• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 14mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
    Fujinon 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

I just wanted to recommend this amazing book "The Soul of the Camera: The Photographer's Place in Picture-making" by David duChemin.  I should say right off that this is not a "tips and tricks" book.  What he is talking about really is what it means to be in a soulful relationship with the world and how we express that through our photographs.  It is a book about creativity and seeing.  He doesn't dismiss technique but continuously reminds us that photographers make pictures not cameras.  He reminds us, too, that acknowledging ourselves as artists is not grandiose or egotistical but is rather embracing a way of being in the world, a way not only of seeing but of taking responsibility for sharing that vision.  I found reading the book a very humbling experience but also very inspiring.  I would recommend it for anyone, even those who are not photographers, who wants to go deeper in their understanding of what it means to creatively and expressively be in the world.  I imagine I will read and re-read this book many times over the coming years and I suspect that as I grow as a photographer, I'll find new meaning each time.  Highly, highly recommended.

#2 Robbie S

Robbie S

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGeraldine, Canterbury, New Zealand
  • Lenses:Canon Efs 18-135 IS STM
    Canon Efs 55-250 IS STM
    Tamron SP AF 90mm Di Macro 1:1
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN568Ex II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon Eos 700D
    Bushnell 14MP 'Aggressor' Trail Camera
    Tripod
    Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Kerry, looks fascinating.

If any one is stuck with their photography or post processing and thinking of giving up or selling their gear(or worse) take a look at a book called The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.

Or take a look at her website, juliacameronlive.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users