• Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

A few B&W shots from downtown Oklahoma City.
1)Devon Energy Center
Canon 7D, EF-S 10-18mm STM @ 10mm & f/8, ISO 100, 1/160

2)Myriad Performance Plaza
Canon 7D, EF-S 10-18mm STM @ 12mm & f/8, ISO 100, 1/320

3)City Place Tower
Canon 7D, EF-S 10-18mm STM @ 10mm & f/9, ISO 100, +-2 HDR

4)"Draw me like one of your French girls"
Canon 7D, EF-S 18-135mm STM @ 103mm & f/8, ISO 400, 1/500

#2 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

Nice images David!
I like the first best. Very dramatic. Love it!
I would have voted for the 4th image as my favorite, but the guy behind the fence distracts from the wonderful pose of the foreground guy!

#3 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

They're great David.

The processing, especially in the second one looks very good.  I lobe that dark sky - a bit like IR images.

The only thing to question would be the lens distortion on the right-hand towers, but at 12mm ?  That's the way its going to be.

The first one emphasises the height of the building beautifully.

The City Palace Tower is also a good one.

The last one ?

Things were going great - and then they hit an iceberg... :rolleyes:

#4 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

I do really enjoy your architectural pics which extend an appreciation of aspects of Oklahoma city, and I think I appreciate some of the difficulties that would be photographers and architects face in the REAL world when trying to create or capture their vision of whatever.. It came as a bit of a surprise to me that Architects were trained (at least "locally")  in ART school when I expected them to be more mathematically grounded in terms of hard core structure, but I guess that is where structural engineers play their part...

Sorry rambling a bit.... photography meets architecture.. Now I guess one has to determine whether it may be better to try to capture the reality of a scene or just how much artistic licence might be acceptable... merging old with new may ever seem to be a real issue for architects and photographers alike (?) and it seems glass may be accepted as the medium that accomplishes that to best effect..?

The first image really captures the stark nature of a glazed tower and the way it fits so well as a statement amongst the other glazed structures... BUT..the architect could have perhaps avoided having cars park so close to it`s base but had no control over the older building with the ugly (?) roof top sign... whereas the photographer can create an alternative vision to stark reality with a bit of clever PP, and is thus the vision he seeks to create may be  somewhat less constrained....?   I guess much in the creation of an image is down to the motivation behind it`s creation to capture an accurate or create a vision...or indeed somewhere in between...(-:

Your second image of the interesting art work and buildings seem affected by shadows which detract somewhat, as a photographer I suspect there may have been options in that regard and you no doubt considered them, you still captured an interesting scene.  

Your third image is also interesting in that it captures a degree of the evolution in architectural design relative to the passage of time and perhaps you chose B&W to dilute the effect of the inevitable street level jumble of colours from  shop-front advertising to vehicles of all shapes and shades, thus it works well for ME..(-:

Perhaps a French lady in that same pose in a different location may have created more ..err...impact, though there are times when any one is due a few minutes to stretch out in the course of building a city or anything else... Yup the guy behind the fence kinda brakes up what otherwise might have seemed a more relaxed image ... (-:

Thanks for posting David.    

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users