
  • Flashes:Nikon SB-600
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D90

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

I am trying it out now, I think it's OK. It seems user friendly enough and portions are non destructive to the original photo. Ultimate 11 is supposed to be coming out soon which is probably why it is on sale.

I haven't tried it's file management portion, but for actual photo manipulation it has a lot of easy to use tools. It has layers in it for some additional enhancements like merging photos.

They have a 30 day money back guarantee I believe, you can always try it and if you don't like it get your money back.

#3 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

I see they have this software on sale until August 7th ... IMO - trial it for a week or so and buy it if you like it. I think for an almost all inclusive program it is a great price!

#4 Subhasis

Subhasis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, i am trying it out. It looks good but i faced few drawback or limitations. Like it does not show history like light room. I had to save the changes so that i can go back to a particular point.
In Develop mode after doing some changes by mistake if u press escape all the changes will be reverted without asking for any confirmation. Not sure from setting this can be changed or not.
But obviously its much cheaper than Photoshop cc. So i think these are acceptable.
I wish one lisence would cover both windows and mac version. But the don't have any mac version 🙁

#5 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

I would not use any software that is not 100% non-destructive to the original photo. I use ON1 Photo Raw 2017. Reasonable price and 100% non-destructive. All the power of Lightroom plus it handles layers (which Lightroom does not.) Doesn't require cataloging. Very good support and plenty of training materials.

Bob

#6 Subhasis

Subhasis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I will look at it as well.

#7 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

ON1 Photo RAW is glitchy which is why I didn't mention it; I REALLY like it a lot when it works. ACDSee is just OK to me when compared to RAW but ACDSee is more stable at the moment. I do like the Light EQ and pixel targeting that ACDSee has but when RAW works everything can be non destructive even in layers - just make them smart.

As far as workflow - every program is going to be different. I'm not sure if ON1 RAW has a history area (never looked as I didn't use it) but it is so easy to go to each item you did  and adjust even in layers. It will convert the raw file to PSD when you you go into layers and lock the previous raw adjustments in. They offer a 30 day trial as well so no loss. Just my opinion but when it works it is the best program out there; that being said I did stop using it because it is glitchy.

Ultimate 11 is coming out soon as is Luminar so if they can match the power of ON1 it will be interesting. 

#8 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Vinny,

Do you have a graphics card with at least 1MB of RAM? ON1 Photo RAW has moved much of the processing to the video card. I have not had any problems with stability with Photo RAW.

Bob

#9 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

Yes, I have a Nvidia GT730 with 2 GB of memory. It glitches in a few areas and not all the time. A few people on a RAW users FB page complain about it and some have zero problems. I had put a few trouble tickets in and they tried to repair the problem globally but even if they fixed one thing another would pop up. I was living with the glitches but it got to the point of I shouldn't have to live with something I can't rely on.

Right now RAW won't open if my computer is on for any length of time but if I reboot it will work - no other program does that. Both RAW and 10.5 won't open a TIFF or JPEG from my scanner (I suspect they share some parts of the program) where every other program I have does and it worked the day before, things that should be aligned in layers are not and other small and big glitches.

I am really hoping they get it working 100% for everyone but I am looking for a go to program. With 1 new program and 1 updated program  coming out in a very short time maybe they will raise the bar and be close to what RAW should be. I think ACDSee has potential but like you said - it is not non destructive.

#10 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

Vinny,

I have the save video card. My apologies for my earlier post where I mentioned 1 MB of video RAM. I don't know what I was thinking. 1 GB would be the absolute minimum to run ON1 Photo 2017. Hopefully ON1 will fix the trouble some people have. I think it is a good program. I fully agree that if the program doesn't work all the time it is not worth using.

Bob

#11 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

I have to backtrack a bit on my ON1 Photo RAW recommendation...

I just downloaded the new 2017.6 version and now I have crashes and low memory warnings. Did not have this in version 2017.5. My hardware more than meets their requirements.

I sent ON1 an email and they made a few suggestions, but no joy. I am quite disappointed as it does not seem stable enough to use.

Guess I will start looking at ASDSee and maybe some others.

Any more ideas out there? Thanks.

Bob

Edited by rdb images, 23 August 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#12 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

Just my thoughts ... 

ACDSee is coming out in Sept with their new version. I liked their Ultimate 10 but didn't like it's non destructiveness. It has some powerful tools like pixel targeting but you (we) have to live with it's destructive nature. I also found it not as friendly as RAW in making adjustments like selecting new areas after the fact.

Luminar has a large following as well but with it in beta - can't really judge. At this point it is not fully functional so I am waiting to see what it's like when it is.

Tried the Corel program (Paint Shop Pro?) and it was just horrible to me ... didn't last a day on my computer.

I did try another well know program (name escapes me) and it lasted 2 days on my computer.

I didn't try Topaz - i's free but relies on Topaz plug ins and didn't try Capture one - I have read it blows all other software away in raw development but it is expensive and I can't justify the expense.

I own DXO OpticsPro 11 and it is a powerful program but it doesn't do much other than basic raw adjustments. It has a great denoise program and all of my camera/lens combos are seen and automatically adjusted. I have it paired up with their Viewpoint 3 and it can do some manipulation on perspective. I will say that it can be slow to output so it is not for those who want quick.

Affinity Photo is interesting but it is not up to the same power as PS. I just posted some butterfly photos and all I did was use Affinity to sharpen using a certain technique and for some reason the web photos came out drab (looked OK on my files on the computer) but output from ON1 10 the photos came out OK - so output problem?

Since I'm not a professional, you can take what I said with a grain of salt. As an end user, I am comparing it to ON1 RAW and they certainly are different. I own LR 3.6 and PS CS5 but am really looking for a all in one program to do most of what I need.

#13 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Good info. You have been around the block a few times!

I have another email into ON1 to let them know their suggestions with my 2017.6 version issues did not improve anything. We will see what is next!

Regarding ACDSee, I looked at their intro video and the nice lady said the Develop and Edit tools are non-destructive.

https://www.acdsee.c...video-tutorials

Can you expand on your statement about it being destructive with RAW editing? I think ACDSee could be a contender if ON1 does not work out, but I do want a non-destructive RAW editor. Sometimes I like to take a second crack at a photo after a few days or weeks or months.

Quite a conundrum we find ourselves in, eh?

Thanks,

Bob

#14 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

FYI - I asked ACDSee if their Ultimate and Pro products are COMPLETELY non-destructive to RAW images and their answer is YES. So, this may be a viable product. I am going to search their forums to see what comments people have.

Bob

#15 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Bob,

I think they are stretching the truth a little especially when you are used to ON1.

The truth as I think I know as I only had a 30 day trial - when you are finished with developing you need to press done to save the raw file with the adjustments, I don't think there are any effects and certainly no local adjustments. RAW automatically saves it when you go into Layers. Now once in Layers in ACDSee there are 2 areas - the left which is a vertical column and bottom right in which they are clumped together. The left side houses the more powerful adjustments such as pixel targeting and light EQ - these are destructive I believe and in order to redo anything you need to destroy that layer, the right side is non destructive.

As I was told by a user - for the left side all you need to do is to copy the layers and add whatever you want to do with it (say darken something and lighten something else) so make a layer, darken the object, copy the layer and lighten the other object on the copied layer. And then you can copy the layer and do whatever - that's how it is somewhat non destructive. It will save the layers if you save as an ACDSee file and they are editable in that they are available. The right side is more of a "smart" layer in that you can adjust things after the fact. Honestly I had issues with using the right side as it would only take a brush selection before I selected the action. After I had selected it I could not add or subtract from it. Maybe my install was messed up but I was not impressed by how it was working.

So if you developed and saved the image - you can start from there into edit again. You can reset all the developing you did and start from scratch. If you want to change an edit - you may or may not have to get rid of that layer or layers. I played around with it and unfortunately I like how we can do things in RAW. Although Layers in itself was destructive in RAW - develop adjustments baked into photo when moving to layers and if you made the layers "smart" they are fully adjustable as a PSD. For ON1 - all you need to do is go to the raw file and hit reset and you can start from scratch (same as ACDSee) or you can start a new process into Layers (same as ACDSee). But in ON1 you can go to one of the smart layers and adjust it, delete it or add to it. Maybe it's my problem vs how other software works or maybe there's so much that can be done before layers that I just got spoiled.

I suggest try it and use it with an open mind (maybe mine was closed!). They have a 30 day money back guarantee, it was on sale for $70 and their new one is coming out really soon. I do plan on trialing their new one as well.

#16 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

Bob,

Maybe their new Studio is, I was talking Ultimate 10. I would imagine that a product such as ON1 RAW might have raised the bar for other programs to do things totally non destructive.

#17 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

Bob,

I want to add that if you try it, please report back ... I am interested in your findings.

Thanks!

Vinny

#18 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

You guys seem to be obsessed with non-destructiveness. For starters, if you are going to do anything with your images, you should back them up first (in other words, work on copies in a work folder). That eliminates the whole topic of non-destructiveness, IMHO.

But more to the point, ALL raw editors are non-destructive. You CANNOT save a raw file to the same name with ANY editing software. As far as I know, the only device that can create a raw file is a camera, and it can only be read, not saved, in a computer. That is why you use EXPORT (or facilities like it) to save any changes you want to tif or jpg or whatever.

It is true that some primitive raw editors will lose the changes you made to the raw file when you close the file - i.e. when you reopen the raw file later, you will not see the changes because it doesn't create a "sidecar" file of changes. That is not good, but again, you do not have to worry about changing a raw file in an editor as far as "destructiveness."

Rich

#19 Vinny

Vinny

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Rich,

Non destructive editing is becoming the new standard. Yes, saving a file to another file is non destructive but it it is pretty nice not to have to start from scratch if you want to tweak or change your edit. As far as I know there isn't any editor out there that can change edits from a tiff or dng file - the edits are pretty much baked in.

I don't know what program(s) you use but ON1 does show the completed edits pre Layers on the raw file  but uses sidecar files to keep the edit. All that needs to be done is hit reset on the raw image you are working on and everything goes away. I think DXO is similar but at the moment I forget. If you go into Layers in ON1 it will automatically save your pre Layer edits, bake in the edits  that you did into a PSD file and you continue from there. In Layers if you make them smart they also become editable later on. No need with ON1 to duplicate your raw files, if you are done with the edits then you can either exit the photo which saves the edit or export the photo.

Personally, I like the way ON1 does it as you are not on a separate file at all, can reset what you did or just change portions of what you did. I guess this is what I think of as being totally non destructive - one file, edits show on it and at any time you can do whatever to the file and it shows the changes you just made. You can do a lot of adjustments on a photo with ON1 but bring it into Layers if need be, make them smart and you can change them as well. 

ACDSee doesn't do it this way, they use an acd file extension to be re editable and I just tried Topaz Studio and it can't be re edited. Obviously a person's workflow can be altered to compensate for a program's lack of something but for me the ON1 way of doing things is what I am measuring other software by; it's a shame the program is a little buggy which is what made me look into others. ACDSee is a strong contender vs ON1 but I don't understand why they don't make all their adjustment re editable although they apparently do have a "versions" setting that may take the place of re edit-ability.

#20 RAH1861

RAH1861

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHampton, NH
  • Lenses:Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Canon 60mm macro; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 10-18mm; Canon 24mm pancake; Canon 55-250; Tamron 70-300; Sigma 18-250; Samyang Fisheye; Samyang 16mm; Samyang 35mm; Tokina 12-24mm
  • Flashes:YongNuo YN-468 II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D; Canon 60D; Canon SL1; Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5; Panasonic Lumix LX5

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Yes, I agree that having the changes that you made earlier is an advantage, but I was just making the point that most raw editors already support this feature and I am a little puzzled that people are so impressed by it when some product has the ability. Even freeware raw editors like Rawtherapee (which I use) have this ability, as does commercial Corel AfterShot Pro (which I like, but have switched to Rawtherapee).

You are correct that Topaz Studio loses your changes, but it is brand new, free, and not really intended as a raw editor, at least at this point.

I think there is a real distinction between image editors and raw editors. Most vendors have one product of each type. For example, Adobe has Photoshop and Lightroom,  Corel has PaintShop Pro (which I use) and Aftershot Pro, the open source community has Gimp and Rawtherapee. Generally speaking, raw editors save your changes for use later (in sidecar files) because that is the only way you can save changes to a raw file - you cannot save the raw file itself. Traditional image editors do not save your changes (although you can use layers yourself and preserve each step in the editing flow).

Rich

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: editing software, acdee, software, photoshop alternative, lightroom alternative, post processing, editor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users