Photo

Acdsee Photo Editing Software

editing software acdee software photoshop alternative lightroom alternative post processing editor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Subhasis

Subhasis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikon 70-300 vr 4.5-5.6
  • Flashes:SB500
  • Camera Body or Bodies:D750

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

Hi All,

Can anyone please suggest about ACDsee Ultimate? Is it worth buying? I think its currently on sale for $70

#2 Vinny

Vinny

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 18-105mm
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm
  • Flashes:Nikon SB-600
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D90

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

I am trying it out now, I think it's OK. It seems user friendly enough and portions are non destructive to the original photo. Ultimate 11 is supposed to be coming out soon which is probably why it is on sale.

I haven't tried it's file management portion, but for actual photo manipulation it has a lot of easy to use tools. It has layers in it for some additional enhancements like merging photos.

They have a 30 day money back guarantee I believe, you can always try it and if you don't like it get your money back.

#3 Vinny

Vinny

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

I see they have this software on sale until August 7th ... IMO - trial it for a week or so and buy it if you like it. I think for an almost all inclusive program it is a great price!

#4 Subhasis

Subhasis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, i am trying it out. It looks good but i faced few drawback or limitations. Like it does not show history like light room. I had to save the changes so that i can go back to a particular point.
In Develop mode after doing some changes by mistake if u press escape all the changes will be reverted without asking for any confirmation. Not sure from setting this can be changed or not.
But obviously its much cheaper than Photoshop cc. So i think these are acceptable.
I wish one lisence would cover both windows and mac version. But the don't have any mac version 🙁

#5 rdb images

rdb images

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

I would not use any software that is not 100% non-destructive to the original photo. I use ON1 Photo Raw 2017. Reasonable price and 100% non-destructive. All the power of Lightroom plus it handles layers (which Lightroom does not.) Doesn't require cataloging. Very good support and plenty of training materials.

Bob

#6 Subhasis

Subhasis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I will look at it as well.

#7 Vinny

Vinny

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

ON1 Photo RAW is glitchy which is why I didn't mention it; I REALLY like it a lot when it works. ACDSee is just OK to me when compared to RAW but ACDSee is more stable at the moment. I do like the Light EQ and pixel targeting that ACDSee has but when RAW works everything can be non destructive even in layers - just make them smart.

As far as workflow - every program is going to be different. I'm not sure if ON1 RAW has a history area (never looked as I didn't use it) but it is so easy to go to each item you did  and adjust even in layers. It will convert the raw file to PSD when you you go into layers and lock the previous raw adjustments in. They offer a 30 day trial as well so no loss. Just my opinion but when it works it is the best program out there; that being said I did stop using it because it is glitchy.

Ultimate 11 is coming out soon as is Luminar so if they can match the power of ON1 it will be interesting. 

#8 rdb images

rdb images

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Vinny,

Do you have a graphics card with at least 1MB of RAM? ON1 Photo RAW has moved much of the processing to the video card. I have not had any problems with stability with Photo RAW.

Bob

#9 Vinny

Vinny

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tokina 35mm
    Tokina 12-28mm

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

Yes, I have a Nvidia GT730 with 2 GB of memory. It glitches in a few areas and not all the time. A few people on a RAW users FB page complain about it and some have zero problems. I had put a few trouble tickets in and they tried to repair the problem globally but even if they fixed one thing another would pop up. I was living with the glitches but it got to the point of I shouldn't have to live with something I can't rely on.

Right now RAW won't open if my computer is on for any length of time but if I reboot it will work - no other program does that. Both RAW and 10.5 won't open a TIFF or JPEG from my scanner (I suspect they share some parts of the program) where every other program I have does and it worked the day before, things that should be aligned in layers are not and other small and big glitches.

I am really hoping they get it working 100% for everyone but I am looking for a go to program. With 1 new program and 1 updated program  coming out in a very short time maybe they will raise the bar and be close to what RAW should be. I think ACDSee has potential but like you said - it is not non destructive.

#10 rdb images

rdb images

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

Vinny,

I have the save video card. My apologies for my earlier post where I mentioned 1 MB of video RAM. I don't know what I was thinking. 1 GB would be the absolute minimum to run ON1 Photo 2017. Hopefully ON1 will fix the trouble some people have. I think it is a good program. I fully agree that if the program doesn't work all the time it is not worth using.

Bob

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: editing software, acdee, software, photoshop alternative, lightroom alternative, post processing, editor

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users