• Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Would be pleased to receive ANY CC on this pic.

f11  1/60th ISO 100  Nikkor 70-200 @ 70mm tripod mounted. CP in use. Just record photography..?

Attached Files

#2 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

geedee, I can't help but to wonder what is to the right of the photo, more of a panoramic view showing more of those taller columns and the background hillside... shot at f 22 maybe?  As is, the flowers add a nice color pop, maybe brighten a little, the dark tree takes away from the shot, just my amateur 2 cents, thanks for posting, probably a record photo :)

#3 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

I like the image but would like a more panoramic view as well. What I really want is for someone to climb on a ladder and shoot the view beyond the wall with the wall as the foreground.

#4 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:15 AM

As Doug & John said:

While the flowers are very nice, that block wall is obscuring something that could be amazing on the other side of it !

A ladder or, a trampoline plus a fast shutter and VR enabled might work :rolleyes:

#5 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,346 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

Thanks guys, I REALLY do appreciate you taking the time to comment on my pics. I am trying to improve my understanding of the mix of mechanics and art that exist within photography and the variety of it`s use and interpretation of so very much...(-:

That it seems you want to see more would seem to suggest that the pic works on one level that seems to affect your line of thought..(-: and it was Doug who drove me out of the comfort of my armchair circa 22:00 hrs to try to capture an extension to the scene... and reading the comments of John and Rod, I`m now glad I did. I hope to post it as a follow-up below. Sorry Rod, unlike a large percentage of UK gardens there is no trampoline in this one..(-:

Doug, spot on in terms of the chance of this pic being kept as a record more than it ever being considered truly artistic, though I like to think I tried to be somewhat artistic in it`s framing while also trying to best use my limited photographic skills to capture it as I did.. John there is a panorama available over the wall, all one might be required to do is stand up and point the camera  though it is perhaps best left to the imagination than trying to capture the reality, however the foreground restrictions do eventually open out to the hills immediately beyond and walking a hundred yards or so would present a different scene..(-:

The value of record photography...? In this case I was challenged somewhat in terms of trying to capture with some degree of accuracy in- camera, a structure I built with the intention of creating an outlook that might be considered an improvement of the reality of that which existed before.  The pic I took last night added to the challenge in that the light was very different as the sun had set behind the distant hill and Doug seemed interested in a wider view of the scene... Wider view and at a suggested f 22 would push my abilities somewhat ... great..(-:  So definitely creating a record pic now..

Sorry there is no hillside panorama beyond the wall as we all might wish for, but the retaining wall was built to improve an otherwise mundane and somewhat unkempt outlook, and create a cattle resistant barrier to allow me to create a small area of  planting that might bring colour to eventually take away the stark appearance of the wall it`s self...  I dug the soil broke out the rock by hand on which to create the stepped foundations on which the 25kg blocks were built, by hand as a solo performance, created an area for planting bordered by HEAVY concrete kerb stones and laid the paving beyond which took many many tons of digging lifting and shifting materials over more years than I care to remember... So such pics have far more value to me as a record, though in terms of the acquisition of photographic ability they also have value to me in terms of trying to improve, thus again underlining the value I place on you for taking the time to comment.

And yeah, in relation to the pic below, it can be as light as that just after sunset here at this time of year, though some slight overall PP was used but not to make anything POP more to reduce the effect of burn out in the sky as the sun set directly behind the distant hill.

Rod, just for you I will also try to post an attempt from a couple of days ago to capture the flowers in more detail..(-:

As before ANY CC is welcomed.

First pic obviously f 22 (-;  1/sec  ISO 100  Nikkor 14-24 @ 24mm

Flowers  f11 (!) 1/80th  ISO 100 Nikkor 70-200 @ 130mm  tripod mounted.     

Attached Files

• Robbie S likes this

#6 pthomsen

pthomsen

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHughson, CA
  • Lenses:Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art
    Nikon Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR ED DX
    Nikon AF‑S DX Nikkor 18‑55mm f/3.5‑5.6G VR
  • Flashes:None
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D3100
    Nikon D5500
    iPhone 7 Plus

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

This almost feels like a still life to me, but the last column on the right makes me think there is more to see (as others have noted).  I like the colors and contrasts, and the ivy on the column makes me think old English country manor...

I think maybe cropping the right column out, might give more calmness to the image.

#7 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Nice work on the flowers,Geedee.

The composition really works.  I like that diagonal and the blast of orange valances the top left corner well

#8 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,346 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the input Pthomsen, I am pleased you found some interest in the pic. I guess if a pic leaves us wanting to see more then perhaps it works to some degree.

Rod those flowers deserved to be photographed..(-:

#9 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 14mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
    Fujinon 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

I like the photograph of just the flowers.  Nice composition.  I particularly like the diagonal line of purple going corner to corner, punctuated with the round of orange flowers.  The stone wall behind adds nice texture and juxtaposition between nature and manmade.  Well done.

• geedee likes this

#10 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,346 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:53 AM

While I planted the flowers I can not take credit for the way they presented themselves...(-:  I am pleased that you found something of interest in the pic, though I wonder if others more skilled than I might have made them POP a bit more ..as seems to fit the desires/expectations of photography..?

#11 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,365 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB, Canada
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

In addition to the other's comments, I would raise the exposure just a bit in post.  Also, shooting at f22 introduces diffraction and will soften the shot.  I'd keep it around f11.

David

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#12 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 14mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
    Fujinon 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the input Pthomsen, I am pleased you found some interest in the pic. I guess if a pic leaves us wanting to see more then perhaps it works to some degree.

Rod those flowers deserved to be photographed..(-:

Geedee, it is not a question of how the flowers chose to present themselves.  It is a question of how you chose to present them.

While I planted the flowers I can not take credit for the way they presented themselves...(-:  I am pleased that you found something of interest in the pic, though I wonder if others more skilled than I might have made them POP a bit more ..as seems to fit the desires/expectations of photography..?

Geedee, it is not a question of how the flowers chose to present themselves.  It is a question of how you chose to present them.

#13 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,346 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the input Kerry, David I note Thomas Heaton (Landscape photographer/vlogger) seems to use f11 regularly.

#14 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • 3,848 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hmmmm,  f 22 unless you don't care about the background, worked great 20 + years ago with film ;)

#15 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,346 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:20 AM

Interesting guys... I had initially thought f 22 was THE setting for landscape and it seemed that Thomas Heaton choose f11 on a regular basis (?), for which there must be a good reason as he puts so much effort into his work and trekking to find and photograph wonderful locations, I wondered if his decision might have been based on the sweet spot relative to one or more of his lenses....? From a poor memory he uses the Cannon 70-200 f4 on occasion, apparently chosen over the f2.8 on terms of weight saving but I suspect if picture quality was an issue between the two lenses he would lug the f2.8 in his kit.. ?

I suspect that we may be inclined to hold beliefs in this that or the other to which dependant on our nature we may adhere to blindly or somewhat less so, even down to arguing that which is proven scientifically, though I think the worlds top scientists argue amongst themselves on occasion too...(-:

It seems there may be NO right or wrong whenever variables come into play and the more variables in question the more room for ..err.. confusion to exist..?    Photography would seem to have it`s fair share of variables, believers, and folk who might understand the more scientific aspects thereof.... but in the end it may comes down to appreciation of ..err..ART, and in that regard the Turner prize has taught me I know nothing of art, so I look to the likes of C&T as well as Thomas Heaton and others for SOME sort of guidance, though that they may to some extent hold dear their chosen beliefs too.... and that they seem to differ on something perhaps as elementary as the use of filters...HMM.. those variables strike again...?

ME..?  I have only printed and framed one of my pics and even at that it is in a curved (thus free standing) glass frame it is a 10x8" print from a household quality printer thus in general terms quality is unlikely to be the best and that it was taken with a point and shoot (Nikon e990) some years back... so my ability to appreciate either or both art or science might be somewhat suspect...(-:

Someday I might just capture something that I consider worth printing larger and perhaps in the hope of doing so I have over time built up my photographic kit to the extent that I can no longer blame my kit for the lack of quality in my pics....(-:

No big deal to select a few f stops between f11 and f22 in any landscape situation I might find myself given these days it seems the norm may be to fire the shutter off numerous times in the hope of capturing just one image from a series that might be better than the rest ...?

As one who`s nature seeks comfort in starting out with a firm foundation/datum...and building on that, photography like much else can be confusing at times...(-:   I have to content myself that it just might be that variety is indeed the spice of life...(-: 

Yeah, thinking in type too much...(-:       

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users